Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will DYI oil change void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will DYI oil change void warranty?

I called Ken Graff Mits in Salt Lake City and talked to the parts guy to see if they have the washer for the transmission fill plug in stock. He told me if a Mits dealer does not perform all the regular maintenance the warranty will be voided. This included oil changes. Is this true? I told him that 3 weeks ago I bought the stock oil filter and plug washer and no one told me that I couldn’t change my oil. He just repeated the warranty line.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:31 AM

Good question. Keep the reciepts for the oil, washers and filter as 'proof' of the oil change. I have and, obviously, perform my own changes.

I haven't read our waranty contract in great detail, but gut feel tells me that Mitsu would have a hard time voiding on an oil change, especially when you can show that oil changes have taken place with the right parts.

Let others with more experience and knowledge guide you before making a final decision.

- Nellie
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Not true.

Here's an excerpt from the letter AMSOIL sends to dealers about their products:

...Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) recommend consumers use lubricants of the proper viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it's petroleum oil or synthetic, may be used without affecting overall warranty coverage. OEMs pay or deny warranty claims based on findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the brand of oil used, or the length of time or number of miles the oil was used...

More info on the subject here:

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/warranty.htm

Think about it...if you could only have the dealer change your oil, nobody told Jiffy Lube

That's like Sears telling you "You can only have us put the detergent in your washing machine....and it has to be Tide!"
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Jiffy Lube runs advertisements about not having to bring your car into your dealer and still meet warranty requirements.

Food for thoughts. Who's lying?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

If I remember correctly, Mistu., in the owner's manual / warranty service, mentions that as long as the oil is changed with the correct API rated oil and at the correct intervals, that is good enough to keep a warranty intact. They do make mention that the EVO 'must' use a full-synthetic oil tho.

Personally, I'm going to do my oil changes with a full-synthetic, and continue to use Mitsu. OEM oil filters. (Which in my opinion have really taken a step down in manufacturing quality lately.)

Come on Mitsu. If you have us pay top dollar for an 'oil-filter' make it a good one.

Personally, since I'm in Utah ... I'm going to call Ken Garff personally over a few 'things' and 'ask' them why they do things and suggest things the way they do.

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOPE !

Can not and will not, owners manual only states "recommended" oil changing intervals and shows u how to do it...

I got into a huge arguement when i bought my Evo with some sales lady when she tried to tell me that I hade to buy the pit pass... I told her open up the owners manual and show me where it states that, she opened it and could not show me then was like well is HIGHLY recommened that you bring it in... I was liek just give me the car so I can get out of here...

Seriously i've come to the conclusion just becasue they work at a dealer doesn't mean they know jack about anything..... I will NEVER let the dealer install or touch my car, except for warranty work.... even then i'm worried
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

as long as you use the right oil and change it in the correct amount of time it wont void warrentee (keep your recepts)
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I buy my oil filters from the dealer and keep the receipts. My service manager told me that would be fine for verifying that the regular maintenance has been performed. They can not "void your warranty" because you change your own oil unless you do something stupid like forget to fill it back up after draining it or put some fluid in it that isn't oil.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Just got back from Ken Graff Mits. Talked to Brad the service manager, he told me that changing my fluid (oil,trans,tc ect..) would not void my warranty as long as it was the proper fluid. The guy behind the parts counter thought the Evo had to be serviced at the dealer in order to maintain the warranty.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Retards. Don't even ask them questions. Not worth listening to them.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man i dont even keep receipts... nothing says I have to haave documented oil changes...