Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fear of some potential EVO buyers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, there are alot of those immature kids out there with rich parents that would pay extra to get that evo for their kids. Well, not all kids will be irresponsible, but some... yeah.. I'm bairly 18, and reason i want an evo is because for transportation purposes, and trying out a new awd car... Well i mean i can always get another sedan like an maxima, altima, and etc.. but the reason is because you see them so much out in the street it gets very boring. Like, if i had a Lancer OZ, i would be stopping at a stop light, and i would look around and see all the civics, accords, and all those and bairly see that lancer in the corner. Well, i would get a lancer, but i've heard that around 0-30 mph it rides like a cloud, but as you go pass that speed, you feel all that bump and stuff...
(yes heres an fact coming out from an 18 yr old. )
Old Oct 29, 2002, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

I think really, one thing we have to think about is the maturity level of the people who are going to sell the cars at the dealerships. I say that because at a Business stand point I have to understand why a dealer would do the act of selling this car even if they know it's going to an 18 yo or younger that is going to drive it. In this day and age and I think everyone has found for themselves that kids (refering to people under 18 but those who might be older with a low maturity level) are getting more things they don't actually "need". What Erik said in his posts is true, if parents are gonna be out there and buying this car for their kids, becuase they want it so bad without doing any research, then i wonder how much they really care for their children. I mean one of my friends back home wanted to buy a brand new 300zx TT at sixteen/seventeen. That just sounds absurd and he was close to getting it because the dealer was willing to sell it, thankfully his mother came to her senses and read more about the car and he got a pathfinder in the end. And guess what? i think a few months after that he crashed the Pathfinder, we can all imagine how bad it would have been if it had been the 300zx.

So In conclusion my opinion about this matter is like this, Kids need to grow up and get out of this videogame mentality, Parents need to be more aware of things, and Dealers need to have some moral values. I'm not trying to pick on everyone who is < 18, there are probably many who deserve to drive an Evo, but sure as hell, not everyone does. That might even be another reason never brought the Evo to the US in the first place, too many kids would give it a bad image.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want an evo for transportation reasons and to look different then buy something else. I know this is hard when your 18 but a car will not make you different than anyone else.

I'm starting to hope that the us version gets the slower GsR steering rack. On the Evo if you think about being in the next lane; you are.

I have heard this it won't happen to me stuff so many times.

Eri
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

This is sort of what I am talking about. Not those with race experience who know the power is for the track, and once and a while some responsible fun in wide-open areas with no traffic. I have respect for those who go to the track and learn. The people I am talking about are those who have no track time or experience and want to buy this car and "tear up the streets" like fast and the furious.

***"and reason i want an evo is because for transportation purposes, and trying out a new awd car"***

Wrong car. If you want an All wheel drive car for basic transportation, all subaru's have all wheel drive. You can get a base Impreza. Or go Toyota and get an all-wheel-drive Matrix. I think the Vibe has AWD as well as an option.

***" Well i mean i can always get another sedan like an maxima,
altima, and etc.. but the reason is because you see them so much out in the street it gets very boring."***

Maxima and altima are not even in the same category as the Evolution.

***(referring to Lancer OZ) but i've heard that around 0-30 mph it rides like a cloud, but as you go pass that speed, you feel all that bump and stuff...***

I have VERY bad news for you. The EVO is not a soft ride at ALL. You will feel every bump at every speed and maybe even the PAINT on the road. The car is built for performance, not a soft comfortable ride. The seats are stiff to hold you in tight and the suspension is anything but soft. A real performance car produces feedback on which the driver can read/feel and then input the correct responses according to the cars feedback.

Mike
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:46 AM
In Timeout

Its called beign ignorant, anda ctually havign some jealous to someone who is young and is fortunate to get a car. In my case, im 19 adn my parents are "helping" me purchase the Evo 7 from E.i. But the only reason i got this was because I'm getting my degree so they actually wanted to. ANd nooooo, I actualyl drive pretty good, I had 13 sec Type R, so dont think I wouldnt be able to drive an AWD vehicle, after all my brother does have a ABT chipped S4, lol..... that thing didn't play. But yeah, you shouldn't use those comments to every1, your just making people hate, and hating leads to ppl damaging cars!!!! Ive seen it done... so yea.. just be a lil more careful!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

The below comment is my point of this post.

Originally posted by RedEvo6
But yeah, you shouldn't use those comments to every1, your just making people hate, and hating leads to ppl damaging cars!!!! Ive seen it done... so yea.. just be a lil more careful!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know about you guys but I live in a city where MB S-class and BMW 7 series are very very common.

