Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Upgrade BOV and Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2004, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade BOV and Air Intake?

Hey what's up everybody I just signed up over 2 weeks and what great info you guys and girls have going on here!
Well my ? is what is the basic upgrade for the BOV and Air Intake you would recommond for my '04 EVO VIII RS? I just got the Evo and I'm looking to see about upgrading some of the componants on it. Not to many of these rides around my way and even less that of the RS, so I'm trying to see what would be a good starting point for it. I already know that the stock BOV is made out of plastic saw it and don't really like it, plus I love the WHOOSH sound I've seen on many SRT-4's. My bestfriend who owns an 04 WRX told me that the stock air box has to do with as well. But isn't the Evo being fed enough air thru the I/C? And won't it run much more leaner? Anyways I'd appreciate all the help again, Thanxs

Oh and here's a pic of my Evo Rs..
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade BOV and Air Intake?-eric-s-labor-day-bbq-04-027.jpg  
Old Sep 10, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

I got the HKS RS intake and the stock bov sounds like an aftermarket and holds boost just fine, if your gonna get an intake i'd say get that one and see how the bov sounds. If you want somthing more then buy an aftermarket.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
arn't there problems with the evo and an aftermarket open element air intake? i've heard that people required reflashes to make the car run correctly after adding an air intake
Old Sep 10, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Here is my advice for ya: dont waste your money! Spend the money on a complete exhaust and maybe utec/aem ems for the tuning part. Stick with the stock intake/bov. It's not worth it. The sound will get old after a while, and it is not even that loud. You can barely hear it. If you want the sound of the bov, get utec or aem ems with a map sensor. Save ur money for camshafts bro. Just my .02
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Buy my Forge DV. Its sounds like a vent to atmosphere with an Intake.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Or buy my GFB stealth dual FX adjustable VTA or recirc
Old Sep 10, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

First off, upgrade the exhuast. Then you will need an intake. Getting an intake first is useless, and in fact will not gain any hp without a tune. With the HKS RS intake, you will hear the whoosh sound. If you want a whistle. you will need to upgrade the BOV (Greddy of HKS). But if u upgrade the BOV without getting an aftermarket intake, then you wont hear as much sound.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the Injen intake system and the aps intake system. I will be combining both of these systems to make a true cold air system with hard piping. the link to injen is on the home page of this site and the aps is here http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us_spec/evo/evo.htm
I think with both of these combination it will be real good. peace..........
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Best thing to do it to buy a exhaust. Most people open up the exhuast first on a turbo car. I have the HKS RS intake as well. It's loud with the stock bov on, but once you upgrade to a different bov (I have the HKS SSQV) it gets even louder. I can hear mine from a few streets over. It does get annnoying at times, but my stock bov was leaking boost when I got the boost turned up. As for tunning, my car ran just fine with a downpipe, test pipe, cat back, and intake without any tunning at all. I never once had a problem.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats right, you cant vent BOV, i got Greddy-type"s" with K&N and little spring removed on bov still you can hear birds under the hood
Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ultraflip
arn't there problems with the evo and an aftermarket open element air intake? i've heard that people required reflashes to make the car run correctly after adding an air intake

I put on my intake and i'm still running fine without any flash.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KnocAround
Hey what's up everybody I just signed up over 2 weeks and what great info you guys and girls have going on here!
Well my ? is what is the basic upgrade for the BOV and Air Intake you would recommond for my '04 EVO VIII RS? I just got the Evo and I'm looking to see about upgrading some of the componants on it. Not to many of these rides around my way and even less that of the RS, so I'm trying to see what would be a good starting point for it. I already know that the stock BOV is made out of plastic saw it and don't really like it, plus I love the WHOOSH sound I've seen on many SRT-4's. My bestfriend who owns an 04 WRX told me that the stock air box has to do with as well. But isn't the Evo being fed enough air thru the I/C? And won't it run much more leaner? Anyways I'd appreciate all the help again, Thanxs

Oh and here's a pic of my Evo Rs..
The evo is being restricted throughout. The lower IC piping is ridiculously inefficient. The upper piping isnt bad at all. Some intakes require a flash or AFC EMS., etc. Its always wise to do exhaust and intake as that opens up alot of air and efficiency. BOVs, comes down to your choice. I know 1g and Greddy Type S's have been fine. Tial and HKS being others. There are many choices.

A good starting point would be to get exhaust and an MBC.

Everything you install, is gonig to pull AF, so you must get it tuned, if you want the most HP from your car as well as the most reliability.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

HUH? I thought I just posted something like this on another thread. Any way, I got the Greddy BOV and K&N typhoon filter. From my experience it's best not to use the new K&N pipe, it's bad dude, Makes it loose power. Also make the car want to stall after I take my foot of the gas. Just use the original stock pipe or damn I forgot what they are called. Anyway the sound of the BOV is more audible and that's music to our ears. And the last best thing is that my car ran smoother. Man I just love my new K&N filter. Any body else have any issue with the aftermarket pipe.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have tried both AEM and HKS RS intake. The AEM set up made my car run like crap, so I got the HKS and I do not have any problems at all. The car runs perfect and the stock BOV is pretty loud. No complaints, but I do want HKS exhaust.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

HKS intake for sure or just a cone filter. OEM bov is s hit if you ask me. I will ge getting the HKS or MR one soon.

Quick Reply: Upgrade BOV and Air Intake?