Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fear of some potential EVO buyers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm, how are you guys applying the phrase "typical young driver" i'm sorry, but i'm actually offended. NO!!!!!! i have not been in some SCCA road-course event and participated, but i find myself to be a very well responsible driver. Two hands on the steering wheel, off to shift and right back on, throttle blipping keeping aware of my surroundings. Seriously i speed all the time, but guess what? have never ever ever come close to an accident, not in any way. I'm 18 turning 19 and have driven cars unimaginable already (WRX's that lay well over 390 AWHP, Cobra SVT's, Z06's and the list goes on). My car is as well a nice fast ride and with the ESP turned off it would be just like driving an evo .The ESP turned on does the monitoring of yaw, steering column monitoring, and other sorts of special things that audi has incorporated. Without it on all you have is the quattro system which takes raw talent to use without all the electronics, and personally i dont use the ESP too much, more on highways but not too much. Seriously i am very very offended by the comments that have been made about young drivers. Even if their dad did buy them a 30k+ car, maybe they are car enthusiast just like you, for instance i didn't want a fucggin ninja turtle, i told my parents to save for my car when it was time to get one. I understand there are bad drivers who drive bmw's and are 16, but there are bad drivers everywhere. you could be 35 in a ford taurus doesn't make you a good driver. Sounds to me that the kids that are 16-22 getting cars handed to them is giving you guys the green-eye, because they are getting something you want without having to work as hard (with the exception of doing good in school). Like most have said age doesn't determine responsibility. morals, ethics, and how you were brought up does. IMHO

Last edited by Boostin30vs; Oct 29, 2002 at 12:23 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boostin sorry I offended you but so what.

Tell me with a straight face that young inexperienced drivers are not involved in more accidents than any other age group. That you feel it does not apply to you doesn't really matter. The S4 is nothing like an Evo.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. I am probably the least jealous person you will ever yell at over the Internet.

Again, Boostin, stay offended.

Erik
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:32 PM

please show me where i said teens weren't part of lots of accidents. you don't get my point i see, it's when you apply this to all teens, is when i get offended.

yes we can go on and on about this debate of young versus old, but ummmm lets take this for instance. There are MANY a people who get their cars rolled that are over 23 and yup you guessed it they AREN'T at the track. I have many of friends over the age of 21 and moving on into the 35-40 range, they have flipped, crashed, totalled more cars than you can think of.

What i'm saying is don't apply this "irresponsible driving to ALL youngsters"

Driving is driving you either know how to do it or not, seriously i have never had a problem adjusting to cars, i think if i can drive what i have driven, then i can take an evo after some getting used to. Take it slow at first get used to the steering and then go at it, on somebodies track and some twisties. I'm just asking you to say with the the "exception of some youngsters" when you speak of driving matters. i do not combat the facts of teens being the cause of lots of accidents, but you should try looking at your generation too.

P.S. please don't speak on my car if you have never seen the darkness behind it. anyway that's a whole different thing, which i choose not to speak on do to past experiences.

Last edited by Boostin30vs; Oct 29, 2002 at 12:34 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This has gone from general to specific really quickly. I don't think anyone's asking for justification from young buyers or for those who agree with the observation to further justify their claims. Nobody who wants a little beast of a car is going to claim to be a bad driver. I can understand the observation, but I doubt anyone's going to say "Yeah, that applies to me. I'm that irresponsible, dangerous driving youngin and I'm still getting an Evo." Eh...I forgot where I was going with this. Senile at 22. Freakin' great.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have many of friends over the age of 21 and moving on into the 35-40 range, they have flipped, crashed, totalled more cars than you can think of.
They've also spent far more time on the roads. It's funny to think I've driven more than twice as much as most 20 year olds and I'm only 2 years older. Not trying to argue, just bringing up a very important counterpoint to your point. Those people have been on the roads almost as long as you've been alive. ...Just for a point of reference.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:41 PM

exactly right hobie, but i'm NOT the teen who speeds through school construction etc. zones, im NOT the teen who has to swerve through a busy highway, im NOT the teen who wants to do 55 in a fuggin monsoon when rain is pouring like **** after a keg stand, im NOT the teen who feels the need to burn out in a busy parking lot to impress friends.

