Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Relocate The Sports Meter Kit/Replace Factory Stereo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2003, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity (great details btw, thx!) is that a 1.5din HU?
Old Sep 10, 2003, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Temp Sensor & Gauge Colors Don't Match

What tool do you use with a torque wrench for the Mitsubishi oil temp sensor given that the wire shown below cannot be removed from the sensor?

Also my gauge package has blue back lighting for the volt and oil gauges, while green back lighting for the boost gauge. Is this normal?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Temp Sensor & Gauge Colors Don't Match

Originally posted by strat
What tool do you use with a torque wrench for the Mitsubishi oil temp sensor given that the wire shown below cannot be removed from the sensor?
i would use a brakeline wrench to install/remove that sensor. you can usually guess close enough what the torque is.

tom@kartboy.com

Last edited by tom@kartboy; Sep 11, 2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Temp Sensor & Gauge Colors Don't Match

Originally posted by tom@kartboy

i would use a brakeline wrench to install/remove that sensor. you can usually guess close enough what the torque is.

tom@kartboy.com
Slotted a 19mm deep 6pt socket tonight. The result is similar to an 02 socket. No problem getting the proper torque.

A comment on the gauge back lighting. The lighting is on full and cannot be controlled by the dimmer control on the dash. This is because the dimmer assumes that the lighting is referenced to +12V (battery). The dimmer controls the ground connection.

The sport gauge kit on the other hand has one side of the backlight bulb connected to the ground for the meter. The other side of the bulb is the gauge's light connection. Thus the gauge is not compatible with the Evo's means of adjusting brightness. (Just hooking up the meter to the dimmer output causes the gauges to be bright when the dash is dim, etc.)

What Mitsubishi did was to connect the gauge backlight power to the car's tail light power! Thus when ever the tail lights are on, so are your gauges. At full brightness.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious means of making the gauges dim with the balance of the dash, unless one modifies the gauge internals.

Last edited by strat; Sep 14, 2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Excellent post! I managed to complete the swap in about 20 minutes with the help of your writeup! Thank you.

A couple of side notes...... I had to go to my local AutoZone and buy a vacuum hose (about 6 inches) because my dealer didn't leave enough vacuum hose length for the move. It was actually pretty short.

Also, be sure to cover your center console with a rag or something to ensure you don't scratch it..... The metal edges on the gauge cluster are pretty sharp....
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Is the backlighting of the gauges green and blue? Also are they 45mm gauges. I was thinking of just getting the cubby replacement, din gauge holder and omroni gauges that match the i/p cluster red on black.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Peazoo
Is the backlighting of the gauges green and blue? Also are they 45mm gauges. I was thinking of just getting the cubby replacement, din gauge holder and omroni gauges that match the i/p cluster red on black.
Both and in reality they all look white given that they are on full and cannot be dimmed based upon the wiring in the car.