Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

how to avoid frustration installing Blitz DTT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how to avoid frustration installing Blitz DTT

first off, the photos:

okay the first image is my brand spanking new BLITZ DTT DCII. I installed it myself. New? what happened to the button you say? Well, I'll explain.
First off installing this is actually pretty easy. First get the TT and a matching harness. i couldn't find one locally from blitz so i got the HKS one instead for evo's 93-2000. i figured the wiring would be the same. WRONG. the plugs match but the wiring is backwards or so i thought. the first thing that i did was to take out the little m/f- pins/sockets and reverse them so they would match the factory wiring. after i hooked everything up, the car started and wouldn't stop starting. thank you very much to member benji for his wiring codes.
after studying his codes and the blitz wiring diagrams i finally got everything to work right. I routed the vacuum tap(2nd pic) which i got from the last part of the manifold) through the firewall. I looked for about half an hour trying to find a place to put my tube. 3rd pic is where there is a grommet. it is located passenger side behind shock tower. just push it through. after you get grommet out, you can drill it (solid rubber) but i just wanted to finish.
Here is the part where i get to without frustration. when installing the DTT, i reccomend removing strut bar, lower dash panel, glove box, the little panel on side of glove box, the passenger front kick panel (left and right), the passenger side door sill plate ( need to take off for kick panel) AND OF COURSE, THE STEERING COLLUM. (3screws).
1 various notes. to remove the glove box, there is the left side tab. pull the glove box out halfway, then push on tab. after that, you can squeeze the right side tab out, and then open the box all the way down to remove.
2 I used velcro to mount "brain" of timer to metal plate. it's much easier to use than 2way tape.
3. just ground the damn purple wire. i don't know how many of us park w/o the parking brake anyways. all the usdm evo's are sticks.
4.when reassembling the steering collumn, watch out for both the wiring harness, and the rubber surround in the key area.
5. you have to line up the bottom part of the steering collumn w/ the screw holes. the 2 front screws go directly into the collumn, while the back screw goes into the top part of the collumn.Put the 2 front sscrews in first, make sure they go into the holes in the steering collum. then do the 3rd screw in the back.
6. on 05 evo's on the side near the glovebox is the brain for the acd. it makes it hard to get access to the gommet hole but it is manageable.
7. Don't drop the screen of the unit. mine fell apart and all the buttons went flying. i have the last stall in my structure so the last button is in the grass somewhere, that is why i have only 2 buttons on my brand new turbo timer.
8. the wiring diagram from benji( search for ignition wiring, i'm to lazy to put in another link) was extremely helpful in making my hks 93-00 evo harness, work w/ my 05 evo and blitz dtt. Once again, i don't know who you are benji but thank you very much.
9. any questions, p.m. me and i will be more than glad to help.
Good luck

Last edited by mrbkkt1; Nov 3, 2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

i'll post some more pics and experiences later but i'm pooped out now,didn't even have time to play w/ new toy yet.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

oh btw, if anyone has a dtt thats broken, i need a new power button.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

made a makeshift button from an old remote control. but wish i could have a stock button.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

made a new button out of FIMO the pvc plastic stuff. make a mold of remaining button out of fimo, then use new fimo to make buttons. use soap and water in mold so new fimo will release.
also make about 5 buttons out of the mold to make sure if you have any mistakes.
fimo is cheap. i spent $2.00 on fimo and now i have new pearlescent buttons for turbo timer.
Old May 8, 2005, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple of questions...?

fist.. does your tt always read -0.54 bar or something of that nature.. just wanna know if its reading right....

second.. do you have an alarm.. ive tried to hook it up w/ my alarm... but running into all kinds of problems.. (any recommendations?) so it just hook it strait up and i have to wait n e ways for it to turn off so i can arm the car or elese when the car shuts off the doors unlock..

thanks..
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:04 PM

This might be out of topic. I have the exactly same turbo timer.
Do i still need the boost gauge?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

from what i've heard, its fairly accurate. i used mine to tune my mbc. and i don't plan on getting an analog boost gauge.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:53 PM

does the "T" fitting that came with your dtt the same diameter as the vacuum line? Mine came with the same diameter as the black hose, smaller than the vacuum line.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it is smaller than a normal vacuum line. it comes w/ a plastic hose that you use. the bottom of the t- that goes to the plastic is small, while the ends of the t is big to fit vacuum line.

UPDATE!!!!;
If you are thinking of the DTT, then get the DC IV. I just got one, cause i dropped something on the timer head, and cracked the clear plastic.
THe DC IV has a white background light which is very clear and easy to read. I will post pics later.