Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How-to: Autopower bolt-in rollbar install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
I just got mine in from Autpower - I ordered the bar thru Hotlap (Kingkyle) and also got a set of sparco 5 pt harnesses from him. I will tackle the install later this spring - car is gutted anyways

I wish someone had a pic of the 1st step which seems the hardest for me to understand - Maybe I'll take a pic with some carboard or something..
What step you want a pic of? I tried to take a lot when I installed everything. I might have something for ya. I posted a few pics earlier in the thread.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

pics arent working
Old Jan 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
What step you want a pic of? I tried to take a lot when I installed everything. I might have something for ya. I posted a few pics earlier in the thread.
first step - the way to get the main hoop into the car. It says from passenger rear and to have someone in the car angle it upwards and inwards - I am not sure what they mean by "it may tear the sideskirts" unless it refers to the part outside the car not fitting in....
Old Jan 9, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

first step - the way to get the main hoop into the car. It says from passenger rear and to have someone in the car angle it upwards and inwards - I am not sure what they mean by "it may tear the sideskirts" unless it refers to the part outside the car not fitting in....
Ahhh. I don't have a pic of this as it took both of us to get it in. The 'sideskirts' comment probably refers to the egress portion of the door. If your not careful you can scratch the inner door sill or even the sideskirt (ala ground effects we have) below the door. I put a towel in the door for an extra buffer.

I highly recommend removing both the front seats to accomplish the initial insertion of the bar. You'll need the room. I disconnected the center console, but didn't remove it; but that would give you even more room.
Just take your time and use 2 people to slowly work it into the car. If you have a sunroof, I believe the ceiling is pretty tight.
Hope that helps.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh. I don't have a pic of this as it took both of us to get it in. The 'sideskirts' comment probably refers to the egress portion of the door. If your not careful you can scratch the inner door sill or even the sideskirt (ala ground effects we have) below the door. I put a towel in the door for an extra buffer.

I highly recommend removing both the front seats to accomplish the initial insertion of the bar. You'll need the room. I disconnected the center console, but didn't remove it; but that would give you even more room.
Just take your time and use 2 people to slowly work it into the car. If you have a sunroof, I believe the ceiling is pretty tight.
Hope that helps.
My car is fully gutted right now, so the seats are not a concern. Not running center console evar again either. I am dropping sunroof as well before I install it. I ordered a non-sunroof cage esp. for this reason. I will try that. Maybe have someone take pics to help this cause out. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Hope that helps.
Closest pics I have to the hoop install before/after:

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 10, 2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Once it is in the car, I will need to install the remaing points and bolt thru the sides, correct?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any pics on how some of you managed to keep your backseat with a cage? Get the seats cut? How's it done.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Once it is in the car, I will need to install the remaing points and bolt thru the sides, correct?
Well yeah, you need to physically bolt the rollbar into your car to finish the installation....

Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
Any pics on how some of you managed to keep your backseat with a cage? Get the seats cut? How's it done.
While I don't have my backseat or seatback in, I've seen others with it. You have to cut a bit of the foam backing and wire supports to work around the bars. Measure; cut; fit; install.
Note you'll not be able to transport people in the back. There's not enough room and it's highly highly dangerous. It would cut down on some noise passthrough with the seats back in and less NASA points.

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 19, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Pic of the passthrough bar I worked up.
Not sure if you can tell in the last pic, but I modified the rollbar on the passenger side to allow for removal of the cross-bar. This way I can still haul 3 tires in the back seat area. Otherwise it's close to worthless area in transit.

Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I wasn't able to weigh the bar before install. Anyone know the weight of the Autopower 4pt rollbar?
Old May 7, 2009, 03:02 PM

Nice writeup! I'm going to be installing one soon and I appreciate the tip on using the grade 8 bolts! Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

i need pics
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wasn't able to weigh the bar before install. Anyone know the weight of the Autopower 4pt rollbar?
Just in case anyone looks at this thread again when they're researching Autopower bolt-in roll bars, my Autopower Race roll bar (part #60952) weighed 61.4 pounds including all hardware and all four mounting area backing plates. It came from the factory painted black as well.

I just did this install... Cliff notes:
  • Remove rear seat back. Move both front seats (if you have OEM seats) as far forward as they'll go in the sliders, then tilt the seatbacks are far forward as they'll go.

• Take the two Phillips screws out of the bottom of the center console and remove it. You need to pull upwards on the front of the console to release the clips from the trim around the shifter. Optional: remove the threshhold trim for the passenger rear door (or cover it with a thick towel to protect it).

• Put the roll bar in via the passenger side rear door. Don't try this without a friend. It's too heavy and awkward to maneuver into place by yourself and not scratch up the car.

• Even with a friend, I suggest wrapping up the stub on the passenger side for the rear support bar that points backwards to minimize damage to your car if you accidentally run it into the body of the car, just outside the door jamb. I wrapped it with a dead bicycle inner tube to cover/pad the sharp nasty edge of that slip-fit tube; you could also use a few layers of thick cardboard and tape.

• To get the passenger-side base of the rollbar hoop into the car, you must manuever the driver side base of the rollbar hoop into the area previously occupied by the back half of the center console you just removed, between the front seats, just above the E-brake cables.

It would definitely be easier to remove the driver's seat entirely; I just wanted to see if it was possible to install the roll bar hoop with both front seats installed. It is, but the clearance between the passenger-side base of the main hoop to the inside of the passenger-side rear door's plastic door panel is very tight as you're sneaking it in the final couple inches. Be careful not to scratch the door panel with the passenger side foot of the roll bar, or either remove the driver's seat or the passenger rear door panel to give yourself considerably more clearance to work.

• The two rear bars aren't labeled left and right (on my Autopower 60952, anyway) but they ARE different. To save yourself some potential headscratching or wasted time/effort installing them on the wrong sides, note that when you look at the baseplates to the rear wheelwells, the long side of the rectangular plate that has TWO bolt holes along it goes towards the center of the car.

• Watch for that thin wire along the inside of the rear door openings when you're trying to position the assembled roll bar back where it needs to sit.

I'll post up some pictures later on.

Last edited by EGbeater; Oct 9, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 01:01 PM

Any pictures with clearance for the back seat? I don't always have someone back there, but sometimes I do, is the harness bar easily removable for when I do have passengers with the Auto Power set up?