Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

removeing one or two mufflers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removeing one or two mufflers

ok as some as you may or may not know, the evo comes stock with 3 mufflers basicaly. my question is has any one other then replaceing the whole exaust or cat back removed one or two of them and just put straight pipe in... at one time i had found a nice post with a great diagram but iv been searching for the past hour and can not find it again...

what blackevovii and I are planning in the near future is to take my stock exaust off and from cat back and removeing one or two of the smaller mufflers and seeing if their is any sound differance when a straight pipe is put in its spot ill try to make sure blackevovii brings his camera so we can hopefully throw up pics of what we are going to do ( did ) when we get to it.

quick question for somone that knows 110% but what is the outside diameter of the stock pipe so i can have the correct pipe i need to put into its place.

I dont know how he did it but blackevovii did it once again with his luck he found the diagram i was lookn for.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=41527

Last edited by chinto; Oct 10, 2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

I now have the WORKS IP (non-resonated), which is just a straight pipe. Since it is just a straight pipe, it does not have the 2 mufflers in the middle. In addition, I am running the WORKS DP. All this with the stock muffler. It sounds just like stock, except maybe...just maybe a little bit deeper...if any.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 mufflers?? Maybe you mean the chambered stock muffler and the stock resonator on the mid pipe. If there are three mufflers, Mitsu forgot to install 2 of them on my car
Old Oct 11, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

I think the stock piping is 2.5" on the Evo. I know the gaskets are 2.5".
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOla_VIRUS
3 mufflers?? Maybe you mean the chambered stock muffler and the stock resonator on the mid pipe. If there are three mufflers, Mitsu forgot to install 2 of them on my car
i went off the diagram i found they all say what on the end of them muffler. ugg. im tired grumy and think it might be a cool way to free up horse power for cheep. ( we will see when i get it done )
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I think the stock piping is 2.5" on the Evo. I know the gaskets are 2.5".
ok.. is the 2.5 inside or out side diamiter of the pipe...? im going to need to order pipe to replace what i cut out... im thinkn im crawln under the car with a tape..
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alias
I now have the WORKS IP (non-resonated), which is just a straight pipe. Since it is just a straight pipe, it does not have the 2 mufflers in the middle. In addition, I am running the WORKS DP. All this with the stock muffler. It sounds just like stock, except maybe...just maybe a little bit deeper...if any.

nice and how much that cost ? and did u install it or have somone do it for you?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:47 AM
Account Disabled

The WORKS 70mm non-resonated Exhale IP is currently $449: http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=52

The pictures shown are of the 76mm resonated Exhale IP. I'll see if I can locate a picture of the non-resonated version. As with the rest of our Exhale components, this peice is completely modular and simply fits in place of the OEM pipe. Installation is straight forward and only requires a few hand tools.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
The WORKS 70mm non-resonated Exhale IP is currently $449: http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=52

The pictures shown are of the 76mm resonated Exhale IP. I'll see if I can locate a picture of the non-resonated version. As with the rest of our Exhale components, this peice is completely modular and simply fits in place of the OEM pipe. Installation is straight forward and only requires a few hand tools.
looks nice.. im poor tryn to pay off cc and make horse power at the same time.. $400 bucks kinda outa my buget at the moment.. looks pritty tho.. let me know if u can find one non resonated and it might change my mind Thanks
Dan
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the stock cat-back pipe outside diameter is 60mm or 2 3/8".
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
I believe the stock cat-back pipe outside diameter is 60mm or 2 3/8".

ha thanks. how strongly do u believe this? i was going to go and try to find / order the pipe i need tonight after i get off work

thx
dan
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like a good idea. I know works sells a modified stock muffler with a couple parts removed from it. It would probly go pretty well with what you are looking at doing.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Want to Evo
sounds like a good idea. I know works sells a modified stock muffler with a couple parts removed from it. It would probly go pretty well with what you are looking at doing.
i actually had 2 end mufflers .. i ripped one appart and its some what empty all ready in their you could make it more of a straight path or take out that flapp or remove a few cross members but other then that not much to do in the last muffler.. ( i was board one day ) its a good ideal tho takes some time i just try beating on the flap after i had the exaust cut open it did not want to come free took me 10 min and a big hammer to knock it loss then when i went to weld it shut again the wire was to big and to hot and burnt thru it so i would need to change out the mig wire and try again on my new replacement i got off ebay butt.. if i screw it up id basicaly be running a straight pipe.. and dont want to do that yet cuz its my daily driver
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chinto
ha thanks. how strongly do u believe this? i was going to go and try to find / order the pipe i need tonight after i get off work
I'm about 80% sure. I remember reading it somewhere here before too. I would suggest doing a search, but you'll probably end up having to sort through a thousand threads.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

I question if this project is going to be worthwhile. Those two resonators are not restrictive. They should flow straight through. Only difference is that the exhaust will have to flow through a baffled region vs. solid walls of your proposed change.

The main muffler seems to be the more restrictive piece. You can do what WORKS does and find a way to keep the flapper valve in the muffler open at all times. Or you can just weld up a muffler delete pipe. Those will probably give you more power gains.

Quick Reply: removeing one or two mufflers