I see kids (highschoolers) in 30K jeeps, Audis, bmws, even humvees, Porsche, etc everyday.

I have a feeling this car will become very popular here and unfortunately for me, their parents probably wont mind paying a few thousand over MSRP to make their kids happy.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Given general driver aptitude here, we might as well ask for stricter driver's license testing.
In Switzerland you get a 120 question test, passing is 75%. Driver testing is 45 minutes of city, rural and highway driving. If you did not take drivers ed classes for at least 1 month you will fail, guaranteed.
Does it make for better drivers, who knows. But I think it would keep certain undesireable individuals off the road and away from cars like the EVO.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

The hardest part on most US driving tests is the parallel parking.

I know the world has changed but I went to school also and I never got a car from my parents. I live in Orange County and I see many kids driving $40K plus cars. I feel sorry for them.

Erik
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:31 AM

I'm all for harder driving tests - I don't know about the U.S. but in Canada it is a joke - my 8 year old son with his 2 years of karting experiance is a better driver than most of the cell phone talking / latte drinking / makeup putting on people out there.
Thank god he can't reach the pedals in my S2000 or I would be in real trouble!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

That's hilarious, I just got back from lunch and I am sitting here sipping my grande soy vanilla latte from starbucks lol

Mike
Old Oct 29, 2002, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RedEvo6
Its called beign ignorant, anda ctually havign some jealous to someone who is young and is fortunate to get a car. In my case, im 19 adn my parents are "helping" me purchase the Evo 7 from E.i. But the only reason i got this was because I'm getting my degree so they actually wanted to. ANd nooooo, I actualyl drive pretty good, I had 13 sec Type R, so dont think I wouldnt be able to drive an AWD vehicle, after all my brother does have a ABT chipped S4, lol..... that thing didn't play. But yeah, you shouldn't use those comments to every1, your just making people hate, and hating leads to ppl damaging cars!!!! Ive seen it done... so yea.. just be a lil more careful!
umm..

yeah...

I hope you're not seeking an english degree..

I'm not so sure that posting using this vernacular is helping your case much.

as for me, I'm 23, am working as a degreed mechanical engineer, and this will be my 3rd car. It will also be my first fast car. I have no track time or experience (jeeps tend to not do well dragging), but I have experience 4-wheeling and such. Due to the jeep, I will probably be the most conservative evo driver out there, b/c I'm so used to taking turns slowly and braking way early. I don't think I'll be a danger to anybody, so i think its a bit too broad to group all under 30's, or all non-track experienced people into the same "non-deserving" group.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

No one deserves an Evo. Just like no one is owed a car if they perform a task either. You earn an Evo by working for it. If you get one as a gift at least appreciate your good furtune.

As a group, young drivers have a much larger percentage of the accidents than any other age group. That IS the fact here. I have heard this "it may be true of everyone else but not me because I'm special" so many times before. History says that many of you younger Evo owners will get into accidents.

Also many of you will miss out on the fun of working on a POS car to keep it on the road. You can learn a lot about the world under a POS car.

Erik
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think that people should be labeled here for being young and attach that reckless to it as well. All kind of ages are known to be immature. When you are in your 19s it is kind of hard to have an experience in life and driving (particularly to this case), so people like to generalize things in this case. This is the fact that you have bunch of those that do fit perfectly into the category, but that still doesn't mean that all of them are like that.

The thing is that EVO (latest versions especially) are powerful cars and what one of my friend said once they are hiding how quick they really are. If you compare the stock EVO with the stock Z28 or a Cobra or something similar, those other cars would put you in a trouble very easy (maybe even easier, especially if it is slippery outside). I would even say that it is safer to drive an EVO than a Camaro.

So, people should probably cool off a little bit and let this go. EVO is a great car and it is mainly made for the enthusiasts. But, c'mon. I had my car driven by all kind of people with very little experience and they did fine. There is nothing for sure that just because an EVO has 300 HP, young driver is going to crash it. There us a good chance for it, but not for sure! And those chances are the same for the guy in the Civic that dances on the highway driving around 100 mph. I would even say, they would be safer in an EVO than that Honda!

The fact is that if someone wants to drive fast they would do it with anything they have. If that is the case, better do it in something that is capable of traveling at those speeds!

There is more than one view of this, so just chill out and relax!!

Mr. AWD

Quick Reply: Fear of some potential EVO buyers