Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Cruise (I hope!)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Lightbulb Cruise (I hope!)

Several years ago I purchased a SCS/Frigette 4342 cruise control (a box of parts) for my Evo 8. I got stumped looking for a place to mount the servo. I was also stumped for a way to connect the cruise pull cable to the throttle. So I put the project aside. A couple of days ago, in the General Forum, I came across a thread where someone had had cruise installed. All of a sudden I wanted cruise control. So, out came the box of parts.

I found a place for the servo. The servo is big and about every likely spot for it is already occupied by something under the Evo hood. The box of parts included an "L" shaped bracket. I removed the rubber boot from the strut bar and attached the short end of the bracket across the top of the strut bar with the long end going down behind the bar. The servo mounts next to the master cylinder pointing toward the passenger strut tower. So, one problem down.

The second problem was connecting the pull cable to the throttle. The throttle bellcrank is made of some sort of thermo plastic and there is no room for a loop around the throttle cable termination. Also, the bellcrank is pressed onto the throttle shaft so there is no way to attach a separate arm for the cruise. In other words, no nut on the end of the shaft.

At a hobby shop I found a little clamp. It is used for RC aircraft cables. Using this I clamped the accelerator cable to the cruise pull cable. Then I clamped the two cable housings together. This so there would be no movement of the cable sheath at the throttle end.

Finally, I went for a short drive to make sure nothing was binding, that the throttle still worked the same. It does.

Tomorrow, the wiring.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:17 PM
MER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How'd this turn out???