Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Anyone Install a U-Haul Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Install a U-Haul Hitch?

Anyone here ever install the U-Haul hitch for the Evo? I have one, and it looks as if it doesn't fit at all. The part numbers match, but the topmost part of the hitch that is supposed to touch the bumper support, doesn't even come close, and it doesn't slide foward enough to fit as it is supposed to on the tow hook? Just looking for some pointers from anyone that has done this before.

Also, everyone else, before you go on about how the Evo isn't supposed to tow (it can, but not much), I will be towing a 4X4 trailer for autox tires and a shifter kart. Relax, it is well within it's limits.

Devin
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

The hitch you have is for the base lancer....they DO NOT have a hitch for the Evo which has a taller bumper and a different rear support. I have looked into this as far as Corporate U-Haul and they do not make one. You're best bet is to go to a custom welding shop and have someone build one for you. And there are a few people on here who have custom hitches installed and tow spare tires and even motorcycles.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I just went by the store. The have it incorrectly listed on their website, which I'm going to send them an email about tonight. Probably going to head to a cutsom welding shop like you said, thanks.

Devin
Old Dec 19, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

just so you know, in the owners manual it states that you shouldnt tow anything with the evo. something might want to look into. I read on here that there were dealerships that were sending out letters stating there was a recall on the tow bracket on the evo to get people to bring their cars in for them to "check then void" warranties.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

give Vishnu a call they had one on the red evo.