Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to install Sparco Grip Pedals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2005, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install Sparco Grip Pedals

I was trying to learn how to do heel-toe and the first thing I ran into was the fact that the factory pedals are too narrow and too far apart ('03 Evo), so I bought a set of Sparco Grip Pedals.

I compared the generic Sparco installation instructions to my stock throttle pedal and knew I was in trouble right away.

I did a search here and on the SoCalEvo site looking for someone who had done a successful install and posted instructions - found lots of posts of people like me asking for help (like this one: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41222) but no success stories.

Also found this post which had a good pic of the underside of the throttle pedal, the source of all problems:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45434

Here's the main issue: The bommerang shaped throttle arm is always in the way - if I slid the new pedal up the lower hole was blocked, if I slid the new pedal down the upper hole was blocked, and the center hole would never work due to the triangle of reinforced plastic on the backside of the pedal (see attched pic).

I called Sparco and the best advice they gave me was that it would make life much easier if I removed the throttle pedal first (pull out from top left corner). They also suggested I think about using the carbon pedals, like they have on the Sparco Evo, because they have offset bolt holes that won't interfere with the throttle arm as much.

Being stubborn I decided there had to be a way to bolt the new Sparco metal pedal directly to the throttle arm.
Attached Thumbnails How to install Sparco Grip Pedals-pedal-_clamps5.jpg  

Last edited by Mike_T; Apr 4, 2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 02:59 PM

I took a trip down to Kragen auto parts and found exactly what I was looking for - clamps!
Attached Thumbnails How to install Sparco Grip Pedals-pedal-_clamps2.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2005, 03:01 PM

I did a test-fit on the backside of the new throttle pedal and compared it to the back of the stock pedal - looks like it might actually work!
Attached Thumbnails How to install Sparco Grip Pedals-pedal-_clamps1.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2005, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

good DIY
Old Apr 4, 2005, 03:07 PM

I ran into the same exact problem installing my sparco pedals. The gas pedal is basically a piece of plastic snapped onto a metal bar with some bends.
I ended up placing the sparco pedal as best as I could over the stock plastic piece and drilling two small holes through it while avoiding the metal bar. I then used some smaller taping screws instead of the included hex bolt/nut things. It feels pretty secure and if you find good screws, it will not be noticeable.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 03:08 PM

Next I pinched the clamps around the boomerang at the end of the throttle arm, flat side up with the tabs pointing to the right (yes I got it backwards the first time):
Attached Thumbnails How to install Sparco Grip Pedals-pedal-_clamps3.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2005, 03:20 PM

Then I mounted the new Sparco Pedal, aligned the clamps, slipped in a couple of the countersunk bolts, held the nut in place on the backside with a 10mm ratchet, and turned the bolt with a T-Handled hex wrench. I tightened everything till the pedal felt secure and went for a test drive. I later ended up trimming the corner of the stock floor mat so that the new throttle pedal would clear it on the rebound vs. lifting the mat.

That was it - far easier than I expected! And if I need to I can switch back to the stock pedal with ease.

When I went into Kragen I was actually looking for bare metal clamps but it's the rubber coating that actually keeps them from turning - there were two sizes in this particular package, and I used the two smaller clamps marked with "R5" on the back. I don't expect to have any problems with the clamps - but if they start to slip or break off I'll be sure to post it!
Attached Thumbnails How to install Sparco Grip Pedals-pedal-_clamps4.jpg