Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2006, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
Thats interesting...the 8's dont have the extra "cam plate??" to the right of where your red circle is...
I guess not. I was reading an earlier post in this thread and the guy was talking about removing the black plate or bracket, and I'm like "What bracket is he talking about?" I suppose it would be that cam plate.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

the 8 and 9 are different. 9 nine has diffenet cam set up obviously for the mivec.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

dumb question, but down by the filter, is it ok to install the pressure adapter to either one of the fittings or only the one angled downwards and towards the rear of the car and not the one pointing straight towards the wheel? The reason I ask is I got the nut for the one pointing straight out(where the OP mounted the temp sender) out of there, but cant get the other one out quite so easily.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So the supplied sensors and adaptors provided with the Defi BF's are of proper thread and pitch to install their oil temp and pressure units directly into the provided taps in the oil filter housing? The Defi oil pressure sending unit is much smaller than the Autometer one. Has anyone mounted it straight to the oil filter block successfully?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bueller...?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

so does the hex bolt down by the filter take NPT or BSPT? I need to order the adaptor from 42draft
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bernardo
One more question, in reference to tapping the head for the oil pressure sensor, Invoice Evo (around post #94) used this spot on the head.

There are three "taps" in that area, all in a row, about 2" apart from each other. Is any of the 3 spots ok to use? (the below pic only shows the middle of the three) It looks like the middle one (circled in the pic) is the most accessible one, is that the one to use? Thanks

I've got the same question, and I would like to know if the Defi 1/8" BSPT Oil pressure sender will thread directly into the block at these points. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, to those who removed the bracket which holds the throttle cable and routes a few wiring harnesses...did you have any problems with the bracket removed? Did you re-tie any of the now-orphaned cables?

Thanks again guys!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:26 PM

My plans

Wow, that is a lot of reading. I actually finished every post in this thread but I still seem foggy.

If I have read everything correctly, my plan will go as follows.
- Buy a Defi BF oil pres. gauge and misc control unit equipment
- In going with oil filter location, buy a 42 Draft 1/8 BSPT adapter
- Jack up my car and block the front
- Remove the tire and wheel well panel
- Pick whichever 8mm nut that I can get to and break free
- Attach parts with a fair amount of teflon

Maybe this part is a dumb question but should I be prepaired to have to change the oil since I am opening this plug? I read somewhere that if I do not remove the filter I should not have much leakeage. I also assume I can still get in there with a wrench with the filter attached though?

Is my plan flawed or am I on the up and up? I really like to have a sound game plan versus stumbling around under my car.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

so someone tell me what is the final answer to install the oil pressure sending unit
Old Feb 14, 2007, 09:43 AM

Oil Pressure install

I just got my Defi equipment yesterday and I am going to install everything this weekend. Nobody has replied to my previous post on the oil filter. I need to remove the oil filter, to allow room to work, and I hope that it does not dump all of the oil out. I am hoping that the oil is all back in the pan or at least not in that area of the engine so that I do not loose it all.

I am going in for an oil change next week and I don't want to have to buy new oil to just trade it out again. I have warranty covered oil changes so I still go to the dealer.

I strongly suggest anyone interested in buying Defi gauges to go to Defi's web site to get part numbers. It gets confusing when dealing with imperial and metric on each type of gauge and even suppliers have mixed them up. This will insure you get what you want. http://www.defi-shop.com

I ended up buying the 42design oil adapter which is needed to make the conversion from the oil pressure sensor to where you attach near the oil filter. I have already checked the threads and they match up correctly.

I plan on documenting and taking pictures of everything for my own instructions on my web site http://www.evolution-8.com but I will not have the directions done right away.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...lot's of pretty good information here (if you can piece it together). We should make this a sticky for people who want to install their Defi's.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:00 PM

Detailed Defi-Link Boost & Oil Pressure / Temp Directions

I now have *detailed* and complete directions for defi-link boost and oil pressure / temp install posted on my web site with plenty of pics. I have additional directions for the glovebox removal and a-pillars as you may need to do these also.

http://www.evolution-8.com/howto.php

If anyone has questions or pictures that you would like to see that I do not already have posted, let me know and I will see what I can do.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bolsen
Drop me a PM with any questions!

http://bolsen.homeip.net/oilgauge.htm

great write-up
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Quick question: Is the port down by the filter where most people are installing a pressure gauge sender, right off of the pump, but before the oil is filtered? It appears so for me, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to take a stab at a prelubing system and it would be nice if I can pass the oil through the oil filter.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

LOL...this is a load of info...but I am still unclear about something:

If you are installing BOTH oil pressure & oil temp., do you need TWO adaptors like the ones 42draft sells? Also, someone mentioned that the DEFI gauges have a thread pitch that matches the stock oil filter location plugs...is that the case?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install