Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer

When I went in to get my first oil change the service guy told me that my warranty will be voided if I dont use their oil(mobil1)from the dealer. WTF. They told me that even if I were to bring my own oil and let them change it the labor is free as long as its under 10000 miles. I was happy at first since I could save alot of money and bring my own oil but whats the point if my warranty will be voided anyways? GAY! Even if I use the same oil that they use it wouldnt matter because it wouldnt be stored in the computer system. WTF?!!?! The service guy told me thats what happened to one of their customers who used a crappy oil which destroyed his engine, so now they are paranoid at people not getting a full oil change at the dealership. I just think they are just being **** about it and want to make as much money as possible.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

BS. As long as you have it done at the required intervals and save your paperwork for proof, they can't play that garbage.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never had them tell me that but I do keep the reciepts of my Mobile 1 oil just in case they ask what oil I use etc
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:59 AM

true..
Old Sep 15, 2004, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4ce fed
BS. As long as you have it done at the required intervals and save your paperwork for proof, they can't play that garbage.
sounds good to me..going to ask and see if that works.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

More importantly, inform the manager that you'll take your business elsewhere if he'll so boldly declare his willingness to break the law out of spite for you being mindful of your wallet.

They cannot void your warranty for doing your own maintenance or doing it somewhere other than their shop. Keep your records and so long as you have them, they can't decline warranty work based on lack of maintenance.

More importantly, you can have warranty work done at any dealership. If these guys are so ill-informed and ill-intentioned as to say this, why would you want to go there? Just kindly inform them that they can play by the rules or they can lose your business.
-N
Old Sep 15, 2004, 05:11 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

While the dealership can tell you what type of oil to put in the engine they can not tell you which brand to use. Ask them for your warranty denial in writing and go to town on the fools.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

I agree. Ask the service manager to give you that statement in writing. That should end the discussion real fast.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Tell them that's the biggest BS you've ever heard and to put that in writing so that you can expose them. Next time bring a camera to video tape it.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

What dealer is this?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Okay before you all start going off again on Mitsubishi here is some insight. I wrote service for ten years at Volvo, Lincoln and Ford. Let's use an example; If the customer serviced their own vehicle and a turbocharger unit had a failure, the customer then had to provide proof maintanance on the vehicle, before it could be warrantied. And even then a tear-down inspection would be required because the quality of the filter and more importantly the oil could also cause the damage. Over those years I had some that got replaced and some didn't, it would depend on the amount of coking we'd visually see upon inspection. All oils are not created equal nor are the filters. Your best bet is to use Mobil 1 oil and the Mitsubishi brand filters and save your receipts.

If you are not servicing at the dealer then proof of proper maintenance is upon you. When you bought the vehicle you are provided with a minimum maintenance list in your owners manual. If order to be elegible for the warranty you must, in good faith, have that maintenance done. Think of it this way, if you built product "X" and it required lubrication for long life you would list the lubrication intervals that needed to be done in order for you to provide the customer a warranty. If the lubrication did not get done during the listed intervals and the unit failed then why would you warranty it? It's the same thing, you asked to do the minimum maintenance to maintain the vehicle, if you don't they don't have to warranty it. Yes, you can do this on your own, but then the bruden of proof is upon you if the warranty is needed.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Sep 15, 2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

The point isn't that he's not doing the maintenace it's that they are saying he has to do it there using their oil.

The rules are that if you can prove (reciepts and time stamps) that you changed the oil or did the maintenance using the same grade materials your warranty should be in tact.

It would be like a computer company saying... well you bought our computer... you replaced your hard drive with an aftermarket one (one that was not bought through the computer company) and denying support when their network card wasn't working.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Okay before you all start going off again on Mitsubishi here is some insight. I wrote service for ten years at Volvo, Lincoln and Ford. Let's use an example; If the customer serviced their own vehicle and a turbocharger unit had a failure, the customer then had to provide proof maintanance on the vehicle, before it could be warrantied. And even then a tear-down inspection would be required because the quality of the filter and more importantly the oil could also cause the damage. Over those years I had some that got replaced and some didn't, it would depend on the amount of coking we'd visually see upon inspection. All oils are not created equal nor are the filters. Your best bet is to use Mobil 1 oil and the Mitsubishi brand filters and save your receipts.

If you are not servicig at the dealer then proof of proper maintenance is upon you. When you bought the vehicle you are provided with a minimum maintenance list in your owners manual. If order to be elegible for the warranty you must, in good faith, have that maintenance done. Think of it this way, if you built product "X" and it required lubrication for long life you would list the lubrication intervals that needed to be done in order for you to provide the customer a warranty. If the lubrication did not get done during the listed intervals and the unit failed then why would you warranty it? It's the same thing, you asked to do the minimum maintenance to maintain the vehicle, if you don't they don't have to warranty it. Yes, you can do this on your own, but then the bruden of proof is upon you if the warranty is needed.
They should advertise that on TV. Waranty void if not service at the dealer also. Burden of proof should fall on the dealer/manufacturer not the customer. must have a different view that's why they're going bankrupt.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

The thing is if I buy the same identical oil and bring it to them to have them change it for me, the warranty will still be voided. Basically on their computer system it will not say that I purchased the oil from them so even if I show proof of receipts of buying the same oil they wont enter it into their system. It will show a record when I went in to get the service(oil change) but will not record what oil was put in simply because the oil was not purchased from them. Will speak to the manager or go to another dealer and see what they say. BTW I live in Taiwan. Over here the warranty's are slightly different from the US. My warranty is only 2 year 36,000 mile. Sorry if I retyped some of what I said earlier.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Then why does the owners manual on practically every car made out there has instructions on how to change your oil?

Quick Reply: warranty voided for not getting oil change at dealer