Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question for the experts.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for the experts.

My car is currently bone stock, that's all about to change in the near future.

I plan on installing an MBC (just to eliminate the possibility of the stock BOV leaking and to hold boost to red line), HKS Racing Suction Intake System, and an EVO MR Blow Off Valve. I have a turbo timer and a Boost Gauge also, but I know these don't matter one bit to my question.

Question:
With this modest setup, should I need to worry about having my car tuned to accommodate the increased air flow made by the HKS intake? Will the car run too lean? I hear from the factory they run pig rich .... so I'm looking for advice.

Also, once I have these mods done, what would you recommend be my next upgrade. I was thinking a Turbo Back exhaust...

All in all, I'm looking to get to the point of making about 350 WHP and call it a day, this is my dd and I am not looking to take it to the bleeding edge (maybe one day but not now).

Thanks for any input!
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

You'll be fine with those mods and no tuning, but if it were tuned in any way it would of course be better. As far as a tubo back being the next mod after your list I think you are right on track.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 03EvoVIII
You'll be fine with those mods and no tuning, but if it were tuned in any way it would of course be better. As far as a tubo back being the next mod after your list I think you are right on track.
I plan on doing some research, any opionions on who to go with for the turbo back exhaust. I'm looking for someting as loud as stock or "SLIGHTLY" louder, but not wake the neighbor hood loud. Also the quality of the part has to be top notch.

As fas as tunners go, I'm even afraid to ask for an opionion, that's when the trolls come out, but if your brave I would also appreciate your opionion.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Look at AMS turboback, ive heard they are very quiet but with a great tone!
www.automotosports.com
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Personally i think you will see the biggest gain with a downpipe and cat-back exhaust and depending on where you live a cat delete pipe. HKS, Greddy, or JIC make a very nice exhaust. I have the HKS Carbon Ti which is very very nicely built and it is not very loud at all. The MBC wont help with a leaking BOV but it will help with the holding boost till redline. The stock BOV should be able to handle the 21psi you will probably be pushing to redline but the MR would be nice since you are planning on that anyway. I would then get a HKS Intake IMO. They have showed major gains on the dyno upwards of 9whp-10whp. They due lean out your car but nothing to be worried about. I would say you are fine with the tune till you get injectors or you just want to raise the rev limiter or remove the speed limiter. Just my 0.02

Chris
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

this is a pretty common misconception, but the boost taper you see is not b/c the BOV is leaking. the ECU is programmed to taper
Old Sep 7, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

2k4evoVIII is right. The HKS exhaust is incredible and has a great sound. The exhaust probably is the best modification to do next. You will see a great improvement.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by alex_alex
this is a pretty common misconception, but the boost taper you see is not b/c the BOV is leaking. the ECU is programmed to taper

This is a "my bad" I was trying to convey to many thoughts and did not type that up correctly. I understand that the boos taper is programmed into the ECU, what I ment to say was " I'm upgrading the BOV to elimnate the posibility of leak i nthe future not to elimnate the taper".

Now my qustion is , Why does the stock ECU settings taper boost?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Personally i think you will see the biggest gain with a downpipe and cat-back exhaust and depending on where you live a cat delete pipe. HKS, Greddy, or JIC make a very nice exhaust. I have the HKS Carbon Ti which is very very nicely built and it is not very loud at all. The MBC wont help with a leaking BOV but it will help with the holding boost till redline. The stock BOV should be able to handle the 21psi you will probably be pushing to redline but the MR would be nice since you are planning on that anyway. I would then get a HKS Intake IMO. They have showed major gains on the dyno upwards of 9whp-10whp. They due lean out your car but nothing to be worried about. I would say you are fine with the tune till you get injectors or you just want to raise the rev limiter or remove the speed limiter. Just my 0.02

Chris
I'm not sure if I want to bypass the cat. I would like to follow an upgrade path that is environmentally friendly (just my opionion). I live in Maryland so I'm not sure what the laws are, anyone want to fill me in?

I was typing my thoughts out too fast, I do understand the the MBC wont help with a leaking BOV, I don't even know why my brain didn't catch that. All the mods I listed above I plan on installing at the same time, the exhaust is a later purchase.

Thanks for your input
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ!=Evo
...Question:
With this modest setup, should I need to worry about having my car tuned to accommodate the increased air flow made by the HKS intake? Will the car run too lean? I hear from the factory they run pig rich .... so I'm looking for advice.
Why waste the money on the HKS suction intake? At one point in time I was also looking to get one, but after a lot of research I settled on just the HKS panel filter. That way you don't have to worry about custom tuning for errant MAF readings. I run the HKS panel filter with the stock airbox and it upped my AFR by ~.5 across the board which was roughly equal to 5whp. Not bad for 40 bucks and sounds good too. If you go with the suction intake and a custom tune, you'll probably shell out a total of 400 bucks, if not more, for that kind of money there are much better mods (a better exhaust or Xflash comes to mind...)

l8r)