Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

to RS owners, how are u liking it on a daily basis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to RS owners, how are u liking it on a daily basis

i'm planning on getting an rs, but just want to know how well is it in a day to day basis, i know it's not the most confotable car, but who the hell cars, I love this car, what comforts have u added back in and how much, i just really would want at sound system, and get a high wing on the back, that's about it.

any comments, post pics please
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an evo4 RS but I will still give my opinion.

I find daily driving fine and I got used to having to wind down the windows myself and having no central locking.
I do have air con so that makes it a little more comfortable, and have added a headdeck, two speakers and some evo6 seats (my rs came with crappy base model lancer seats) but thats all the comfort mods that my car has and all I need.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:30 AM

you got any pics of the 4?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

^^ Yeah. Please, if you have them, some pics of the evo 4 rs would be sweet.

- Jason
Old Sep 21, 2004, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

It's like dating the super spastic hottie princess sorority gurl, all the pain is worth the pleasure.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Wanting a sound system and wing? Why not just buy the regular EVO8? After adding those two items, the price will be close enough to the regular EVO8.....
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:46 AM

love it!!! wish it had the AYC and ACD but......still love it..
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's a piece of crap, don't get it! brakes sqeak, jarring ride, ricey box...

Just joking!

Seriously, best bang for buck out there! For 25k, you get it all, power + race car tracking.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heres a couple of pics for the guys who wanted some.

How it looked when I got it.

How it looks now with some evo5 wheels and evo8 brembo's, but ive got some new suspension so it sits 30mm lower than whats shown in the picture.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

i love your car
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I love the RS for a daily driver. I have not added anything but speed mods as of yet. I am thinking of putting a radio in it at some point. I would leave it with no wing just for the stealth of it. Stupid pigs will be after you with that big wing.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:28 AM

Love it. I drive 10 miles of mountain dirt roads each day. I put a good stereo in it. Got it for 25900, with a car cover. 10k less than an MR and lighter!
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

As the kids used to say, it's pretty rad. There's plenty of power, a front LSD, and no wing to draw attention from the 5-0. As a matter of fact, I drive through downtown chicago every day and I almost never get noticed -- even by the other Evos.

I do miss power windows/locks when I'm just tooling around town, but then I remember that I have several thousand dollars left in my pocket.

So, my only real concern for daily driving is the lack of antilock brakes. RS owners: I highly recommend you go out to a deserted area and test your stopping power in the rain. When those brakes lock, it's scary.

Don't get me wrong though. As long as I'm paying attention to the road, I feel the car is very, very safe.

d
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I think the RS is just fine for daily use. I drive around for work a lot so I spend a lot of time in it. The large tire patches pull the car in the truck ruts so I have to maintain a force on the wheel to maintain a path in my lane. I used to drive a company car and I feel maybe a little more fatigued at the end of the day in the RS as opposed to the company cushy vehicle. I added in a decent radio and 4 speakers. And that is all I need. The road noise basically drowns out any good stereo system. The A/C was a key must have. The only thing that I have noticed of major concern is that with the quick steering, you have to pay a little more attention when taking a sip of your drink. Also my sleepiness threshold for long driving days is reduced because any jerky uncoordinated movements induced by sleepiness can put you in the next lane. Sometimes you have to drive when sick or a little sleepy. I haven't experienced this a lot but when I sneezed once just after getting the car I was on the dashed lines of my lane in a blink of an eye.

The wingless white RS is barely noticed by most. Only a few spot it in traffic and the cops just aren't sure what it is. The only guy to know what it is had a Galant VR4. skip the wing enjoy the reduced attention and drag. I smiled when I pulled up to the dealership to pick it up and I still smile when I walk toward it in any parking lot. Like my best friend says, "You have to have a car you get out of with a smile." I start smiling before I get in it!

I take long trips with ear plugs as I always have done since I started flying. They help cut out the road and wind noise while I can still hear what I need to hear.
I have noticed that my neck hurts from trying to hold my big head on when I use the brakes and cornering abilities of the Evo all day long.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, about the brakes. I have locked up the wheels in the rain and even had a rear right lock up for a second on dry pavement at about 80-90 which was odd. I find it comforting that I can lock up my tires at my command.

As the NHTSA has finally admitted in testing, ABS only provides the best stopping distance on wet pavement. I haven't seen the test so this may not be the whole truth. But in my time in the rain with the Evo, I practice my braking when I am all alone on the road. You get used to the modulation needed.