Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tryandcatchme
Then why does the owners manual on practically every car made out there has instructions on how to change your oil?
Maybe when your warranty has expired you would want to know how to DIY?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek888
BTW I live in Taiwan. Over here the warranty's are slightly different from the US. My warranty is only 2 year 36,000 mile.
First off, that makes a big difference. I'd look into any laws regarding auto warranties you have there. You may not have anything that protects you here. All of the answers given so far are probably on the assumption that you're in the US.
-N
Old Sep 15, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Try to take the whole situation to another dealer. I tried to give the local dealer my business here but I got the run-a-round so rather than fight, I just switched. You will be amazed at the difference when you find someone who you can work with.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my stealership experience/story:

My car was delivered to me out of spec (the front wheels were not aligned and accordingly I blew through 2 front tires, to the replacement tune of $500, prematurely). So I called my service advisor to see if something could be done to offset the price I would have to shell out for new tires (mind you, I did not demand that the stealership replace both tires for free). Well after the incompetence settled in, the service advisior finally turned me over to the regional mitsu service rep. He and I hypotheticalled each other to death for a week on the phone as to what may have caused the premature wear. The conversations culminated in my asking him to produce a document which gave the specific measurements of my tire alignments (which would substantiate wether or not the car was delivered to me within specs). He of course could not produce any such document (no shi$).

So, I'm thoroughly pissed at the bullshi$ gauntlet that I've had to go through to come full circle in that Mitsu would not do anything - even in the form of giving me $100-$200 towards the purchase of 2 new Advan's ($500). Thereafter, I thought to myself about how I could get even, and I vowed to never again take my car to Mitsu for any of my (scheduled services as per the owners manual).

So ulitmately, Mitsu's refusal to even give me $100-$200 dollars toward the replacement of my cupped tires bit them in the as$ where the stealership has now lost - THousands - $2,000-$3,000 of dollars in regular service fees over the life of the car. No more "K" services, oil changes, repairs,.. anything.

I told my wife of my intentions and foresaw that I'd be bombarded with mail from the stealership remindingme that I was due for service "x", "y", etc. I get a kick out of the letters that have been sent to me, which I've had the satisfaction of filing in my"oval" cabinet. Dumasse$

4-BNGR
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

I do my own service because I want to know that it was done right. I have also discovered that many dealers do not even use the proper fluids, they try to save money and use the bulk (trans/tc/diff) oils at hand. As far as motor oil Mobil 1 is not the best. check out the oil specs that are listed in the motor oil bible. this book can be downloaded for free on themotoroilsite.com
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

My Mitsu dealer uses Quaker State-even puts the little Quaker State oil change sticky in the upper left windshield. I guess they voided their own warranty?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
The point isn't that he's not doing the maintenace it's that they are saying he has to do it there using their oil.
I think they were saying Mobil 1 or equivalant, which is what the dealer uses.

Originally Posted by bolsen
The rules are that if you can prove (reciepts and time stamps) that you changed the oil or did the maintenance using the same grade materials your warranty should be in tact.
You are correct, but they will also make you do a tear down inspection because all brands of oil are not up to the same quality as the recommended oil, even other synthetics.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Sep 15, 2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

When I went in to get my first oil change the service guy told me that my warranty will be voided if I dont use their oil(mobil1)from the dealer. WTF. They told me that even if I were to bring my own oil and let them change it the labor is free as long as its under 10000 miles. I was happy at first since I could save alot of money and bring my own oil but whats the point if my warranty will be voided anyways? GAY! Even if I use the same oil that they use it wouldnt matter because it wouldnt be stored in the computer system. WTF?!!?! The service guy told me thats what happened to one of their customers who used a crappy oil which destroyed his engine, so now they are paranoid at people not getting a full oil change at the dealership. I just think they are just being **** about it and want to make as much money as possible.
what the hell is that... are you serious? your entire warranty? tell them to take a sample, analyze it, and they'll see that's it's Mobile1, lol. warranty voided because you didn't purchase oil from their parts department. that's got to be one of the stupidest things i've ever heard.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
They should advertise that on TV. Waranty void if not service at the dealer also. Burden of proof should fall on the dealer/manufacturer not the customer. must have a different view that's why they're going bankrupt.

My point, which apparently you missed, was that all dealers have the right to do this and do, it's not just a Mitsubishi thing. Proof of maintenance is the customers responsibility. If you are getting the car serviced at the dealer you already have that proof by your service records, otherwise how else can the dealer tell the services are getting done?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

that's BS man. doesn't suprise me though.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

The thing is if I buy the same identical oil and bring it to them to have them change it for me, the warranty will still be voided. Basically on their computer system it will not say that I purchased the oil from them so even if I show proof of receipts of buying the same oil they wont enter it into their system. It will show a record when I went in to get the service(oil change) but will not record what oil was put in simply because the oil was not purchased from them. Will speak to the manager or go to another dealer and see what they say. BTW I live in Taiwan. Over here the warranty's are slightly different from the US. My warranty is only 2 year 36,000 mile. Sorry if I retyped some of what I said earlier.
They can type on the repair order that they used customer supplied oil and it then shouldn't be an issue. As long as it's the recommended oil brand and weight you are covered, don't let them make you believe that it needs to be their Mobil 1.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Sep 15, 2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lowness
that's BS man. doesn't suprise me though.

Exactly how? I'm curious.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tryandcatchme
Then why does the owners manual on practically every car made out there has instructions on how to change your oil?
Look guys, I'm trying to help you understand the other side of the warranty coin. You CAN change you own oil, but if you do have a warranty concern related to maintenance the dealer has the right to ask for proof of maintenance. So keep records and receipts, the more detailed the better in case you ever need it.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Look guys, I'm trying to help you understand the other side of the warranty coin. You CAN change you own oil, but if you do have a warranty concern related to maintenance the dealer has the right to ask for proof of maintenance. So keep records and receipts, the more detailed the better in case you ever need it.

Agreed.

But they cant just void your warranty bro cuz you wanna do your own maint.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I just called the service manager at my dealer. I was kind of freaked because I do my own oil changes. He says that as long as I keep the recepts for the oil & filters there will not be any problem. He also suggested I write down at what milage I did the service.

Quick Reply: warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer