Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Need Help installing 7" Overhead DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help installing 7" Overhead DVD Player

Hi all,
I have recently bought an Audiovox VOD715 player and tried to hook it up by myself. First I have taken the centre dome light off and found two wires which were originally connected to dome lights. (Black wire, and Black wire with white stripe on)

I had three wires for my unit ('Red', 'Yellow' and 'Black'). I believe 'Red' is for 12V Constant, 'Yellow' for inbuilt dome light in the player, and 'Black' for ground.

As there was two wires in the roof as I already mentioned, I have tapped 'Red' and 'Yellow' together to black wire and 'Black' wire to the remaing wire which has white stripe on.

It seemed to work fine so I have screwed all the parts back in and used the player next day and realised it only turns on when the door is OPEN!! (I have installed it with doors open,,,, )

So,,, here are my questions,,, some of them might be silly Q's but I'm a dummy in wiring so please answer all if it's possible. Thnx!

1) Do I have to install the device with the - terminal of the battery taken off? I just hooked it up without turning the battery off as I thought it wouldn't do any harm to the player.

2) When the wires are connected to wrong wires, would it damage the player? Or would it simply not power up?

3) If I need a constant power from the fuse box, how can I locate the wire in the fuse box? (I don't have a voltmetre,,)

4) If connecting to radio wire is easier, how can I locate the radio wire?

4) Can I just ground my 'Black' wire to the metal part of the roof?

5) If I have to get a constant power from the fuse box, can I just run the Red wire to the A pillar to the fuse box and keep the Black and Yellow wire connected to the dome light wires? Or do I need to run all three wires down to the fuse box?

Your help will be really appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Yellow wire = constant power
red = switched
black= ground

ground it right to the roof. the other wires i would run up and either tap behind the radio or run it straight to the ignition harness. I think there constant power is white and switched is white/w black stripe make sure you fuse your connection. dont tap at fuse box by far the ****tiest way to hook something up

As for the domelight more than likely its a negative trigger domelight u will need to read in the manual it will tell u what the wires for domelight need to go to. hope that helps some
Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Yellow wire = constant power
red = switched
black= ground

ground it right to the roof. the other wires i would run up and either tap behind the radio or run it straight to the ignition harness. I think there constant power is white and switched is white/w black stripe make sure you fuse your connection. dont tap at fuse box by far the ****tiest way to hook something up

As for the domelight more than likely its a negative trigger domelight u will need to read in the manual it will tell u what the wires for domelight need to go to. hope that helps some
Thanks for the reply
But what do you mean by fusing the connection? Does that mean join the red and yellow wires together and tap it to Radio wire? (BTW, where is radio wire?)
And isn't the red constant? I thought red wire was the 12V constant,,
It's more likely you're right but I justed wanted to be clear
Hope I get more feedback before I start my install process again-

And can someone be kind enough to answer all the questions that I listed even if it seems silly to you? Thanks alot.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Im an installer. All mobile electronics use yellow as constant, red as switched. By fusing I mean make sure that there is a fuse holder in the power wire so that if something goes wrong the fuse will blow. If you remove your radio you get your power connections from the connection at the radio. your constant wire will be red/black , switched will be blue/yellow. IF you dont want to hook up power there pull the under dash off under the steering wheel. The main harness coming from the key cylinder you will find after cutting the black tape back... a Fat white wire which is constant, and then black/white will be switched. how are you going to get your sound to play through your radio? IF you havent ever mounted one of these i would honestly take it somewhere i have seen people screw through the roof.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoostWhore
you remove your radio you get your power connections from the connection at the radio. your constant wire will be red/black , switched will be blue/yellow.
Thanks so much for your quick response
I have a wireless headset so I don't need to play through the speaker system.

Just one thing, I now understand the yellow is constant in the DVD player,, but when I read your reply you said constant wire in the 'radio' is red and switched is yellow,,,
So do you suggest me to connect yellow with red and red with yellow wire? Or did you mistakenly wrote it wrong way around?

Cheers.