Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Painting center panel pieces... just can it!:D

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting center panel pieces... just can it!:D

Thought I'd post this for people tired of the whole monotone look of the center dash /panel area. Here are the after pics and instructions will follow.

The paint I used was a spraycan of my old Impreza RS color, Royal Silver/Silverthorn Metallic, from painscratch.com. But you mod, you choose.

You will also need a can of Adhesion Promoter, a kind of primer you use to paint plastic pieces, like the bumper, etc. You can find in Autozone or something.

Having the service manual helps to know where the clips/screws are.. but I'll do what I can to describe the deconstruction process I used.

To start off...
You have to remove the plastic cover for your gauges, above the steering column. 2 screws, pretty easy. Take that off and the small piece on the side, with the foglight button and mirror button, you can just pry off. Be careful cause the buttons are attached from behind by the connection wires. Unplug the buttons and then you should be able to remove them from the vent piece, noting where they clip onto the piece.

For the big piece with the heater vents:
1) Take out center console cover by pulling off the knobs. You will find 2 screws behind the a/c-heater knobs, unscrew them, then pry off the center console cover, carefully.

2) You will find 2 screws that attach the center piece, right under the central vents. Even after you take these 2 screws off, you will find the center piece is still hard to move.

3) Unscrew the 2 screws and find a hard plastic or something as thin as a credit card to use for the next step. I actually used a putty knife.

4) The center piece is attached by about 8-10 clips unto the dash area. You will need the plastic/putty knife to slip in between the cracks to help unclip the center piece. Gently pry it off with the plastic tool, you should hear it unclip at certain points. just be careful you don't pull too hard or you might break some of the clips, but take your time and you should be ok.

5) Take note that the Hazard button and the clock is attached at the back by a couple of plugged wires. Unhook those and the center piece should come off clean.

6) The vent area is attached to the piece by about 8 screws and clipped, but very easy to take off.

7) Wash the pieces with soap and water, dry, spray with the adhension promoter then paint. Light coats, maybe 3-4 layers.
**side note** You can clearcoat if you want, I didn't cause I like the slight dullness and texture from not putting clearcoat.

Just remember to take your time and NOTE everything you did so you can put your sh-te back together. Good luck.

* Disclaimer: This mod comes with no warranty from the poster. You are responsible for your own modding actions!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it looks good! I've always wanted a change of color for my interior without having to drop like 300 bucks for that carbon fiber stuff. I might have to try it out this weekend
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Also did you paint that peice inside of the gauge cluster or did you buy that part from mitsu?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

nice work.

man, i've been looking everywhere for that "warning, this vehicle is equiped with a turbo, all females need to remove loose fitting clothing" or something sticker. where can i get one?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Also did you paint that peice inside of the gauge cluster or did you buy that part from mitsu?

The gauge piece is an option from Mitsu. It's in line with the shift knob, pedals and e-brake handle pieces that dealers install from . I got mine used from a member here.

Good luck on the modding! Easy mod and fun. Should be less than 2 hours. Waiting for the paint to dry takes most of the time, so GT4 will help while waiting.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
nice work.

man, i've been looking everywhere for that "warning, this vehicle is equiped with a turbo, all females need to remove loose fitting clothing" or something sticker. where can i get one?

MachV sells them. I just printed mine at work and stuck it on some poster board and taped it on there.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:19 PM

For yellow lancers, dupli-color's import yellow is pretty close to the factory paint.