Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How-to: Autopower bolt-in rollbar install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marksae
WarmPepsi,

How come your roll bar has hinged joints for the horizontal and diagonal braces? vtluu's bar has these joints welded.
they're options. You can go removable, or welded solid. I've done quite a few trips with the evo in the past, and reclining the seat is a must to sleep. I opted for the bolt through's so that if i do want to trip the car, all i have to do is unbolt the two pieces, and it's like theres no bar there at all. (just the hoop from the bottom to the top, and the pieces to the fenders.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any removable front bars, running past the driver/passenger seats. as in removable pieces and bolt to the floor pan? Just curious.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
Any removable front bars, running past the driver/passenger seats. as in removable pieces and bolt to the floor pan? Just curious.
no, as a main structure piece like that could not be removable. As the rear legs slide on, the joints would need to be the same way, and thats not possible.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johnnysixer
What is the flat bar connecting to the diagonal bar for?
I'm told it's a headrest support/brace. NASA/SCCA roadracing rules require that a seat be braced from behind (granted, they also require a rollcage) unless the seat is FIA homologated and mounted accordingly.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vtluu
I'm told it's a headrest support/brace. NASA/SCCA roadracing rules require that a seat be braced from behind (granted, they also require a rollcage) unless the seat is FIA homologated and mounted accordingly.
yeah, it's meant for reclining seats (usually stock, etc) , as they were never really designed to have the G forces on them. and you might exceed the forces and brake the recliner mechanism, and that'd send you back and down in a crash... bad idea.

I've seen it on non-reclining ones also, but more likely than not, it's the recliners.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Can you still use the back seat for transporting a set of race tires with this roll bar?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whiterexman
Can you still use the back seat for transporting a set of race tires with this roll bar?
i'd highly doubt it. The seat bottom will slide in and out, but thats even tight. If you were to slide them through from the front, maybe, but i'm gonna say "no", because i've seen 4 tires in the back of an evo, and that was a tight squeeze.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

So how do you take an extra set of race tires with you to the track with this roll bar?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whiterexman
So how do you take an extra set of race tires with you to the track with this roll bar?
i don't drive to the track. the evo gets a free ride, i unload, drive, load, and drive home.

Everything is prep'd before hand, no frantic unloading of the car, wheel/brake swaps, etc. I do it 2 days before, and leisurely put it back to normal the following day.

makes the whole day a lot more enjoyable i'd say.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

you need to take out the front passenger seat to put tires in the back seat area, if you need the passenger seat you will just have to take it out and in over and over again.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
i don't drive to the track. the evo gets a free ride, i unload, drive, load, and drive home.

Everything is prep'd before hand, no frantic unloading of the car, wheel/brake swaps, etc. I do it 2 days before, and leisurely put it back to normal the following day.

makes the whole day a lot more enjoyable i'd say.
I'm so jealous of you....

I still need the back seat for race tires.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nothere
you need to take out the front passenger seat to put tires in the back seat area, if you need the passenger seat you will just have to take it out and in over and over again.
I see.

That's a great idea. I totally forgot I have seem people do that with their Miata and S2k where they removed their passenger seat for the race tires.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Went to Willow Springs (350 miles so I didn't want to drive on the race tires) a couple weeks ago; after taking out the passenger seat I was able to one tire behind my seat (in the rear left footwell), one tire in the rear right footwell, and two side-by-side where the front passenger seat used to be. These are 275/40-17s. Before taking out the front passenger seat, I used to carry two tires in the trunk (with the spare out), two in the front passenger seat. The new arrangement lets me carry six 5-gallon gas cans of race gas in the trunk.

I'm going with WarmPepsi's plan though--shopping for a tow rig... With no A/C, all the interior out and a full cage the Evo's become impractical (if not a bit unsafe) for all but the shortest road trips.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vtluu
Went to Willow Springs (350 miles so I didn't want to drive on the race tires) a couple weeks ago; after taking out the passenger seat I was able to one tire behind my seat (in the rear left footwell), one tire in the rear right footwell, and two side-by-side where the front passenger seat used to be. These are 275/40-17s. Before taking out the front passenger seat, I used to carry two tires in the trunk (with the spare out), two in the front passenger seat. The new arrangement lets me carry six 5-gallon gas cans of race gas in the trunk.

I'm going with WarmPepsi's plan though--shopping for a tow rig... With no A/C, all the interior out and a full cage the Evo's become impractical (if not a bit unsafe) for all but the shortest road trips.
exactly. I'll be getting a little truck, been borrowing one basically, and a little trailer to do my stuff. Just makes it 100% easier, when i get it all done, i'll post up some pics (whenever that might be )
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Can we get these pics rehosted or something?

Quick Reply: How-to: Autopower bolt-in rollbar install