No i'm not sticking up for all the retarded morons who do this, i'm sticking up for the few who don't do it at all, and they are out there.

With this being said there are irresponsible teens out there as well as people, but there's no reason to say that "we don't think teens should have the car." if you can handle it, know how to control your greed for speed, then why not hand over the keys to a 17 year old, just lay down the law if you are the parent. LET THEM KNOW THIS IS NOT A TOY, and teach them when to push the limits and when to remain in control of their wants for acceleration, because older people do the same thing. When there is an open highway, they open up their cars let em rip @ 120+ and it's all go from there.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:46 PM

They've also spent far more time on the roads. It's funny to think I've driven more than twice as much as most 20 year olds and I'm only 2 years older. Not trying to argue, just bringing up a very important counterpoint to your point. Those people have been on the roads almost as long as you've been alive. ...Just for a point of reference.
right and i don't see you as trying to argue, we are just having a friendly debate, seriously im not that uptight to get into a fight over nothing. what im saying is there's always room for error some situations are unavoidable, just most teens like to put themselves in unavoidable situations. like i said im not sticking up for the dumbasses, just the smart ones who get caught in error.

about the driving and being on the road thing, hahaha i'm like you i have been in more driving situations experiences, than most people who are 21. Driving is my passion and soon to be my life after school I drive all the time, i wake up in the night get some milk grab the keys, wash my face, wake-up go driving @ 2 a.m. then come back and get back in bed (well i have done it a few times) but yeah lol, that's just me.

Still i see where you're coming from

Last edited by Boostin30vs; Oct 29, 2002 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by erikgj

Also many of you will miss out on the fun of working on a POS car to keep it on the road. You can learn a lot about the world under a POS car.

Erik
I know all too well about a POS car. I'm still trying to keep my POS jeep crawling along until the damn evo gets here. Its the car that I had in my poor college days. I've had to replace the engine that blew 2 months after I bought it, replace the rear diff that locked up on me, i've gone thru about 3 starter motors, 2 windshield wiper motor, brake rotors, broken seats, leaky windshield, leaky top, holes in exhaust, valve lifters are rattling, my ignition key no longer works.... the list goes on.. all the work done myself mind you (maybe thats why I've had so much trouble with it)

I refuse to spend any more $$ on it, and i dont want to buy a car for a couple of months until evo comes out. if doesnt hurry, I'm gonne have to cut a hole in the floorpan and use my car like fred flintstone.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Boostin30vs

i wake up in the night get some milk grab the keys, wash my face, wake-up go driving @ 2 a.m. then come back and get back in bed
I dont think a booty call counts as passion for driving... thats passion for something else

Erik, according to your logic that young people are in more accidents and therefore unsafe drivers, unfit for an evo, then arent all men? Men are about twice as likely to have an accident that women according to your statistics... so now should only women drive evos?

I know, lets let only blind people and preteens drive evos.. you almost never hear of them crashing their cars
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

My point is not age either. But I can sometimes discriminate age because there are so FEW young drivers who actually know what they are doing. There are young drivers that exist that have had lots of track time and grew up with a racing lifestyle. What sparks the post is the number of people that bought BASE model Lancers and now all of a sudden are upgrading to the EVO. "oh the base model was not the fast car, but everyone says this one is so now I have to buy this one!" That means one less Evo for an enthusiast and one more Evo for someone who thinks the Lancer OZ is a race car.

My points are:

1. Parents buying a high-performance car for their child, because he/she wants the car, but knows nothing about driving such a vehicle. (probably why so many new Celica and RSX drivers MIS SHIFT their 6-speed).

2. He/she buying a high performance car just because "it's cool" to have such a fast car and wants it for basic transportation, and probably plans on using the cars power irresponsibly, putting the lives of other people at risk.

