Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Bolsen's Guage cluster light mod ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont get how they are amber in color is the bulbs are clear with blue covers???

and i'm confused, bolsen why did you color the bulbs red?? if all you had to do was take the caps off to make them brighter?? can I just use a razor blade to cut the cap off so I dont risk pulling the bulbs out?

if all i have to do is pull the cluster and take the caps off and then reinstall them to make them brighter then thats cake, but i dont wanna draw on them.

and one more thing, bolsen, did you sand down the needles to make them clear???
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the gauge is amber in color because the faceplate is amber. bolsen colored his bulbs red to get a true red color, not the amber color.
i used a razor to cut the gels off after messing up on the first bulb. i completely pulled it out. now i have to order another one. i don't know what the part number is, though. anyone?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:58 PM

Call up San Rafael Mitsubishi and describe the part to them, they'll hook you up with the right bulbs.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
have the bag mine came in from Mitsu, the number is MR444537
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

is it the big blue bulb(there are 3) or the small one?(only one of these)
because i just got a part number from mitsubishiparts.net and they say MR444536. so i dunno who's right.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I only replaced big bulbs so I think MR444537 is right.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Just did this mod last night, only pulled off the blue covers, and it made a big improvement in brightness. Free mods rock
Old Nov 12, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna try this on the weekend, i've gotta go get some gel caps tho from pepboys tho. Also, how did you make the needles clear? They look good that way.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
i dont get how they are amber in color is the bulbs are clear with blue covers???

and i'm confused, bolsen why did you color the bulbs red?? if all you had to do was take the caps off to make them brighter?? can I just use a razor blade to cut the cap off so I dont risk pulling the bulbs out?

if all i have to do is pull the cluster and take the caps off and then reinstall them to make them brighter then thats cake, but i dont wanna draw on them.

and one more thing, bolsen, did you sand down the needles to make them clear???
The gauge faces are are amberish in color, almost a salmon color.

I don't like orange gauge faces. COming from a VW the blue was soooooooo easy on the eyes that I wanted to get the evo to something close. I actually talked with a vendor that was going to make custom faces but he said it was going to be pricey. Sooo, I was like... eh screw it, I'll take my chances here and see what happens. So instead of having orange gauges, I now have red. Almost Audi red which was very easy on my eyes vs the orange. To get that red, I coloreed the bulbs and put on the gel caps. In hindsight, you probably don't really need to color them, because it fades, but I wanted a RED color... not orange!

Yes if all you want to do is make them brighter, just pull the caps off and move the lil bulb over behind the fuel gauge and move the big one to behind the rpm.

Nope, no sanding the needles... tho I did try that. Just didn't work so well
Old Nov 12, 2004, 08:23 AM
Former Sponsor

so can i just cut the caps off with a razor blade then??? or do I need to save them for any reason?? when the caps are pulled off is the light evenly distributed??

and lastly how did you get the needles clear then?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
so can i just cut the caps off with a razor blade then??? or do I need to save them for any reason?? when the caps are pulled off is the light evenly distributed??

and lastly how did you get the needles clear then?
Yea the lights will be fine if you cut them off. I kept mine, not sure why... just did. However, mine just rolled off... they weren't stuck or anything?

Not goina say about the needles, because I'd like to sell it (Just haven't gotten to that point yet.)
Old Nov 12, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bolsen you are my hero!!!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Just did this today. I found it difficult to remove the cluster from the dash without scratching the surrounding plastic. I removed the gray plastic dash trim to the left that holds the mirror adjustment and fog light switch, which gave a little more space and made removal and reinstall of the cluster much easier.
Thanks Bolsen!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

How do you remove the dome light on the roof? I know there is a screw behind the sun glass holder but then how do you get the peice out? It is still being held on by somthing and i dont just wanna rip it out.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod done today.

Got bored so I did the mod on my 04 WW Evo, today. Check out the difference from Bolsen's 03 Evo pics.

Three gray plugs rather than blue.

Three white gel covers instead of blue and one small bulb with the blue gel cover.

I actually just took off the 3 white gel covers and left the smaller blue one alone. I used some red spray tint to color the bulbs instead of sanding and using the red marker. I'll take pics tonight to show the brightness. But it was a pretty easy mod and it's great cause it was free.

Quick Reply: Bolsen's Guage cluster light mod ROCKS!