Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Disable '05 EVO 5000 RPM launch limit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disable '05 EVO 5000 RPM launch limit

As stated in the owners manual, the '05 EVO has a 5k rev limiter that is enabled whenever the clutch is depressed more than an inch; basically, a built-in 2-step rev-limiter. It's quite likely that the ECU also pulls a bunch of timing when this rev-limiter is engaged--would be interesting to log.

That being said, the 5k limiter is easy to disable. The '05 clutch pedal has three switches associated with it, that's one more than the '03-04:
-- top one is the cruise control switch (yes, I know we don't have cruise, but it's what that switch does on the DSM--cancels cruise when the clutch is depressed more than one inch)
-- bottom switch is the starter interlock, won't start unless this is depressed.
-- 5k switch is at the top, behind the fuse relay panel; very difficult to see, but it can be reached by following the top of the clutch pivot.

To disable any of these switches, you just unplug the connector. If you want to re-enable the switch you just plug the connector back into the switch.

Unlpug the connector to that 5k switch and the 5k rev limiter will go away allowing launches at any RPM. Of course I would not recommend this because the whole purpose of the 5k rev limiter is to limit potential damage to the clutch, drivetrain, etc. Thanks goes to Leon's pit crew for locating this switch/plug ...

Last edited by lacartus; Nov 15, 2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sweeeeeet. Thanks man
Old Dec 6, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

How are you supposed to revmatch with the 5k limit?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
How are you supposed to revmatch with the 5k limit?
hmmm this is only when you are at a dead stop with the clutch depressed in first gear. you can rev match all you want when the car is moving.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks man!!
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

I was wondering about this! Thanks man!

Tom
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lacartus
As stated in the owners manual, the '05 EVO has a 5k rev limiter that is enabled whenever the clutch is depressed more than an inch; basically, a built-in 2-step rev-limiter. It's quite likely that the ECU also pulls a bunch of timing when this rev-limiter is engaged--would be interesting to log.

That being said, the 5k limiter is easy to disable. The '05 clutch pedal has three switches associated with it, that's one more than the '03-04:
-- top one is the cruise control switch (yes, I know we don't have cruise, but it's what that switch does on the DSM--cancels cruise when the clutch is depressed more than one inch)
-- bottom switch is the starter interlock, won't start unless this is depressed.
-- 5k switch is at the top, behind the fuse relay panel; very difficult to see, but it can be reached by following the top of the clutch pivot.

To disable any of these switches, you just unplug the connector. If you want to re-enable the switch you just plug the connector back into the switch.

Unlpug the connector to that 5k switch and the 5k rev limiter will go away allowing launches at any RPM. Of course I would not recommend this because the whole purpose of the 5k rev limiter is to limit potential damage to the clutch, drivetrain, etc. Thanks goes to Leon's pit crew for locating this switch/plug ...
Dammit, thanks. If I would have known this yesterday, I could have hit 12s in my stock MR. Best I could manage was a 1.92 60'...with a 1.72, I'd have been 12.9x.

Btw, I did this, and it worked. I never saw a third switch, so it took me a while to figure out which plug to pull out, but I eventually got it. For a while, I couldn't get my head at an angle that could see more than just one switch, the one for the starter interlock. This one was the easiest to locate and unplug. I tested it and it worked right away. Once I saw the mechanism, it was incredibly basic to understand how/why it works. Then, it took me going to a much smaller mini-mag and getting my head at an angle DIRECTLY under the fuse box before I saw this other plug that I had not seen from any other angle. From the angle it took to view it, there was no way I could get an arm up there, so I located it with my eyes, then memorized the general vicinty along with the direction of the latch, then pulled my head out and reached in blindly. It was very easy to get my meaty paws in there and then unplug it with no problems. I then revved and was able to go all the way to 7k unhindered.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Apr 10, 2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lacartus

ive looked around under there and dont find the plug. yes, im a little slow at times what does it look like color, size, what not. thanx
Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

It is a black/white connector with two wires. It is easiest to see if you remove the lower dash cover bellow the steering colmn. You can see it if you are looking just to the left of the fuse/relay box. Look between the fuse/relay box and the steel brace.

To unplug it I put a screw driver through the space between the left side of the fuse box and the steel brace. Use the screw driver to push in the clip and unplug the connector.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 06:13 PM

Pictures of switch

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
ive looked around under there and dont find the plug. yes, im a little slow at times what does it look like color, size, what not. thanx
The quickest way to find it is to follow the clutch pedal mechanism up with your hand until you feel a button switch, then reach to the back of the switch and remove the plug (squeeze the back to release the catch on it).
The longer way to do it is to remove the lower dash cover, here's a pic with it removed (the switch is at the top with the red box drawn around it):

Here's a close-up of the switch:

It's not too hard to find once you remove that dash cover.
Attached Thumbnails Disable '05 EVO 5000 RPM launch limit-5kswitch-small-.jpg   Disable '05 EVO 5000 RPM launch limit-picture-173-small-.jpg  

Last edited by lacartus; Apr 11, 2005 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Fixing broken link to pic
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, I just with I would have known that before I started making passes..I actually made what would have been a 12 second pass but I had to let up due to being in a bracket race..Now I have a re flash so its not really stock anymore but feels like its good for a 12 with a 2.0 short time!!
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Dammit, thanks. If I would have known this yesterday, I could have hit 12s in my stock MR. Best I could manage was a 1.92 60'...with a 1.72, I'd have been 12.9x.

Btw, I did this, and it worked. I never saw a third switch, so it took me a while to figure out which plug to pull out, but I eventually got it. For a while, I couldn't get my head at an angle that could see more than just one switch, the one for the starter interlock. This one was the easiest to locate and unplug. I tested it and it worked right away. Once I saw the mechanism, it was incredibly basic to understand how/why it works. Then, it took me going to a much smaller mini-mag and getting my head at an angle DIRECTLY under the fuse box before I saw this other plug that I had not seen from any other angle. From the angle it took to view it, there was no way I could get an arm up there, so I located it with my eyes, then memorized the general vicinty along with the direction of the latch, then pulled my head out and reached in blindly. It was very easy to get my meaty paws in there and then unplug it with no problems. I then revved and was able to go all the way to 7k unhindered.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:28 AM

Talking disabled launch control

dude thanks a ton found the switch unpluged it and wala ,thanks again now i can get this thing moving
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:23 PM

I hate this darn rev limiter and now know how to disable it.

Going to do it tomorrow.

Really appreciate your help.

Jim H.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Observe....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=165759
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good info, I was about to look into this on my friends 05 when I had the chance...

Quick Reply: Disable '05 EVO 5000 RPM launch limit