Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FOUND IT! Anti-freeze anticorrosion (Used in EVO)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FOUND IT! Anti-freeze anticorrosion (Used in EVO)

Hello All,

I've been posting some threads from time to time concerning the potential of your antifreeze going into 'corrosion-mode' and reducing the lifetime of our beloved EVOs' motors. I've been trying to find a product that will put back in some chemicals into the antifreeze that are typically 'used-up.'

I'd been informed lately that 'changing' the antifreeze sometimes doesn't put in enough 'anticorrosion' chemicals, and in fact a lot of antifreeze found on the shelf doesn't even pass the 'standards' because the 'anticorrosion' agents have already somewhat worn out in the bottle.

So...I've 'finally' found a product from BG called "BG Super Cool" that apparently puts the agents back in, extends the life of the antifreeze (and believe me, 'extended' life antifreeze really isn't 'extended' life as we know it) and brings the pH level to 'good' blah, blah, blah.

So if anybody out there is interested BG Super Cool is the stuff to get.

jcnel.

P.S. My dealer helped me find this ... they really take good care of me. Now, if Mitsu. corp. would just feel the same.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Do you think I could get this stuff at most auto stores like Pep Boys or Autozone etc.?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

You going to have to provide some proof here for any of this. It's common knowledge that over time, time depending on the metals in contact with coolant, that the Ph levels of the coolant will eventually turn acidic (corosive). At least list WHAT antifreeze products don't provide "enough anticorrosion chemicals" and what are these standards. Doing a 1-2 year flush with your standard off the shelf coolant (Prestone) should be more than enough.
BG makes excellent products, BG44k is proof, and I'm sure their 'Super Cool' product is superb too, but you sound like you're marketing it if anything. Personally the product sounds more like something for lazy people who don't want to flush their coolant system.

Originally Posted by jcnel_evo8
Hello All,

I've been posting some threads from time to time concerning the potential of your antifreeze going into 'corrosion-mode' and reducing the lifetime of our beloved EVOs' motors. I've been trying to find a product that will put back in some chemicals into the antifreeze that are typically 'used-up.'

I'd been informed lately that 'changing' the antifreeze sometimes doesn't put in enough 'anticorrosion' chemicals, and in fact a lot of antifreeze found on the shelf doesn't even pass the 'standards' because the 'anticorrosion' agents have already somewhat worn out in the bottle.

So...I've 'finally' found a product from BG called "BG Super Cool" that apparently puts the agents back in, extends the life of the antifreeze (and believe me, 'extended' life antifreeze really isn't 'extended' life as we know it) and brings the pH level to 'good' blah, blah, blah.

So if anybody out there is interested BG Super Cool is the stuff to get.

jcnel.

P.S. My dealer helped me find this ... they really take good care of me. Now, if Mitsu. corp. would just feel the same.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm i tohught the evo ran Dex-cool which is the new 7 year antifreeze which is suppose to reduce corrosion if not eliminate it
Old Sep 23, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

These are good questions, and I'm going to have to start looking for 'articles' now. I'll do my best and report my findings.

The word from my contact at the dealer was to check out BGProd.com and Motortrend Magazine (going to Borders tonite ) and by just happenchance SpeedVision is going to do an viewing about BG Products stuff tonight. That'd be worth checking out.

Regards,

jcnel.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

What about this stuff, anyone ever looked at it?

EVANS NPG+™ COOLING
http://www.evanscooling.com/main25.htm
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Look up Redline Water Wetter
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Allot of companies make products like this. I used redline water wetter for awhile but i was not aware that it had anythign to do with the corrosion factor but more for lower temps. Royal Purple also makes one called Purple Ice that is similar to the Redline. Is this what we are talking about here or is this stuff specifically for raising the pH levels of the fluid?

Chris
Old Sep 23, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the prestone site:

"Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant

Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is recommended and formulated for use in all GM vehicles that require a GM DEX-COOL® approved formula coolant, as well as all other cars and light-duty trucks with aluminum radiators. This patented formula has a concentrated blend of premium, long-lasting inhibitors for extended performance, protecting against temperature extremes and the ravages of rust and corrosion for 5 years or 150,000 miles."

I don't know if its good enough for the manufacture to put in a new car its good enough for me... Everything else is more for extreme conditions because its not needed for daily use

Last edited by 1QWKEVO; Sep 23, 2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.tandmautomotive.com/1/inf...ng_system.html

Really good article talking about the pH level antifreeze should be at. Right now ... I've got pH strips that read from 5.5 to 9. I think for now ... if it 'drops' below 9, to def. add an additive, like the BK Product.

