Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

your thoughts on A pillar pods

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your thoughts on A pillar pods

I think the A pillar pods looks nice and clean but my main concern is it blocking my view when making left hand turns...etc . I plan on getting the triple guage pod. If you have these pods please share your opinions. Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally only have 1 steering wheel mounted gauge, but I've driven a friend's Mazdaspeed Protege with 3 A-Pillar Pods, and there's no obstruction of view in his car. Also, my brother-in-law has an S-13 Silvia swap in his 240sx, and he's got the pillar-mounted triple pod also without any obstruction of view.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have an A pillar i bought from vivid racing... i love it, sits at the right height, its only dual so doesnt block my view very much. and looks like the stock pillar. i does block your view some but not enough to where you cant look around it thru the driver's side door window to see anything you need to, not as much of a hastle as you may think... if you find my car in the registry you will see pics of my a pillar in my car with gauges
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

I have the triple gauge pod. When I first drove the car it took some getting used to, but i was fine after 30 mins of driving. I don't feel any obstruction when making left hand turns or even driving straight. Just glance at it once in a while to check where the boost is etc. I personally think it's the best location as i'm able to read the gauges and keep my eyes on the road. hope this helps
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Unless you "actually" race your car and "need" to see all those gauges all the time, A Pillar pods=RICE. They are only there to "look cool". Sure, there are some engine functions you need to monitor, especially if your car is not stock, but sticking gauges all over your car for the fun of it is ricey.

just my $.02
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

I like the a-pillar pods. I think the look real nice on sportier looking small cars and I think they look a little weird on our square four door cars, but I still plan on getting one. If you are adding gauges what a perfect place to add them, where else you gonna do it. The steering column blocks the tach to much IMO and you can only do 2 and I like the ones above the stereo but that spot is spoken for by the indash screen.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evillusion
A Pillar pods=RICE. They are only there to "look cool".sticking gauges all over your car for the fun of it is ricey.
I agree, every person yu see has got the A-Pillar guages, it seems very busy and I would kind watch out for cops a little on that on two. My friends gotta WRX, cop sees those guages from a mile and always give an excuse to pull him over. They are too "Look everyone, I have 3 BIG guages right above/infront of my face" FLASHY, I'd get somthing so only I can see and my passanger not the whole town.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont understand the ricey term, if i had a civic that was maxing out at 130hp maybe, but last i checked we are in a high performance car and there is a need to monitor engine functions. and besides, you lower our cars, and they look just as sporty as these little 2 doors not to mention blow them out of the water in performance... the gauges are nice to have, they are easy to see in the A pillar. i could see not needing them if you were monitoring nos pressure without nos or have the gauge there but not installed just the electrical stuff... but i dont think ricey applies to that... ricey to me applies to the all show no go cars like most the ones in my town
Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Unless you "actually" race your car and "need" to see all those gauges all the time, A Pillar pods=RICE. They are only there to "look cool". Sure, there are some engine functions you need to monitor, especially if your car is not stock, but sticking gauges all over your car for the fun of it is ricey.

just my $.02
Hey we're all rice because we have different opinions than you!

In my opinion, even though it's ricey, it's safer and more efficient to have my gauges in front of me, than below me, or beside me.

And to the original poster. I have the Carbon fiber a-pillars from Carbontrix and love them. It's both pillars, dual pod.

Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

A pillar mounted gauge is far from "ricey"... Hot Rods had been utilizing A pillar mounting a long time ago... so I really dont know what kind of crack Evillusion is smoking
It is perhaps the best place to mount gauges in the evo VIII... the craig hardy panel is nice, but I am waiting for the day when somebody figures out how to mount the HVAC in the lower cubby hole, so that I could put a double din dvd in the radio slot... another place people mount gauges on the evo is on the steering column, but that would interfere with the OEM gauge cluster no matter what
Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:24 AM

All personal taste set aside, an a-pillar mounted guage is easy to read and will not obstruct your view... much.

Brandon
Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Talking I like the piller pod

my evo has the 2 gauge 52mm pod from auto meter,it fits nice and looks great.
as for seeing the gauges i think you would want to have the boost gauge up high
so you dont have to look down at the steering colum. that seems not a good idea
at 7,500 rpm.....
Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

i have a double CF pillar pod and its fine... only in extreme situations like autocrossing did i feel it got in the way slightly... even in road racing it shouldnt be a problem... i say go for it
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

running a dual in my evo as well..... never was comfortable with looking anywhere else, not to mention looking down for my boost/egt readings...
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

never had a problem with my a-pillar aside from it attracting attention