Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Synthetic Oil & Gas
How many of you use Super for your evos?
80.00%
How many of you use Silver for your evos?
0%
How many of you use Regular for your evos?
0%
How many of you use Mobil 1 (5W - 30)
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Synthetic Oil & Gas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Oil & Gas

Hey guys, I have 2 questions to ask you guys.
1. I just wanted to know that what synthetic oil is good for the evos?? I've used Mobile 1 (5W - 30), what if I use (10W - 30) ?? what's the differences in those two?? and how often do you need to change oil when its used ysnthetic oil?? I believe every 6000 miles?? M I correct?

2. What gasoline do you guys use for your evos??
I use Super all the way!!! and whats the advantage when using Super comparing to Regular and Silver??
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:03 PM

higher octane=better performance and the evo was first made to run on 93 octane i think as a minimum but had to be retuned to run saftly on 91 octane. So i woudnt go for lower then 91. I personally dont have a evo yet but my dad has a 2003 m3 and he does like quarter tank of 100 octane and then the rest 91.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

It would be criminal to put anything less than 91 octane.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

YES I ALWAYS use Super in my Evo its really bad for the car to run anything less. This is a HIGH performance car not your moms honda. So you MUST treat it as such Use nothing but super gas and only full synthetic oil in it.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Actually the reason you need to run the higher octane is because the car runs under boost. The lower octane is much mroe prone to detonation which can potentially hurt the car.

Now, stock programming will adjust for the lower octane fuel however this will yield lower hp figures since the ecu pulls more timing to prevent detonation.

I don't see why everyone doesn't use premium. It's only a a buck or two more than regular and IMO the safeguards of the cleaner fuel and perhaps improved gas mileage are worth it.

As for oil, I went with Mobil1 10w-40 and will be sticking with that.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:33 PM

Definitely use the highest octane possible. Although for a car that can't take advantage of it, it's a waste of money. But the EVO (and all turbo 4G63s for that matter) do take advantage of it. Your piston tops and your butt dyno will thank you.