Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: Orange Radio and HVAC lights (cheap and easy, lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NorCal Lancer
may i ask how you take out the bulbs behind the HVAC? is there any secret technique? i try pulling them out but im too scared that it might break, plus its kind of hard to do that cuz the bulb is so tiny
make sure you take off the clear plastic thingy first. then the bulbs should just pull right out w/o using too much force.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

on second thought, I just pulled apart the dash, and realized that those bulbs twist out from behind. it's easier to paint those in place, or you need 2 needle nose pliers to pull the board forward.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just used an orange sharpie, and it worked out ok. Had to wait for the ink to dry though. Put a few lines in using a red sharpie to make it darker looking.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the answer to the radio issue, i just did mine and i can't get to the LCD bulbs on the radio. I have a 03, the original person who posted the right up has a SSL so it has the infinity radio, that is why its different. i'm not going to finish the lcd because it's too much work for all that i will have a new radio soon anyway. Other then that the whole process was very easy and i just have to finish some minor details for the interior.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SicLanEvo
I have the answer to the radio issue, i just did mine and i can't get to the LCD bulbs on the radio. I have a 03, the original person who posted the right up has a SSL so it has the infinity radio, that is why its different. i'm not going to finish the lcd because it's too much work for all that i will have a new radio soon anyway. Other then that the whole process was very easy and i just have to finish some minor details for the interior.
sorry.. I might look around to see if someone has a non-ssl radio for me to tinker w/.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Performed this over the winter. Works extremely well! Great write up and pictures!

Murph
Old May 27, 2009, 06:25 PM

I am also having troubles removing the bulbs from the HVAC. I tried pulling straight off but that didn't work, then I tried twisting them off but they are pretty firmly secured. I don't wanna break em n go through the trouble of replacing them, but I also don't want to paint them while they are in place.

Any advice?

Also anyone blued or purpled out all their interior lights? I think I want to go with a purple just for something different, but not sure if I should paint it or go with a purp sharpie or paint maker.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:38 AM

ok looks like thread is somewhat dead but I'll post just for the sake of anyone just visiting this.

Using an earlier suggestion I was able to remove the tiny bulbs behind the havoc by applying duct tape to the bulb and then pulling them off with needle-nose pliers. Anyways, still trying to decide on what color theme I'm going to go with for the inside....Might just buy some Leds to fit in the old wedge bulbs place.....

Using the search n trying to find the right bulb size, if anyone happens to know off the top shoot me a PM, it would be much appreciated....Heard somewhere they might be #74's gotta confirm that tho.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:53 AM

filter?

Do you have to paint the color of the lights? I was wondering if you could just put a clear piece of colored filter (like what halloween strobe lights use sometimes) and put it in between the lights and the interior panel. I heard of someone saying that you can paint the transparent part on the back of the panels, and I also heard that the filter paper is the way to change the color for the clock.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 07:03 PM

heat isnt an issue for the paint?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

i did this a year ago then the paint faded =/ so i just cleaned off the bulbs and went back to stock color lol
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:02 AM
rrd
Evolving Member

did this tonight, looks great, thanks for the tutorial!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Great write up. However the pics are not coming up. Anyone have the pics to re-post up?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by greatgonzer
Great write up. However the pics are not coming up. Anyone have the pics to re-post up?
Pictures came up for me. Sounds like it's on your side
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted-
Pictures came up for me. Sounds like it's on your side
You are right. I just checked them out again and they did come up this time. Hmm anyway nice writeup! I was looking for the Key ring replacement proceedure and this should work perfectly. Thanks

Quick Reply: How To: Orange Radio and HVAC lights (cheap and easy, lots of pics)