Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

It's hard to install in dash Mobile Video player(cd, dvd, flip-out screen)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question It's hard to install in dash Mobile Video player(cd, dvd, flip-out screen)?

I want to get one. but installation can be big $$$. Best Buy said $220 for an installation. I want to do it myself. It's hard to do install? Need advice PLEASE!!!

And if I get the tv tuner. Can I watch tv anytime(like when driving)? Is tv tuner just basic tv or it's cable? Need advice PLEASE!!!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

i work at circuit city and we charge 150.00
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by lilman8403
i work at circuit city and we charge 150.00

It's hard to install?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

It's not hard to install as long as you installed any car audio equipment in your car before if you need any help once you get it pm me, and if you ground the wire that goes to your e-brake sensor then you will be able to watch movies and tv when your driving otherwise some flipouts have a block ont hem that wont let you operate video features while the car is moving, the new Avic N2 from pioneer, which is also a navigation system has a block that you cant override in any way it senses the vehicles speed, and that the car is in motion and wont let you play dvds etc.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Smokin Lancer
I want to get one. but installation can be big $$$. Best Buy said $220 for an installation. I want to do it myself. It's hard to do install? Need advice PLEASE!!!

And if I get the tv tuner. Can I watch tv anytime(like when driving)? Is tv tuner just basic tv or it's cable? Need advice PLEASE!!!
Its funny that you ask this question. I just installed a DVD flip screen unit on my car. Like you I was worry about the install but paying big bucks and letting some inexperience kid work on my car turned me off. It took total of 5 hours, I bought a radio wire harness connector kit from Best Buy. I took my time soldering each wire. Took my time taking off the glove box, center consol, and rear seats for perfect installation. It made the job super easy.

I bought the cheapest DVD/TV flip screen in the market, Jensen 9510, sound and quality is very good. As for TV tuner, the reception is spotty at best because the car is constantly moving and the antenna is not strong enough to hold the signal. As for driving and watching TV, that's illegal in some states. So the manufacturer wants you to connect one wire to the hand brake. When the brake is up TV and DVD will work, when it is down only the radio works. You can bypass this by grounding that wire.

The entire installation was easy but one small issue. The OEM radio was mounted with a tilt. This tilt is OK for playing CDs and Radio but for a flip screen DVD player, its bad. After the install, the unit was tilted therefore the DVD screen is tilted. You need to find a DVD flip screen that can tilt forward and backward. Also, there was no room behind the back of the unit to secure the unit nor level the unit flat. I used the four existing OEM radio screws and bracket to mount my DVD flip screen. It works but the radio is sticking out 0.75".

Overall, I am satisfy with my install and it was cheap and only 5 hours. Good luck.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:15 AM

the store FRYS here only charge 30 bucks, and there prises are almost half sometimes
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also work at circuit city and we have free install on all radio/dvd indash monitors right now...come down to hagerstown
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I dont reccomend watching TV and driving simutaneously!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not.......j/k
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:32 PM

I used the radio relocation kit and mounted it on the bottom. It doesnt have that tilt problem. It blocks the HVAC controls but you can still adjust them somewhat without closing the screen. I thought it was better than covering the actual air vents...