Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Healthy Vacuum Pressure

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Healthy Vacuum Pressure

I installed my Defi D series boost gauge last night and had a couple quick questions. At idle the gauge reads -20 inHG and if I'm cruising and then let off the gas but dont hit the clutch or brake, while the engine is decelerating the car the gauge reads -25 inHG. Upon acceleration I can hit almost 19 lbs, but I dont notice much taper........granted this is only in 2nd and 3rd gear (havent had enough space for a 4th or 5th gear run). So my other question is......will every stock evo have exactly the same boost taper? Will it taper more quickly and more drastically in some gears.
I was planning on getting an MBC to hold around 19psi to redline.....would this still be beneficial.....or at this point should I throw my money towards something else???? Will there be noticeable gains with the MBC?????? My car is stock except for the D-series gauge.....which looks awesome by the way.......

Thanks for any and all info.....
Old Sep 8, 2004, 09:42 PM

The first thing I put in my Evo were the Defi gauges. AT idle 18-20 in normal with the AC off . Mine would hit 19lbs by 3200rpm and would taper about 6500 to about 17lbs.
So far the SAFC has been the biggest noticable gain, along with the down pipe and exhaust. The MBC holds it at 20lbs but didn't feel much change , I have the Halman and it's works great!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Sounds similar to what I did.

Boost gauge, then a Hallman MBC... The MBC didn't make "that" much diff. Exhaust mods and the SAFCII helped noticeably more, but it's not a bad start.

One thing I recommend is to make sure your intercooler piping is tight. In general make sure everything is working well stock before modding. I replaced the clamps with t-bolts and went with Samco hoses and my car's boost response is much better and I hold boost better. Some evos have more taper than others, even stock, and this is at least one factor... My car would go from ~18 psi to 16psi or so stock, and even with MBC (before fixing hoses) the car would go from 20-17.5 or so. Now it's more like 20-19psi...

Anyway, I thought I was just getting used to my car, but I was actually down on power and fixing the leaks in the piping really woke my car up and made it much more pleasant to drive.

Take care,

FB
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, -18 to -20 seems to be normal.
getting rid of the flex pipe in the intercooler piping really does make a noticable difference in responce. you can really feel a change. i had just changed the elbow from the throttle body, hks upper i/c (which cut out the flex right after the battery) and the elbow under the intake to the last stretch of intercooler pipe and it really woke my car up too.
from what i hear exhaust brings about 1psi difference also. (which is why its good to have the safc2)