Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works BOV..Do you need one? Smart Choice, or a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works BOV..Do you need one? Smart Choice, or a waste of money?

Well, Im thinking of purchasing a Blow off Valve from Works Racing, since they have designed one with the fix, so i dont get all the crappy problems the other BOV's have with the Evo. The thing is... Is it going to make a difference. I do have boost levels that start at 19 and taper to 17 still after i did my Turbo XS MBC. I hear a lot about our stock BOV's haveing leaks and being a big POS.. Will this make a difference and do ya think its a wise way to go..

Thankss
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

if you take a look around it seems like the norcal guys love the works bov. appears the best set up is venting 50%.
i tried my luck with the hks but had problems even though it seems that a lot of people like it and run fine with it. every car is different even if its the same stuff...
i have a 1gen on my gst and had no problems with it ever (the 2nd gen eclipse stock bov was the same plastic pos as the evo) so i think for me, im gonna get the 1gen/mr dv. i hear it cant handle more than 25psi, but then again i also dont think i want my car running over 20 anyway. at least not for a long long while.
from what i read (im also searching for the best bov/intake to put on) the greddy has to be messed with (swapping springs/tunning) and that seems like something id rather not get into.

as you can see from what ive just said, and what you see on most of the board, its just a matter of opinion. different strokes for different folks seems to be the best way to view everything.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to buy a BOV, then I got an intake instead...my stock bov is very loud and I hold 20-21psi with no leaks. I got the HKS rs intake just for reference.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

What about the MR BOV? Some people have had great success with that one.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

^^ i've heard that also.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, im going with the mr and the hks rs as soon as they arrive.

ill let ya know how they hold up
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
I was going to buy a BOV, then I got an intake instead...my stock bov is very loud and I hold 20-21psi with no leaks. I got the HKS rs intake just for reference.
I have the same intake as you with a similiar setup in mods. I have the pos plastic bov and MINE leaks. I bet its possible yours is leaking as well, try giving it little gas and holding it see if the psi's drop drastically and then again, maybe you are fortunate. My BOV holds 21 and drops to 20 around 6k at WOT.

As for the thread starter. You cant go wrong with a BOV. I think on our cars its definately worth the money, regardless of which you get. Id rather be able to hold boost at light throttle than have it gush out. Id also like it to have solid boost with no possibility of a leak, great or small.

Conclusion: Yes, get a BOV to replace the stocker.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

The Works BOV (GFB) works great and you can adjust the amount to vent. But Works will be coming out with one where you don't have to do any adjustment and works great for our Evos. No idle problems.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Bov's are waste of money, if u want the sound do what I did. For now since im broke, and bov's dont give u extra hp or anything what I did was go to lowes and purchased me a 1.5 inch plug stopper for 2 bucks. Plug it in where the bov recirculates and boom, magic! Sounds good as **** too, people think I bought an aftermarket greddy type-s as what they tell me thats what it sound like and then I pop the hood and their like howd u do that. Lol and no it wont freak anything up doing it this way because aftermartket bov's come with a stopper on the recirculation valve already on it so its the same thing but only costed me 2 bucks If u dont wanna buy a brand new bov right now and wanna jus try it out to see how it sounds like how i did, id recommend it
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

The stock bov sucks. I agree that we need to upgrade the bov within the first year or so. I had my friends greddy type-s on for awhile and loved it, then I get my own and decided to sell it to get the HKS set up. If anyone wants a brand new greddy type-s Evo 8 complete kit just check here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97387
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running a Greddy Type-S ... 0 problems with boost set to ~21-22psi...

l8r)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

The stock Bov must indeed suck, after the GFB I poped the big pipe that connects the throttle body to the intercooler exit. Tighten it back down and wow, more of a difference then I expected, spool feels quicker and comes on / holds stronger. Again all seat of the pants.

But to give you an idea of my nature I've never felt that a K&N drop in filter made any vehicle I have ever owned feel any stronger... now splitfire plugs on the other .. woooooah.. j/k

P.S. I have another silver GFB for sale (long story)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

The GFB blow off valve is by a very good blow off valve. I think the reason that it is so popular in NorCal is because it is such an improvement over the stock dv when it comes to holding boost and not leaking AND still allows you to vent as you deem fit.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leonard_shelby
P.S. I have another silver GFB for sale (long story)
what price you looking for on the above GFB BOV?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

check your PM's Greg K