Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fear of some potential EVO buyers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2002, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by shirokuma
No. My god, no. That is a fundamental error that keeps cropping up.

It is *not* much better for a youngish driver to start with an Evo. As a matter of fact, a high hp RWD *is* better.
I cut the rest of your thread since it is just above, but all the points are done very well.

Once, I had a very experienced Mustang guy (like 10 sec streetable Mustangs that he builds, races, and drives around) and my car was making slightly over 300 HP at the time. His comment was that car lies to you about how fast it is. That is exactly why those cars are going to be very difficult for the less experienced drivers of any age.

Mr. AWD
Old Nov 3, 2002, 10:50 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all statistics really, but look at race car drivers?? Look at Francious Delecuor, BOOOOM accident and he must have way more high speed hours then any1 out here!
Old Nov 4, 2002, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RedEvo6
It's all statistics really, but look at race car drivers?? Look at Francious Delecuor, BOOOOM accident and he must have way more high speed hours then any1 out here!
So what does that have to do with this thread?
Old Nov 4, 2002, 02:38 PM

Thank you RedEvo6!

Thats the point i was making. Everyone argues that because they have more experiance, they can drive the car, and the younger kids cant cuz they dont have the experiance.

The point Erikgl is that, no matter how much experiance you have, **** happens. Age is nothing but a number and one more trip around the sun....It shouldnt be used as a reason your better than anyone else.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Problem is, **** tends to happen more to the inexperienced...
Old Nov 4, 2002, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Omega_801
Thank you RedEvo6!

Thats the point i was making. Everyone argues that because they have more experiance, they can drive the car, and the younger kids cant cuz they dont have the experiance.

The point Erikgl is that, no matter how much experiance you have, **** happens. Age is nothing but a number and one more trip around the sun....It shouldnt be used as a reason your better than anyone else.
No one is comparing skills with anyone else here. You all may well be better drivers than me.

To translate the statistics Omega more **** happens to inexperienced drivers than any other age group. It has been like that in every human endevor since time began.

Who many ways can I say it.

Erik
Old Nov 4, 2002, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

How the hell can anyone bring Delacour into this? he's in the WRC for crying out loud, I doubt any of us will really be doing that kind of driving. Plus it's a somewhat different car that he is driving on totally different roads and conditions. I think the point that was made was about **** happening more to inexperienced drivers in regular conditions ( regular road, weather, whatever) on a non- rally Evolution.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 05:13 PM

Doesn't BMW require people who buy an M5 to take a driving course before they can pick it up in SC or something like that?

Or have I simply been sorely misled throughout my life on this point...
Old Nov 4, 2002, 05:44 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I think maturity is the more important factor, but driving experience is also important. Most 18 year olds will not have enough experience to know how to drive responsibly.

I've never driven an Evo to comment how hard to drive it is, but I believe that any car with near 300hp should have an experienced driver behind the wheel. IMO, I think all Evo drivers should attend at least one high performance driver school to learn the basics of car control.

I have a feeling the Evo will attract a similar crowd as the S2000 has.

Mark
Old Nov 4, 2002, 06:12 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Well, I can understand the younger members being offended. Hell, I'm only 23, so I pretty much in the younger crowd anyhow I don't think anyone on here would really care about the age of a driver as long as they are mature and have something to add. I think the real concern here is immature people coming to these forums with Evos and posting BS info. I know I personally don't care how old a person is. If they can't articulate their points and have nothing to add, then that's a stike in my eyes.

I don't think a person who is older should assume they are a "better" driver. I think, in general, they may be more passive, which tends to be safer, but at the same time it's not the best. Many older drivers aren't paying attention and get into bad habits when driving... talking on cell phones, one hand on the wheel, improper driver position.

I say we all shut our traps, buy the upcoming Evo, and setup a large driver school for everyone, experienced and novice That way we all gain a little more experience than we already have, because no matter the skiil level, there's always something we can learn.

Mark
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by suave3747
I'm looking at this from the standpoint of a 21 year-old driver, who has never driven a performance car.

I plan on buying an Evo in approximately May, and I know very well that I'm going to suck at driving it for the first 6 months that I own it. I can't even drive stick yet. I am planning on learning before I get the car, so that I can own one.

By this definition, that makes me an Evo poser to some people on the board........

I think the reason why I chose the Evo over other performance cars, is that it has one of the best power to price ratios of any other sport car on the US market, it has electronic systems to adjust for the errors I will certainly be making at first, it's AWD which is practical year-round, and it's not a straight line car, which is perfect for the country roads around where I live.