Now my hunt for pH paper that does like between pH from 7 to 11 resumes!

Later,

jcnel.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

I know some places recycle the antifreeze through a machine. I wonder if this might be part of the problem........
Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I think it would be easier to replace the coolant every couple of years rather than worry about all this....
and BTW I believe it is not DEX-Cool, But prestones other extended life coolant. It is more a yellowy color rather than the orange. It can also be mixed with any other coolant, according to their bottle
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

You know ... I have worked on a plethora of older cars (for friends) and I'm starting to become a firm believer that the coolant is one of the most effective ways of preforming 'preventative' maint. Coolant problems are not the most invasive, but over time, they can add up. Scale, Rust, and such are really hard to track down. Seals wear out, get brittle, crack ... and the little bit of 'water' in the oil adds up over time. For the EVO, its even more advantageous, being that we have a high-boost built engine that forces 'crapola' into the water passage at the head gasket more than another car.

For the cars that I've seen roll around for about 300k miles, I've seen some pretty religious 'fluid' changing going on.

Personally, I really want my EVO to go as far as it can possibly go.

I hope this information helps at least one other EVO member.

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dear god becareful with dex-cool. if that is really what our cars have I might have considered not buying it, but afaik from reading the owners and service manual it is not.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT pour dexcool in ANY cooling system that did not run dexcool to start with and DO NOT put non-dexcool in any system that was originally dexcool unless you are 10000000% that you have flushed out every single drop of dex-cool (ie radiator has been REPLACED, water pump has been REPLACED, the heater has been REPLACED and you have flushed it 50 times with fresh water).

Do a google search on dexcool and find out why this stuff is evil.

DO NOT USE IT IN YOUR EVO*

*unless of course they come with it stock in which case .. .be VERY careful because that stuff can detroy an engine just by being allowed to run a little low for a very short time. ... see google again for info.

As for all the additive packages: they are an outgrowth of the diesel industry that doesn't like changing GALLONS of fluid every time they make a haul. This is why they use by-pass filters with their oil so they really can run for 50k miles on one oil change and just add some extra additives. Same goes for the coolant systems that have filters on them. they just add some corrosion and ph additives and press-on.

But they have to change a LOT of fluid very often (think about the miles they drive) so it is worth it. For us it just isn't. Change your coolant annually / bienially depending on mileage and be happy. There is no proof yet that I have found that off the shelf cooalant is not good enough nor "up to standard" since there are standards and they are tested.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Ok ... another chapter in the life of the antifreeze.

I got back with my dealer and finally decided that a manager's special of putting the EVO on the BG Automotive coolant flush wasn't such a bad idea. So ... I did that. Now from the pH strips that'd I initially gotten (pH between 6.5 and 9) the coolant is WELL above 9.0 instead of like 8.75.

For those that haven't read all this thread's posts ... the pH should be between 9.8 and 10.5. Yes, really basic, but that seems to be where the antifreeze guys want it. So ... I started off in finding a 'strip' that would at least test between 9 and like 11. My friend who owns a Powerstroke Ford, found something for me.

All the big diesel heads do these tests because they don't want to change gallon upon gallon of coolant all the time. Plus their cyl. wall temps. are, I think, higher than our gas motors, and if they get corrosion they can cavitate water, produce a mirco-hotspot and start poking pin holes through their combustion chamber and ruin their cyl. wall linings.

But what he found was a Ford "Fleetguard" strip that you can buy from Ford for like a buck a strip. That seemed way wacko high, so I started looking for test strips. I found something from Bar's Products, tracked down a Bar's dealer in the area where I live, and he immediately pushed me to a WIX product. The WIX "test strip" has like three readings on it. One for measuring if you have a good 50/50 mix of antifreeze to water, one for Nitrate levels, and finally one for pH.

So for about $17.00 for this bottle of 50 strips that seems to have a shelf life of like two years, I'm a happy camper.

Thanks all,

jcnel.

P.S. I didn't run dexcool or eq. into the EVO ... Just plain jane, EVO recommended, antifreeze and a BG package all done on the BG machine.

P.P.S. The bottle seems to have two part numbers on it: 24106 and 524106. If ya'll want ... I'd be happy to personally perhaps do a 'group' buy ... buy a whole bunch and see if I can't get the strips into the $20.00 range, shipped.

Questions? Comments?

Last edited by jcnel_evo8; Oct 21, 2004 at 03:27 PM.