Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Tuning the Profec B spec II--simple version

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the highest i can put on a stock evo?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Dont run over 22lbs if your running high octane, if your running low octane like you indicated you have in armenia keep it at stock boost . Or you can turn it up and blow your motor. Might not happen today but i can gurantee tomorrow
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BadBoy818_818
how do u change the Kpa to PSI ?
turn it off. push the two buttons on the left. I'm pretty sure thats how to do it. I lost the manual a while back.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yellowevo82
Dont run over 22lbs if your running high octane, if your running low octane like you indicated you have in armenia keep it at stock boost . Or you can turn it up and blow your motor. Might not happen today but i can gurantee tomorrow
yellow evo rmeber im new at all this i dont even know how to use a EBC it has alot of things like spiking set boost gain all those i dont know what they are and how to set all those to get 22lb of boost and by me puting it as much as u say i should how much hp do i gain?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:48 PM

quick questions guys ,

why is it that i cant go above 20% on my warning limiter ,

and what is the negative side of having gain set too high? cause i have like set at 35% and gain at 34% , consistent 12psi boost on all gears. and my start boost is at 11psi , am getting a spike to 12.2psi .

just wondering cause i seen most of u guys are using 8% only on gain.

thanks a bunch.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Guys I need help.
My boost is dropping off from 20PSI to about 15PSI.

Here are my settings:

GAIN: 15%
Start Boost: 0.80BAR
SET: 73%
Warning 1.65BAR

Any recommendations? It is an Evo III.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

so how much money am i going to have to spend on gas to get it set just about right ?lol
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

what does WOT mean?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by l EVO n
what does WOT mean?
wide open throttle
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolutionninemr
wide open throttle
thnx
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

My recommendation is to scrap the unit and buy a forge manual controller. I replaced my Greddy EBC and it's a night and day difference. Gained almost 3 additional psi just by switching over
Old May 15, 2009, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

I have an Evo 8 and i'm tuned for 24 psi. I had it locked at 22psi when I was tuned for it. Been a bit of an uphill batle trying to get it to stay at 24psi.

My settings are:

set: 68
start boost: 20
gain: 6
limiter: .4
warning: 250

Takes a bit to get it right. Any ideas?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks to the OP for this thread.

I wanted to add my settings for those of you running high boost, and possibly at high altitude - not sure if that affects things or not, but I thought I'd mentioning that I'm at over 5,000 feet.

My car setup (IX):

Vibrant cone filter & MAF adapter/Samco intake tube
Cosworth cams
Megan O2 housing/downpipe
3" test pipe and exhaust
stock IX turbo on E85
Walbro pump, Agency fuel rail & 1,000cc injectors
FP 18 psi wastegate actuator

My current Profec B SpecII settings:

"set" = 100%
"gain" = 5%
"start boost" = 32.5 psi
"warning" = 33.0 psi
"limiter" = 4%

This allows me to hit a peak of between 31.5 to 33 psi in 4th and 5th gear... in third gear, max boost is only around 28-29 psi, and in first and second, I get about 24 psi at the most. There is significant taper in all gears except 5th.

Keep in mind this isn't the Profec's fault; it's the thin air we have up here, as well the fact that I'm pushing the stock turbo so hard. I've used three manual boost controllers before the Greddy EBC, and they all had the same basic spike/taper characteristics.

The big mistake I made when trying to set up the Profec on my Evo was setting the GAIN at 15% to start. Then, when the boost levels weren't high enough, I kept increasing the gain, all the way to the max (35%).

According to Greddy's directions, the GAIN is used "to adjust boost consistency - adjusts the sensitivity of the valve control." However, the Greddy manual also states:
  • "when boost spike occurs, lower the GAIN value"
  • "when the boost falls off at high rpm... raise the GAIN value"
  • "even if the SET boost is not changed, by increasing the GAIN value, it will increase the boost."

I interpreted those statements to mean that if I should use a HIGHER gain setting to make more boost. Well, with the gain up too high, even with the "boost set" function set at maximum (100%) I couldn't get more than 27-28 psi in any gear. Even worse, the boost response was laggy, and the boost itself seemed to hesitate and "stairstep" its way up to 28 psi. Horrible.

Since settling on the settings above that I'm happy with, I've tried gradually increasing the GAIN setting to 6% and 7%, but I think the boost still ramps up faster by using the minimum 5% GAIN setting.

I will probably be getting either the Forge wastegate with the red 19-24 psi spring:

http://www.maperformance.com/forge-a...or-evo-ix.html
http://www.maperformance.com/forge-v...uning-kit.html

- or the FP wastegate with a 25 psi spring:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Lancer-TurboHW

Hopefully a stronger wastegate spring will help me hold boost better in all of the gears. Remember, it's the physical spring of the wastegate that actually keeps the flapper door shut so boost can build - if the spring isn't strong enough to contain the boost level you want, no boost controller is going to be able to "fix" that problem - all any boost controller does is interrupt/delay the boost signal to the wastegate.

Another thing: I noticed that the peak boost indicated by the ProfecB SpecII are consistently a little higher than what my Autometer 4703 gauge indicates - and they've tapped into the same line off the intake manifold. For example, when I see a peak of 27-28 psi on the Autometer, the Greddy will typically report a max boost of 29-30 psi.

Also, if you're having issues with inconsistent or low boost, make sure to take the time to do a boost leak check. Once you start raising boost over the factory levels, air can start leaking out everywhere - IC couplings, throttle body seals, your vacuum line to your boost gauge. You might have even blown off one of the vacuum lines on the EGR thing on the backside of the intake manifold (driver's side).

All you need is a compressor, an automotive tire valve and less than five bucks worth of plumbing parts from Home Depot or Lowe's. Here's mine... it's worth its weight in gold for finding boost leaks:

Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:21 AM
JRR
Evolved Member

nice write up thanks. i have a question tho. im runnin an 03 Lancer oz rally that i Turboed and just bought one of these boost controllers from a guy here on the forums. maybe someone here can help me as well. thanks in advance. josh

here are my settings:

low:
set 50%
gain 5%
set gain 20
warning 70
warning limiter 10%

hi:
set 100%
gain 5%
set gain 40
warning 75
warning limiter 10%

i have a tial external wastegate with a 7psi spring. my top boost was 10.8 psi.

i think i need to adjust a few things. i want my low to be about 4-5 psi and high to be like 8 or so. that way i can change from fuel economy to race mode.

i also noticed that when on low boost it starts "clicking" at about 2 psi or so. is this normal or something not hooked up right? i does not do it on the high setting.

josh

any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Tuning the Profec B spec II--simple version