Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

removeing one or two mufflers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
I question if this project is going to be worthwhile. Those two resonators are not restrictive. They should flow straight through. Only difference is that the exhaust will have to flow through a baffled region vs. solid walls of your proposed change.

The main muffler seems to be the more restrictive piece. You can do what WORKS does and find a way to keep the flapper valve in the muffler open at all times. Or you can just weld up a muffler delete pipe. Those will probably give you more power gains.
might do that iv seen the flap in my old muffler i might just take the mig welder hold the flap open and shoot some weld into the hing to hold it open.. other then that cuttn the muffler open and puttn it back together isnt all that fun with no help..
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an easier way:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...uffler+flapper
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae

looks easy.. but mig welding is just pulling a trigger ill try it if the mig doesnt work
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno how accurate you can MIG weld since you have to stick the wire feeder pretty far into the muffler. It's worth a shot I guess, but I don't think you'll be able to do a clean job.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

This thread has a good muffler sectional view picture.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...tealth+muffler
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

little update od of stock exaust is 2 5/8 " i have exaust pipe on order i think the guy said he could get me 2 3/4 wich should have pritty close to 2 5/8 id pipe should be here next week probably tuesday .. so i will hopefully get it by thursday and start doing the project maby friday or if i want to wait for chris blackevovii sunday ( hes gettn a new exaust put on his car on saturday and id have his stocker as a backup ) ( to measure the od of the pipe i used two straig edges put one on each side of the pipe had them as level as possable on the ground and in the same place on the exaust and measured between the two inside edges )

Last edited by chinto; Oct 22, 2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
The WORKS 70mm non-resonated Exhale IP is currently $449: http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=52

The pictures shown are of the 76mm resonated Exhale IP. I'll see if I can locate a picture of the non-resonated version. As with the rest of our Exhale components, this peice is completely modular and simply fits in place of the OEM pipe. Installation is straight forward and only requires a few hand tools.

I WOULD NEVER PAY THIS MUCH FOR A DP!!!

I have the Megan Racing 3" downpipe...easily found on Ebay for around $130 shipped. It is as nice or nicer than more expensive donpipes I have seen. It will not fall apart and is made by the same company that makes Helix products. If your on a budget like me then this is a great DP. Hell even if I had the money I still would have bought this.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
I WOULD NEVER PAY THIS MUCH FOR A DP!!!

I have the Megan Racing 3" downpipe...easily found on Ebay for around $130 shipped. It is as nice or nicer than more expensive donpipes I have seen. It will not fall apart and is made by the same company that makes Helix products. If your on a budget like me then this is a great DP. Hell even if I had the money I still would have bought this.

sounds good but im not doing it to the down pipe. im talkn about the mid or intermediate ( IP ) pipe its after the cat and b4 the muffler, the down pipe is after the manifold and b4 the cat. think ur looking at two differnt things.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Chintosaurus has informed me that 2 5/8 is too big ...he is welding forever...boo hoo.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, I just measured my stock exhaust and it's just a little under 2.5" outside diameter. Probably about 2.45".
Old Oct 28, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

the two n 3/4 exaust pipeing i got awas about 1/8" too big.. so iduno what size pipeing.. any way. .. i took out the longer of the two resinators.. i hear no differ in sound maby a little when i down shifted... performance? ha not that i can feel..

the inside of the resonator or what ever i took off.. its straight thru.. on the inside if u hold it up to light their are little perforations but nothing really restricting the flow like i thought their might have been .. so it was basicaly a waist of 4 hours..

any way it was kinda fun if i take the second smaller resonator off thats on the bend im thinkn it would change the sound more.. i might do it a nother time when its not gettn cold out .. any questions let me know and ill try to answer them

night all

( sorry no pics no digital camera ) not really picture worthy any way. )