Mike

Last edited by ChicagoMike; Oct 29, 2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:42 PM

Well, people are making generalizations when they say that young people are bad drivers. However, it is mostly a valid generalization. Of course, there is always some exception to a generalization. With young people, they just don't have the same driving experience (MOST of the time). I'm not against young people having fast cars, eh. I'm 17 and I drive my dad's old car, the XR4Ti, and that's nice turbocharged rear-wheel drive car.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
My point is not age either. But I can sometimes discriminate age because there are so FEW young drivers who actually know what they are doing. There are young drivers that exist that have had lots of track time and grew up with a racing lifestyle. What sparks the post is the number of people that bought BASE model Lancers and now all of a sudden are upgrading to the EVO. "oh the base model was not the fast car, but everyone says this one is so now I have to buy this one!" That means one less EVO for an enthusiast and one more Evo for someone who thinks the Lancer OZ is a race car.
So what? What are you afraid of here? If they want to drive fast, they will do it in anything they have. That could be an 89 Civic, 01 Cobra or a 03 EVO.

We all had a phases in our lives. At one point of time, I was thinking that Suzuki 1.3 GSi is the best car ever made! Probably, because it was the closest one to the something better than a 1.3 liter Golf that I had a chance to have one eventually. Still, that didn't mater and that was The car to have!! If people think that OZ is a race car, so what. It is faster than some other cars and still slower than those other ones. Put your self into their shoes and you might see things differently!

Also posted by ChicagoMike
1. Parents buying a high-performance car for their child, because he/she wants the car, but knows nothing about driving such a vehicle. (probably why so many new Celica and RSX drivers MIS SHIFT their 6-speed).

2. He/she buying a high performance car just because "it's cool" to have such a fast car and wants it for basic transportation, and probably plans on using the cars power irresponsibly, putting the lives of other people at risk.
Well it is a free country and those guys have a right to drive an EVO as much as you and I. I just can't see why you seem to be upset because of it

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thwack

I dont think a booty call counts as passion for driving... thats passion for something else

Erik, according to your logic that young people are in more accidents and therefore unsafe drivers, unfit for an evo, then arent all men? Men are about twice as likely to have an accident that women according to your statistics... so now should only women drive evos?

I know, lets let only blind people and preteens drive evos.. you almost never hear of them crashing their cars
Go back to the actuarial tables Thwack, the difference between accident rates for 30+ male and female drivers are pretty close. The accident rate for young drivers under 21 is much higher than any other age or sex group.

I'm not saying any particular driver can not handle an Evo. Just as a group young drivers should not be given a car that outperforms 99.99% of all the cars on the road. Does it make any sense?

Erik
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by erikgj
Go back to the actuarial tables Thwack, the difference between accident rates for 30+ male and female drivers are pretty close. The accident rate for young drivers under 21 is much higher than any other age or sex group.
This is unfortunately true. Too many of those young guys do have more accidents than the other population and lots of them are lost for good because of it.

Also posted by erikgj
I'm not saying any particular driver can not handle an Evo. Just as a group young drivers should not be given a car that outperforms 99.99% of all the cars on the road. Does it make any sense?
Well, if you take an Z28 or a 02 Cobra for example, they would out-accelerate any stock EVO from the rolling start. And ones they get to the 80 or 100 mph, it will take them longer to stop if they try. How can you say that EVO is less appropriate than those other cars for the inexperienced drivers?

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 29, 2002, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

This is unfortunately true. Too many of those young guys do have more accidents than the other population and lots of them are lost for good because of it.

Well, if you take an Z28 or a 02 Cobra for example, they would out-accelerate any stock EVO from the rolling start. And ones they get to the 80 or 100 mph, it will take them longer to stop if they try. How can you say that EVO is less appropriate than those other cars for the inexperienced drivers?

Mr. AWD
I don't think they are appropriate either. Probably even less appropriate.

Erik

Quick Reply: Fear of some potential EVO buyers