Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

WRX WALBRO fuel pump install into EVO - easy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick tech question,

easy install ? I have not looked but isn't the fuel pump in the gas tank ? I know alot are, and I remember the hell we went through trying to upgrade the one in a 3000GT VR4.

Bloody agony
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bryans2k

Big Al, what you fail to realize is this is a "How To" forum, not a give advice forum... If you want to give advice than post it in the General forum. This thread should really be moved...

bryan
How to ?? I answered that in the first post above - it just BOLTS in like stock - NO modifications needed - thats the how to part!
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
so big al... if my car producin 300 + awhp i should upgrade fuel pump??
I would. Its not needed - but like I said before - I rather have the fuel pressure stay contsant accross the rev range than tune by adding fuel with a injector map. The injectors are getting to a heavy duty cycle as you get above 300 whp anyway
Old Jul 14, 2003, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
How to ?? I answered that in the first post above - it just BOLTS in like stock - NO modifications needed - thats the how to part!
Ha-ha, that is great but you are missing the whole point of the "How To" part... "How To’s" generally include detailed instructions/pictures of the entire procedure... Meaning they are instructions on "How To" do something and I'll say it again, this thread should really be moved to general... I don't know what the moderators are thinking leaving it here...

bryan

Last edited by bryans2k; Jul 14, 2003 at 05:16 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Well, given Al's comments, I have decided to make a small set of photos during a fuel pump install I did so I can vouch that it is fairly easy. I will have an html page on my site soon to cover any less experienced guys wanting to do it themselves. Don't be afraid to do this; it is one of the easiest installs I've done.

1. The pump is under the rear seat; the seat pops right up with two "pull tab" clips at the front.
2. The pump is under the driver's side access panel.
3. Make sure the battery is disconnected and has been sitting for a while to bleed off fuel pressure. Open all doors and work in a well-lit and ventilated area.
4. Remove the connectors; having plenty of towels in hand. The plastic connectors should come off with a squeeze; do not pry at them with tools.
5. Unscrew the retaining plate and slowly wiggle the plate and the pump assembly out; this takes some patience. Be careful of the fuel level float. Set the pump on a table with plenty of towels underneath.
5. The bottom of the assembly is a white clip-on piece. Pull that off with a few carefully placed prys from a flat blade screwdriver.
6. Disconnect the power connector to the fuel pump (you have to reach around a few things to get it off).
7. Pull the pump down out of the assembly.
8. Remove the pump screen from the old pump and place onto the new pump. It will require a flat-blade to carefully pry it off with the retaining clip intact; just be patient. Pry on the plastic of the screen; not just the retaining clip. Again, take your time and work around it to avoid bending it. Use a small socket (~6mm) to push the screen and clip onto the new pump with uniform pressure so as to not break the clip.
9. Move the pump output connector clip from the old pump to the new one.
10. Slide the pump up into the assembly enough to clip the power connector back on.
11. Push the pump all the way in; it will make a "click" sound.
12. Rotate the pump around to the exact way the original was installed.
13. Snap the white plastic bottom back on; holding the pump in place.
14. Reinstall into the tank; be sure not to bend the fuel level float. It will take some wiggling and patience to get it on with the retaining plate. Make sure your connectors are out of the way in the proper place before putting the assembly down in place or you will have to take it back out. The electrical connector is easiest to hold up and out of the way while the fuel lines can be pushed down and off to the side.
15. Redo all connections and clean up all spilled fuel.
16. Allow the car to sit for a little while with the doors still open to evaporate fuel and air out the fumes.
17. Start the car while the access panel is still off to inspect for any leaks or problems.
18. If everything is OK, reinstall everything and have fun.

I have my rear stripped out (for several reasons) and usually can't even hear the pump. I don't think it's louder than the original one.

Again, check the site soon for an html page with photos on this install.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Jul 14, 2003, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

see... now that is a "How To"... taking off the gas cap helps to remove pressure in the fuel system too...

bryan

Last edited by bryans2k; Jul 14, 2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Good point. You can also start the car once you've pulled the access panel off and unplug the pump to let the car die to speed up the process.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Oct 23, 2004, 07:15 AM

I think you burnt him Mark