Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Defi gauge installation

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi gauge installation

The gauges I am going to be installing are defi d gauges. I already have the boost gauge hooked up and it works great. Tapped the dimmer switch and I cannot get it to dim with the cluster but I don't care about that. On or off is good enough for me. My questions are regarding the other d series gauges. Temp and pressure, etc. These gauges have four wires. I found some installation instructions somewhere on here.

Red - 12V constant / tap the radio harness black/red stripe wire or fuse slot # 10
Black - Ground / any bare metal or black wire on cig lighter
Orange - 12V ignition on / tap red wire on cig lighter
White - Illumination / tap cig lighter green / white stripe wire

Can anyone confirm the accuracy of these?
Also, can I splice all red gauge wire or other color together so I only have to tap the radio harness once? Or for each same colored wire from the different gauges should I tap them all seperately? Understand? I just don't want to have multiple taps in the same wire if I don't have to. Anyone with these gauges please help me out on what the best way to do it is.
Old May 9, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Any thoughts please. I know there are a few threads on this already, but nobody ever says what they ended up doing to fix their wiring problems.
Old May 9, 2005, 05:25 PM

I have the defi d series gauges also, when I installed my boost gauge I tapped into the dimmer switch and mine dosent dim either.

As for the gauges with the four wires, when I got my EGT gauge, I tapped the red and orange wire together then into the radio. I did the same with my fuel pressure gauge and then wired it into my EGT gauge so I only tapped into the radio once. As for the wihite wire, I tapped that into the white wire from the boost gauge. I havent had any problems with this and ive have it going this way for a while now with no problems.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

thanks
Old May 10, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thegame
Red - 12V constant / tap the radio harness black/red stripe wire or fuse slot # 10
Black - Ground / any bare metal or black wire on cig lighter
Orange - 12V ignition on / tap red wire on cig lighter
White - Illumination / tap cig lighter green / white stripe wire

Can anyone confirm the accuracy of these?
Also, can I splice all red gauge wire or other color together so I only have to tap the radio harness once? Or for each same colored wire from the different gauges should I tap them all seperately? Understand? I just don't want to have multiple taps in the same wire if I don't have to. Anyone with these gauges please help me out on what the best way to do it is.
Yep, all of the red, orange, black, and white wires can be combined from the different gauges so that you end up with one for each color.

There are multiple places to tap for Constant 12V, Switched 12V, Illumination, and ground, some of which are more convenient than others depending on where you'll end up having your gauges. I had mine in a pillar pod and here is how I tapped mine:

Red = Constant 12V = #17 fuse behind the pop-out coin tray using a small add-a-fuse from Autozone.

Orange = Switched 12V = #10 fuse behind the pop-out coin tray using a small add-a-fuse from Autozone.

Black = Ground = bolt in the lower left driver's side footwell

White = Illumination = Green with white stripe wire going to dimmer switch

The fuse spots #17 and #10 are not used in the stock car and if you use the add a fuse line then you will need 4 extra fuses also (or you could tap the radio harness). There is a way to get the gauges to dim with the dimmer switch (tapping both the illum. and ground off of the dimmer), but it results in an inaccurate ground and messing with the gauge readings (at least when I did it). Hope this helps.
Old May 10, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

syrihl, thanks for the help... I like the idea of using the ad-a-fuse so I won't have to tap anything else. White is already taped for the boost gauge. I think I will use your approach.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

This is indeed what I used and it worked great.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did mine slightly different but that way seems like it would b better just for refrence i grounded mine right inside that pop open door on the drivers side dash and just hooked the illumination to the lights so they are full on when lights are and ground and orange and red to the radio spots....
Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thegame
syrihl, thanks for the help... I like the idea of using the ad-a-fuse so I won't have to tap anything else. White is already taped for the boost gauge. I think I will use your approach.
One thing to watch for when using the add-a-fuse. Find which side of the open fuse slot has the power source with the fuse out, and plug the add-a-fuse in with the wire on the opposite end. If you install it backwards, your added accessory will not be fused, and your original fused circuit will be run through both fuses in the block in parrallel (adding the value of the two fuses together). Also your original fuse goes closest to the fuse box and added circuits fuse furthest away.