Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Defi guages

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Defi guages

I am planning on getting some Defi guages for the car. I would like to ask a few questions.

1. Will the Defi D guages work with just the guages itself or would I need to get the contoller in order for them to work just like the Defi BF guages?\

2. Do you think its worth paying the extra $$$ for the BF guages? I think in order for the BF guages to work you need to get the controller which adds more money...

3. Besides the turbo guage what kind of guages is recommended if I were to get the A pillar 3 pod mount?
Does anyone have a pic of the the Defi guages at night with the orange backlit color?

BTW my car is stock for now but I am hoping one day those guages will come in handy when I do mod the car. Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Defi Boost D-Gauge. It works fine by itself, no need for the controller. Plus, it installed VERY easily, and it matches the lights at night almost perfectly. I'm happy with the D-gauges, so I can't comment on whether or not it is worth the extra $$$ to get the BF gauges. For the other gauges, I would recommend Oil Pressure and EGT.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

D-guage is nice, and like jdub said no need for a controller. As for the BF series they are sweet looking but I decided they were a little too pricey. I went with Greddy electronic and have been very pleased.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

I forgot, I'll post some pics later with the face lit up.....
Old Sep 7, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdub24
I forgot, I'll post some pics later with the face lit up.....

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I've got the defi-D gauge in black and it matches the stock gauges PERFECT! I love it and it was very easy to install. They do make the BF gauges in red now but I didn't have money for those, I love my defi-D gauge tho.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Get the Defi D-series. Cheaper than most and really nice. Here is a picture I found on here. Mine will look the same except I will have white faces.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

bf's are the sweetest gauges.worth the extra cash
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

bfs with the controller allow you to record your runs in real time up to 3 minutes, key to watching over your stuff if not monitoring/datalogging all the time.

At least if your motor goes, you will know why.

The BF setup also has warning chimes that are easy to set, so if you hit a higher than normal boost pressure, EGT, oil temp/pressure, you will be alerted IMMEDIATLY, rather than wondering if you are running a little different than normal.

The BF setup is more expensive, but for the piece of mind it offers you, it is priceless.... an extra $300 or whatever, or a blown motor that runs $3000... your call.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:40 PM

I also use my Defi Control Unit II + Defi BF Gauges in conjunction with the Defi Link VSD Concept (HUD) which also works as a two stage shift light/beep in conjunction with the CU II (otherwise it is just a one stage).
Old Sep 8, 2004, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Question for all of you who have A pillar pods from lancershop.com. Do the pods and guages fit tightly so that there is not rattle in them?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

I wanna get a BF gauge but only the BOOST GAUGE. Do i still need to buy the control unit?
Whats the difference between a mechanical & electronic gauge? They both look the same .how can you tell w/c is w/c?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

defi is worth every cent. I own it on my evo and my mazdaspeed protege.
Any car with red lightes on the inside look just sick with the defi gauges there extremely well made and easy to read both day and night.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

I'll post some pics of mine when I install then this week. should be here anyday. I order the Defi D-series black face boost gauge. I'm not sure, but isn't the D-series the only one that reads boost in psi instead of bar.

-Chad-
Old Sep 8, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DoggieHowser
I also use my Defi Control Unit II + Defi BF Gauges in conjunction with the Defi Link VSD Concept (HUD) which also works as a two stage shift light/beep in conjunction with the CU II (otherwise it is just a one stage).
How do you like the Defi Link VSD? Does it make it easier to see your speeds/rpm's and stuff? Was thinking about getting one but not sure if it will serve a good enough purpose.