Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

SLOTTED ROTORS! Which way do they go!?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Question SLOTTED ROTORS! Which way do they go!?

when i ordered my brembos they came with a diagram showing the rotation one way.(with the slots rotating inward toward the hub) i have noticed that some people have them the other way(slots rotating toward the outter portion.)

every picture of a slotted rotor on a car i notice is different. not eveyone is putting them on with the rotation the same way.

is there a correct way!?

i went with what brembo told me to do, but you would think you would want them the other way to pull eat away from the center. if anyone can help me out here, i would appreciate it!
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Check out my Brembos... ( https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/....php?mid=19926 ). Front is to the left <-----.
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpdevo31
when i ordered my brembos they came with a diagram showing the rotation one way.(with the slots rotating inward toward the hub) i have noticed that some people have them the other way(slots rotating toward the outter portion.)

every picture of a slotted rotor on a car i notice is different. not eveyone is putting them on with the rotation the same way.

is there a correct way!?

i went with what brembo told me to do, but you would think you would want them the other way to pull eat away from the center. if anyone can help me out here, i would appreciate it!
I would follow the recommendations that Brembo has supplied you regarding the orientation of the slots. Every rotor is different and I've seen the slots both ways as well.
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:41 AM
ez
Evolving Member

is there a correct way!?
Yes. The way the manufacturer recommends is correct. When engineers design parts, they provide technical docs pertaining to the proper use. Those are passed on to you in the form of instructions.

Aside from optimal performance, one advantage is that following the maker's instructions will ensure a better response to a warranty claim.
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:43 AM

is there a correct way!?

Slots don't pull heat

They de glaze the pads - leave an exit path for dust and crap - thats about it

they are supposed to 'cut in' to the pad at a sharp angle as the Brembo instructions indicate
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

the slots aren't really the thing you should be looking at.
it's the direction of the cooling vanes between the rotor surfaces that matter.
they need to pull air through the rotor from inside to outside.
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 10:57 AM
ez
Evolving Member

...and let's hope for his sake that Brembo was smart enough to recommend the proper direction...

Originally Posted by smack_evo
the slots aren't really the thing you should be looking at.
it's the direction of the cooling vanes between the rotor surfaces that matter.
they need to pull air through the rotor from inside to outside.
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 11:02 AM

The brembo rotors have pillar style vanes - not directional - so in this case the only thing to consider is the slotting

And if you like them 'backwards' you can install them that way in this case - there is no huge drawback to having the slots backwards -maybe some pad smearing should you really be hard on the brakes becauyse the cut angle is incorrect

A curved vane rotor IS a different story - put them on backwards and the airflow through the rotor will be less
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by naucrx
I would follow the recommendations that Brembo has supplied you regarding the orientation of the slots. Every rotor is different and I've seen the slots both ways as well.
I would definitly go with what the manufacturer says, because they are the ones that designed it and only they know the best functionality of the product....
Old Nov 18, 2005 | 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have PF rotors that are slotted and with direction vanes, so correct mounting makes a difference. But I would follow the enclose directions simply, as stated above, if something goes wrong, it'd be a quick out for any warranty claim through Brembo. Here's a pic of mine. The front of the car is --->

(no making fun of my Brownbo's)