Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dark Engine Oil After 500 Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Engine Oil After 500 Miles

just want to know if everyones oil gets dark as fast as mine? I used Mobile 1 full...
Does a **** oil filter couse this problem? Im going to change the oil again tonight and used Mobile 1 filter.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

im gonna assume your evo has very low miles... this may happen because your engine is still breaking in... do you live in a dusty area like arizona etc?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

im assuming it does, as soon as you pour the oil in, it'll change color, no big deal right? As long as the oil is doing its job and lubricating the engine.

Nebo
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

the color of the oil has little to do with its perfromance......i remember there's a post about someone send his oil (used about 5000 miles) to the lab and the result is the oil show very little wear.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, only have 13000 miles.

Does the oil filter have anything to do with the color getting dark faster?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my oil changed at 600 miles a few days ago. It was very dark color but not nasty like you would see in other cars thats been in there for a longer period. I think it is normal for the oil to be dark, im sure even after 100 miles its going to turn black.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek888
Just got my oil changed at 600 miles a few days ago. It was very dark color but not nasty like you would see in other cars thats been in there for a longer period. I think it is normal for the oil to be dark, im sure even after 100 miles its going to turn black.
That's right. It turns black due to heat.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
Hey, only have 13000 miles.

Does the oil filter have anything to do with the color getting dark faster?

you actually want to change the oil filter more often than the oil itself, most oil filter use paper as filter and those paper can fall apart if you leave them there for long period of time .......say u want to change the oil every 6000 mi, i will cahnge the filter at 3000 but leave th eoil there.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosEVO
you actually want to change the oil filter more often than the oil itself, most oil filter use paper as filter and those paper can fall apart if you leave them there for long period of time .......say u want to change the oil every 6000 mi, i will cahnge the filter at 3000 but leave th eoil there.
I do the opposite. I change the oil every 2500 but change the filter every 4500.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

"Blackened" oil is normal it seems for this engine. Heat, as mentioned will make a change, as well as other contaminates. The extra fuel smell in the oil is due to the factory fuel maps, normal. A decent way to gauge your oil is take some between your fingers and feel the thickness, also how well the oil coats the sides of whatever container it's poured into. The Evo is hard on any oil it uses, seems that Mobil 1 starts to get runny after 4k miles of daily commute city/hwy use.

Do yourself a favor and stick to Mobil 1 (I've done the whole oil dance and M1 is just fine) and factory Mitsu oil filters. If something should happen to your engine and the dealer sees a non Mitsu filter...guess what? Keep your oil change records/receipts. I trust Mitsu to make a proper filter for their engine.

If you're wanting to keep a very sharp eye on keeping particulates out of the bearings change your oil filter before your oil - as often as you want, just do a whole change once in a while. Some oil makers like Redline make "rechargers" to replace detergents and whatnot in oils. Just change your oil every 3K-5K miles, use your bean to decide what feels comfy to you.

LIsten to the lifters and head for noise, as an Evo owner you should be in tune with the different sounds your engine makes. More noise equals low oil or time to change.

Check your oil every few days.

High rpm usage (back roads, spirited driving, shifting at 7K+ more than few times per day) will throw more oil out the head and everywhere else, be doubly sure to check your oil level.

Oh yeah, did I mention to check your oil often? (if you want a sure fire way to kill a stock Evo engine, neglect your oil)
Old Sep 16, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it's normal for it to turn black. The color has nothing to do with its effectiveness. It has detergents that suspend contaminates in solution. The harder you drive, the more contaminates (mostly soot) get in there. Just means the oil is doing its job. In the army we used to have oil samples taken and I don't remember a single sample coming back bad, and that oil was normall black as tar.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhosEVO
How do you change the filter without draining the engine? I change my oil at every 3k miles and change my filter at the same time. The filters only cost 5 bucks.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Out of the box, synthetic Mobil 1 is darker than a conventional oil, so that could also be the reason for the dark oil.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
just want to know if everyones oil gets dark as fast as mine? I used Mobile 1 full...
Does a **** oil filter couse this problem? Im going to change the oil again tonight and used Mobile 1 filter.
Ohya do you smell any fuel in your oil?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quickshift
How do you change the filter without draining the engine? I change my oil at every 3k miles and change my filter at the same time. The filters only cost 5 bucks.
You cant unless you cange your filter upside-down.

Quick Reply: Dark Engine Oil After 500 Miles