Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

90 octane! AK sucks. Dynoflash?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 octane! AK sucks. Dynoflash?

Hello All,

I recientally purchased a EVO 8 (used) but as of a few weeks ago came an unforseeable problem. Everyone in Anchorage, Alaska stoped selling 92 octane gas.... prior to this only chevron sold it. So basically i am quite annoyed. and i would prefer not to buy those little octane booster bottles every time i fill my tank.

As for my question, has anyone looked into Alcohol Injection or anything similar to that to help raise my octane leval when needed... as of now I am running pretty much stock (well as soon as my clutch is replaced with a clutchmaster stage 1 due to premature clutch failure).

Any help anyone can offer to over come low octane levals would be greatly apprecited. I was also thinking about sending in for a TTM Dynoflash, is this even worth doing when the best gas i can run is 90? Since my car is DOA for a week due to the clutch anyways.

Thanks
Tweist99
Old Sep 7, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap man, that sucks! Things aren't much better here in AZ and CA with 91.

Some alternatives would be race gas (if available) or Toluele/Xylene to boost up your octane. Those tiny bottles from the auto parts store don't do anything (if at all) to boost your octane.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't heard of alcohol injection. But I have heard of propane injection, maybe you should look into that.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

i thought propane injection was for diesel engines.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:23 PM

as far as i know propane is only for desel engines.... they use it like gas cars use NOS. i have actually seen a 13sec. 1/4 mile Longbed dulie desil propane injected Chevy truck....

for those who have never herd of alcohol injection here is a link http://www.bnecustoms.com/alcohol_injection.htm

i was also considering water-injection insted.... but wouldnt need that untill i had done some serious mods.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mmm, I know diesels use it, but the concept is the same.

These guys offer a kit for 3000GT VR-4 owners...

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/home.php?cat=34

So I don't see why anybody with a turbo couldn't.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Go to Sherwin Williams or a paint store and buy a crapload of toluene and mix yer own!
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tweist99
Hello All,

I recientally purchased a EVO 8 (used) but as of a few weeks ago came an unforseeable problem. Everyone in Anchorage, Alaska stoped selling 92 octane gas.... prior to this only chevron sold it. So basically i am quite annoyed. and i would prefer not to buy those little octane booster bottles every time i fill my tank.

As for my question, has anyone looked into Alcohol Injection or anything similar to that to help raise my octane leval when needed... as of now I am running pretty much stock (well as soon as my clutch is replaced with a clutchmaster stage 1 due to premature clutch failure).

Any help anyone can offer to over come low octane levals would be greatly apprecited. I was also thinking about sending in for a TTM Dynoflash, is this even worth doing when the best gas i can run is 90? Since my car is DOA for a week due to the clutch anyways.

Thanks
Tweist99

water injection kit will solve your issuue.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Go to the local race track and get some race fuel and then mix it down with the **** gas. I used to live in Anchorage about 5yrs ago so I am not sure where the fuel is available . But you should be able to track some down no problem.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Go to Sherwin Williams or a paint store and buy a crapload of toluene and mix yer own!
^^what he said. FWIW, I haven't heard anything good about the OTC octane boosters. Toluene (sometimes misspelled toulene) is one of the best ways to go.

Also, if you can't even get 91 Octane, why bother to try flashing the ECU? I'm not aware of any 90 Octane reflashes out there, so you'd end up being a guniea pig, which, with thousands of miles of separation between you and whoever is gonna flash your ECU is probably not a great idea. IMO you're gonna need a true custom tune (read: your car on a tuner's dyno with 90 Octane in the tank) or be really religious about using toluene to boost your octane. As an alternative you could also invest in a piggyback engine control system that can store high and low octane maps. Lastly, any kind of water/alcohol injection generally relies on custom tuning to net more power, it doesn't boost your octane per-se, it just makes it safer to tune more aggressively with lower octane fuel, since it cools the combustion chamber. Again this has been proven to make more power on an Evo, but you have to custom tune your car. There's an informative thread on water injection here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55246

l8r)