Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

400 AWHP on BR 500

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2004, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by statix
Yes I'm running the ACT single disk and it works fine for the launch and 1st, 2nd but 3rd, forget it. Thanks Smog, I know on a good day/run what the car is capable of, I just need to get there and its unfortunate that all we realy have is Cal. Speedway. That place sucks. I also found the oil leak, its coming from the oil cooler feed and return line??? Maybe Ill have to make that drive up to Sac. for the shootout.

FWIW, we had the same problem with that clutch (that's why i asked). The higher we reved the car, the harder it was to shift. On our red shop car, running the 500+bhp, the shifter would literally stick in all gears for nearly a second before it could be muscled to upshift. This has been the case on at least 3 or 4 other cars I've seen using that particular clutch. My suggestion would be to talk to Dirk at ACT and perhaps he has some sort of solution that doesn't involve removal and rein$tallation. This particular problem was, in fact, what kept us from taking our car to its debut at the drag strip last year

Good luck

Shiv
Old Sep 19, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think Smoggy needs to know about the drawbacks of the ACT before he ditches his Cusco.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IE Evo
I think Smoggy needs to know about the drawbacks of the ACT before he ditches his Cusco.

BIG mistake, ditching Cusco for ACT.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 03:46 PM

The Cusco is a great clutch, what's wrong? I launched my car, several times, with my Hoosiers today and spun them the whole way through 1st gear.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Metaphysical and all others with the Cusco twin or Exedy twin:
1. At a stop, it is very hard to put in 1st or reverse. If I adjust the clutch pedal higher, it resolves that problem but then my clutch pedal is positioned FAR to high.
2. This relates to number 1 above: when launching, the clutch doesn't really engage until my foot is almost 5 inches from the floor. It is really hard to time my launches. My 60fts were good (1.7x) but my reaction times suffered.
3. Even when the clutch is fully depressed, the car rolls forward lightly when in 1st, and rolls backward lightly when in reverse. This symptom became worse after my third run Friday night.
4. In every day driving, my clutch engages THE EXACT MOMENT I start to release it but in this super light way, as if one of the twin disks is prematurely engaging. It just barely gets the car rolling and then the clutch REALLY engages after about 4 to 5 inches of lifting my foot off the pedal. Out of curiousity, I put it in 1st at a stop and kept my foot on the brake as I lifted the clutch pedal. As I lifted the clutch, it slightly bogged (went from 900 to 700 rpms, but didn't stall until I had foot 5 inches off the floor.

I'm going to cross-post this in the Engine/Drivetrain forum so please respond there so we don't take this thread any more off topic. Here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99328

Last edited by Smogrunner; Sep 19, 2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Metaphysical and all others with the Cusco twin or Exedy twin:
1. At a stop, it is very hard to put in 1st or reverse. If I adjust the clutch pedal higher, it resolves that problem but then my clutch pedal is positioned FAR to high.
2. This relates to number 1 above: when launching, the clutch doesn't really engage until my foot is almost 5 inches from the floor. It is really hard to time my launches. My 60fts were good (1.7x) but my reaction times suffered.
3. Even when the clutch is fully depressed, the car rolls forward lightly when in 1st, and rolls backward lightly when in reverse. This symptom became worse after my third run Friday night.
4. In every day driving, my clutch engages THE EXACT MOMENT I start to release it but in this super light way, as if one of the twin disks is prematurely engaging. It just barely gets the car rolling and then the clutch REALLY engages after about 4 to 5 inches of lifting my foot off the pedal. Out of curiousity, I put it in 1st at a stop and kept my foot on the brake as I lifted the clutch pedal. As I lifted the clutch, it slightly bogged (went from 900 to 700 rpms, but didn't stall until I had foot 5 inches off the floor.

I'm going to cross-post this in the Engine/Drivetrain forum so please respond there so we don't take this thread any more off topic. Here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99328

one of 2 things.

1: clutch not installed right
2: longer clutch rod ( you can find one on Lancershop)
Old Sep 19, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Shiv, do you know how I can get ahold of Dirk...