I think that the Evo is a very good beginner's sports car. It's much better for a youngish driver to start on something like this than a massively high HP RWD car that would be tough to keep on the road.

Any idiot can wreck in any car, not just the EVO, and not just super-performance cars like the EVO.

Sorry for the long wind.
Hey Suave3747,
I wanted to give you a second opinion.
FACT - the Evo can get you in trouble if you push it before you get used to it. You will have to overcome the temptation to push it at the wrong time!!!!!
But you sound like responsible individual to me. You can own and drive this car safely if you take your time with it. Don't be discouraged, just be responsible and use common sense.

My personal experience:
Drove a 100 hp corolla for years. FWD - you could give it full throttle in the corners - no problem.
Then switched to 222 hp 300 ZX RWD - gave it 3/4 throttle in a corner with another car right next to me - it broke loose and only by luck I hit the curb instead of the other car. BUT you can bet your *** I learned to catch oversteer with the gas pedal soon after! But it could easily have been a disaster.
LESSON: If you don't kill yourself, you'll probably adapt!

Next jumped to 300 hp 300 ZX twin turbo - which was tuned to over 400hp within a week of purchase. It felt like death-on-wheels crazy power!!!! driving it for the first time.
But, within 6 months it felt like a pusy cat - doing exactly what I wanted it to. Again - if you take your time you'll learn to control it.

To get to know my car, I push it a little at a time, picking my spots carefully to minimise potential colateral damage, until I reach the upper limits. HOWEVER - this is just my way - I'm not recommending you do this.

Even though I went from 100 hp to 400 hp within 2 years. This was after 10+ years of prior driving experience, which probably kept me alive!
But I think that if you take your time and learn how your Evo responds to driver input and road conditions slowly over time, you have a good chance of survival.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jemm
Hello all, This thread has been quite an interesting read. First some background. For those of you that have never been to Jamaica, you may be suprised that we have quite a few Evos out here. Due to a special relationship between Japan and the local dealer (mainly fostered by rallying) , every Evo since the "evo 1" has been imported on a limited basis.

Over the years, there have been quite a few crashes involving novice drivers of all ages. It was one of our forum members that said it best : 'these cars demand a lot of responsibilty'. As a result only 2 insurance companies will insure the car period. A lot of today's teenagers simply do not have the sense of responsibilty to drive a car like this, but we must be careful how we generalize, as I am sure quite a few >28yr olds don't either.

To all future Evo owners : take the time to get to know your car. And remember : drive in a manner that protects others on the road, as well as yourself!

just my 2¢
Jemm - this was well said.
It' always a pleasure and a priviledge hearing from individuals with first hand experience.
Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

I cut the rest of your thread since it is just above, but all the points are done very well.

Once, I had a very experienced Mustang guy (like 10 sec streetable Mustangs that he builds, races, and drives around) and my car was making slightly over 300 HP at the time. His comment was that car lies to you about how fast it is. That is exactly why those cars are going to be very difficult for the less experienced drivers of any age.

Mr. AWD
I second that - nicely put Shirokuma
This is something that I've been concerned about, and I'm glad to hear you confirm it.
If we switch to AWD/AYC/ACD there is going to be a big learning curve first of all. Eg: Learning not to overcompensate when the computers intervine etc.
But then, when when we occasionally switch back to other cars, we need to be double careful as well. Without the same levels of grip and handling, - we might end up in the trees as you say! - because these cars handle so differently.

I have a fair amount of experience with powerful cars 400 hp+ , and I am still very concerned about these differences. Thanks for sharing your experience!

From what you said Shirokuma, I can only imagine that many of the over zealous youths - especially those that are more eager to defend themselves than to contemplate and analyse the unique handling characteristics and challenges of the Evo - may really be in for than they bargained for.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

i started to like import cars when iwas in sixth grade, that was when was liek 11 or somthin.....
Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:16 PM
In Timeout

Grocery Car

I dunno about u guys, but I just want an Evo so when the cashier asks if I need help out with the groceries, and I say "Jess", I can watch the flies buzzin in and out of the clerk's mouth when we get to my ride. Damn, that's gonna feel good!

Actually, that's a load of cr@p.

I have wanted to OWN an Evo since I heard and then saw my first Evo in Higashi Murayama, Tokyo.

There are more Evos in Yurakucho, than anywhere else in Tokyo.

Mitsubishi head office is there.

Nobody drives a Honda.

There's a gas station where they line up around 7 AM.

You could have flown a 747 in and outta my mouth, and I wouldn't have noticed.

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Nov 11, 2002 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Fear of some potential EVO buyers