Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, I'm not working for a dealer nor writing service anymore, just giving you some insight from my years at the dealer level.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
My point, which apparently you missed, was that all dealers have the right to do this and do, it's not just a Mitsubishi thing. Proof of maintenance is the customers responsibility. If you are getting the car serviced at the dealer you already have that proof by your service records, otherwise how else can the dealer tell the services are getting done?

I don't know about other people but I have never ever heard from the honda dealer that I bought my car telling me they will void my warranty if I have no proof of service. If that's what intention is they need to put that in writing and advertise that too. Lets see how far it'll go. The burden of proof that the car got broken because no or improper service should still be the dealer/manufacturer job.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
I don't know about other people but I have never ever heard from the honda dealer that I bought my car telling me they will void my warranty if I have no proof of service. If that's what intention is they need to put that in writing and advertise that too. Lets see how far it'll go. The burden of proof that the car got broken because no or improper service should still be the dealer/manufacturer job.
If you have an internal engine failure on your Honda I can guarantee you they will be asking for your service records. This is NOT a Mitsubishi thing. It was the same at Volvo, Lincoln and Ford, the three companies I wrote service for and I can say with confidence it'd be the same at any dealer. No maintenance, no warranty.

You sound like the guy who never changes his oil and has the motor seize and blames the manufacturer, saying you never told me about the maintenance. Dude, that what the warranty/maintenance book that come with the car is for. Have you read it?

Last edited by EVO Neil; Sep 15, 2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

I do my own oil changes and even have the oil sampled to keep as proof that my oil is doing its job. I buy oil and filters (MD35600) in bulk so I would not be able to give dated slips. but any mechanic can tell by the overall condition of your vehicle plus any sludge under the valve cover, can hint a well maintained car.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
If you have an internal engine failure on your Honda I can guarantee you they will be asking for your service records. This is NOT a Mitsubishi thing. It was the same at Volvo, Lincoln and Ford, the three companies I wrote service for and I can say with confidence it'd be the same at any dealer. No maintenance, no warranty.

You sound like the guy who never changes his oil and has the motor seize and blames the manufacturer, saying you never told me about the maintenance. Dude, that what the warranty/maintenance book that come with the car is for. Have you read it?
Dude if you have a engine failure, you can change oil 10 times and the dealers**t wouldn't give a crap. Show them all the crap you've done and they wouldn't care less. If they think the engine blew because the lack of maintenace freakin prove it to you. It's freakin BS to tell your customer that their warranty is void because no proof of maintenance and that they didn't do the maintenace at the dealer****. No where in that maintenance book where it mention that warranty will be void do to no maintenance or service other then from the dealer.

And for your info I properlly maintain my car and I do this by checking the fluids,etc. The info in the mainteance book is only there for information and reference and is not the bible.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

At the dealership where I bought my RS they give me free oil changes including oil for two years. I thought this was just something Mitsubishi did not this particular dealership. They are also the home of "free tires for life", come to find out the Evo is excluded due to the expensive tires. I visited them last week and this sign was on an EVO. WTF?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Dude if you have a engine failure, you can change oil 10 times and the dealers**t wouldn't give a crap. Show them all the crap you've done and they wouldn't care less.
I worked for some good dealers out there that would have no problem accepting legitmate receipts of maintenance.

If they think the engine blew because the lack of maintenace freakin prove it to you.
Believe me, I've seen lack of maintenance motors and it's easy to figure out.

It's freakin BS to tell your customer that their warranty is void because no proof of maintenance and that they didn't do the maintenace at the dealer****.
I never said you couldn't do your own maintenance, I said keep your receipts, the better your records the better for you if and when you need to supply this information to the dealer.

No where in that maintenance book where it mention that warranty will be void do to no maintenance or service other then from the dealer.
Again, I NEVER SAID THAT! Reread the above posts.

And for your info I properlly maintain my car and I do this by checking the fluids,etc. The info in the mainteance book is only there for information and reference and is not the bible.
Sorry I was trying to make a point. I didn't mean in insinuate that you weren't doing maintenance, but that their are people out there that believe that they don't have to do any and that's just wrong.

All of this crap and all I'm trying to do is help people out. Forget it, find out for yourself how the system works...
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jude
At the dealership where I bought my RS they give me free oil changes including oil for two years. I thought this was just something Mitsubishi did not this particular dealership. They are also the home of "free tires for life", come to find out the Evo is excluded due to the expensive tires. I visited them last week and this sign was on an EVO. WTF?
I would actually be more worried if the dealership offers free oil change for life on the evo (im not talking about the pitpass)

I'd be so paranoid, I'd go to the service area and make sure they are indeed using synethic oil

Oh and this only applies to derek888: see, we are able to get mobil 1 5 quart for 20 bucks at walmart in the states (as opposed to dealerships charging an arm and a leg.... my dealership wanted $8.99 a quart!) but in taiwan, are you able to purchase synthetic oil on your own? I'd highly suggest that instead of having services/tune-ups done at the dealership, find a reliable performance shop and build a good relationship with them... one of my cousins in HK drives a gtr r34, another drives an evo7... and they told me services is actually cheaper at performance shops
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer here charges me 18 bucks per quart.. OMFG!!! I am going to call them today and talk to the manager, I thought it wouldnt be that much difference but they are ripping me off! @%^@#&@!!!
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stupid satan (the dealer) iam buying oil filter from them OEM but mobil 1 fully syng somwhere else, and changing the oil by myself, f.em since i never go there and never will... (i work on my car alone)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I believe th Magnuson-Moss warranty Act requires that if a manufacturer demands a specific brand of part (in this case Mobil 1) they are required to provide it free of charge. Now, if they recommend Mobil 1, that's another story

perhaps someone would like to lodge a formal complaint against Mitsu and see what the FTC has to say about it? I would but, well, I don't have a stealer**** near me anymore (the closest one is now over an hour away if traffic is good). This link also explains what the MMWA says, and doesn't say. Issues pertaining to a specific brand of consumable wasn't covered, though

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

EVO Neil:

No harm taken on my side and your points are well taken. The thing that I was trying to stress is that it really doesn't matter what you do the dealer will try to find someway to screw you and the maintenance thing, oil, is really BS.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
I believe th Magnuson-Moss warranty Act requires that if a manufacturer demands a specific brand of part (in this case Mobil 1) they are required to provide it free of charge. Now, if they recommend Mobil 1, that's another story
I've corrected previous posts to reflect that it needs to be a equivalant oil, to the recommended one as far as quality and viscosity. In other words using non-synthetic oil could void an engine warranty if the do a tear-down inspection and find clogged oil galleries as could a low-quality synthetic.

Someone please correct me if I'm wonrg, but the Magnusson-Moss warranty act does state that in order to be elegible for a warranty you must, in good faith, perform the maintenance recommended by the manufacturer.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

EVO Neil:

No harm taken on my side and your points are well taken. The thing that I was trying to stress is that it really doesn't matter what you do the dealer will try to find someway to screw you and the maintenance thing, oil, is really BS.
Maybe, but you are better off bringing in a stock Evo with dealership service records than one that is neither stock nor has maintenance records.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Just some food for thought:

Quoted from Magnuson-Moss Warranty act of 1975

" Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?
Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal. "

Quick Reply: warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer