Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: Protect Your Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this idea, keeps stuff nice and clean and I also agree that the cleaned/protected intercooler for the very minimal change in airflow is worth it over a busted or plugged IC.
Nice write up!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

this i don't get. the bugs are still going to get into your intercooler and rocks will still get stuck in your fins.

the rocks and bugs are hitting your car at 50+ mph or faster, it'll go through that screen with ease.

but now you have a screen that you have to deal with instead of using a narrow stick to take them out or pressure washing them.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good....good job sir!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:44 PM

it sounds like a good idea but yea your are reducing your air flow i would just stick with the stock one till it gets worn out then just upgrade it to a better one
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badhabit90
you seem like i just put a piece of cardboard infront of my intercooler and called it good?!?!??! i will agree with you on the poorly designed intercoolers. internal i do believe is what is going to cause the "airflow" to be poor. the "heat exchange" is also going to be effected.

i dont think this will affect my gas milage by keeping my TSTAT open longer to cool things down. remember that the Evo runs rich in the morning to warm things up when they are cold...that is when the TSTAT is closed. i gained more HP when my Mustang was in closed loop. when it was in open loop, it would give more fuel to try to warm things up faster. it ran better at the track also. this is a fully built track car.

i also agree with NOT painting your IC because you will ruin the "heat exchange" efficiency of the intercooler to the open airflow. the BEST way is to get your IC anodized as this actually penatrates the aluminum for better conductivity for heat exchange.

if you dont agree with doing this, then dont do it. simple eh?? if it helps protect my intercooler for 50,000 miles at the expense of the external flow of 2cfm, then it is worth it.
Simple enough for me, I'm not trying to tell anyone how their car should be, I was saying I wouldn't do this. You are welcome to do whatever you want to your car . It would be pretty simple to measure the difference in airflow here, especially if somebody had access to a wind tunnel (for a science class or something).

The flow problem with that intercooler was poor inside AND out. It forced an extra 400rpm of spool on my T04e 57 trim... we didn't find that out until after the car started suddenly overheating during the late spring (in IL, kit got installed middle of winter). The car would actually be fine in stop and go traffic, but for the hour or so of 60mph driving I was doing the temperature would eventually creep up because even with 60+mph headwind and both fans on high the car just couldn't pull enough air through the radiator.

As far as the TSTAT thing, I saw a personal 2mpg gain from repairing one that was stuck open. It was early fall and the car would warm up fine.

If it makes your life happier, then go for it. I'm just trying to present my personal experience for everyone's gain.

(we should have a smiley for putting out flames on a flame war)
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

nah, no flame war taken...

thank you for your input. yes it would be interesting if one could access a wind tunnel to see the differences. although they may be minute, there would be differences. like i said before, i would gladly trade 2-3cfm for a non plugged up intercooler. just look at the bugs on the stock intercooler...
Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:02 PM

I like it. Good job.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:33 PM

store for purchase

where did you find the mesh for this mod. I can't find any thing wide enough to cover intercooler.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:34 PM

the finished product looks fantastic
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by alan2012
where did you find the mesh for this mod. I can't find any thing wide enough to cover intercooler.
home depot in the screen door section. the aluminum screen mesh is better than the nylon mesh. it doesnt restrict the air flow(as much) they come in different widths and lengths.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:09 AM

I know..This is a huuuuuuuge bump..but.

does anyone know if it's a bad thing to replace the stock mesh in front of the intercooler with this finer aluminum? I'm gonna assume that the finer mesh is going to be more of a shield and restrict air..but I'm just wondering what you guys have to say about the stock mesh.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah - I see what you're saying.

It would appear to me that putting some fine mesh on the intercooler would be the same thing as putting the mesh over the opening in front of the intercooler.

However - I really do have to think that it would decrease the airflow some.

I guess one way to measure the difference would be to put a thermometer in the intake pipe between the intercooler and the throttle body. Then measure air temperatures without the screen and then with the screen and note any differences.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
It would appear to me that putting some fine mesh on the intercooler would be the same thing as putting the mesh over the opening in front of the intercooler.

However - I really do have to think that it would decrease the airflow some.
the difference in airflow from 4-6 inches away are different than directly on the intercooler. the air is disrupted BEFORE it hits the face of the intercooler reducing flow. if the mesh is directly ON the intercooler, it isnt disrupted at the fins with the most airflow and pressure is at and not before it.

i would not suggest putting mesh on the factory "mesh". yes this will reduce airflow to go around the face of the car. this is also affected by the size of the mesh too...if it is directly on the intercooler, it provides the most pressure to go through the intercooler instead of around the front of the car.

i hope that made sense....
try this, its crude, but it may show you...

okay, take a screen and hold it up about 6 inches away from your hand. take a water hose and have someone spray you with the hose. take note of the pressure the water hitting your hand. its disrupted and its energy or "flow" at this point is not much getting to your hand because of the disruption....follow me??

now take that same screen and hold it directly against your hand. have that person spray you with water again. feel the pressure difference?? it may be slight, but it is there. the water has virtually no time for the disruption when it hits your hand.