Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fear of some potential EVO buyers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2002, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GMat
Smanders.. I disagree with the 'PS' part of your post. Of course it varies by policy but most insurance companies will NOT cover any type of race track activity. I have always used the terms driving school and racing school meaning the same thing. On track activity in which there is instruction.
It does vary per insurance company, Most I have found, last time I checked, considers it "driver's education" which will improve your driving skills on the road. If there is any timing or start and finish it is considered racing and not covered.

I know people who have had accidents and their insurance covered them. Now I not claiming any great things will happen to your rates if something happened but you ARE covered. Call your insurance company before you do any events or read the fine print. I'll post some links of people's experience from other boards.

How most driver schools work:
During a driving school in the beginner group, sometimes no passing is allowed at all. Most of the time, beginners can only pass on designated straight-aways when the car in front signals its okay to pass by sticking his/her arm out of the window and pointing to which side to pass. If you are being passed, you must left off the throttle until the passer is clear. Beginners are also never allowed on the track without an instructor in the car until the instructor "signs you off", which means he/she feels that you are safe enough to drive by yourself. That usually does not happen until after your first session on the second day. Your instructor however will be watching you drive from the pits. Classroom time is required. If you spin or put more than two tires off the track, you have to get off the track and get slapped around by your instructor. If you do it again, you are asked to leave. If the instructor does not feel you are safe, you will be asked to leave. These events are very serious and your instructor records everything. The schools provide a logbook and the instructors record all the things you need to work on. You must work on them while you are on the track.

These usually apply to the intermediate group as well.

The advanced group does not require an instructor and you can pass anywhere on the track. Sometimes schools let advanced pass without signaling. Entrance fees are also usually cheaper for the advanced group because you are not paying for an instructor.

The instructor group just passes whenever.

Again, the rules depend on the school and the track policies. This is from my experience.