Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Painting brembos, misshifts in an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting brembos, misshifts in an evo?

First off, i wanna paint the brembo calipers to match the color of the car, but is there a special way to go about doing this without painting over the Brembo lettering? I dont think there is, but anyone know of any besides carefully cutting blue painters tape over the tiny brembo lettering?

also, i've seen this go wrong on several cars i wanna know if the evo would do the same.... lets say ur redling the evo in 3rd and misshift and throw it in 2nd instead of 4th, does the evo have some kind of safety feature which would prevent any damage (ie: automatic shutoff, fuel cut, etc...)
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

with the painting thing only way I know is to cut tape out to fit the letters (pain in the butt) or paint the brembo logo back on afterwards.

I honestly don't know about the missshift. I've only misshifted once and it was at low enough RMP's that it didn't spike over 7000.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

if u missshift u hit feul cutoff at 7.5k, u smell burnt clutch.. and kik urself in the *** for doing it. Even with the cutoff, its a HUGE stress on the drivetrain, and mostly will blow ur synchros right off.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is any fuel cut when you miss shift from 3 to 2. That can take you way past redline and mess up the motor. However, I know you will hit the rev limiter when you go beyond about 7500 rpm when you are just upshifting. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:07 PM

no fuel cut off when your misshifting, the engine is mechaniclly trying to get up to speed with the road speed= bent valves, messes up pistons ect.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

instead of painters tape use friskit mask (Stuff airbrushers use its semi clear you see what you are cutting)
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Y Would U Want To Paint The Brembo's To Match You Car Color?
Looks Stupid.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Misshifts and painting calipers? That's a compound question. Break it up into 2 threads

I would not paint the calipers. You will mess them up. Aren't they powdercoated due to the heat they build up? I guess you can have them powdercoated, but will lose the Brembo logo. I agree, looks stupid if painted. I paid 30K for this car to have the big red calipers.