Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Taking apart the dashboard....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking apart the dashboard....

Ok, I had enough of all the rattling my dashboard makes. I been in quite a few Evos and none of them come close to makeing as much noise at my does. Mayority of the noise comes from the top of the dash piece hitting the dashboard "support".

Has anyone ever taken the top of the dashboard out? How difficult is it? Where to start? Tips? etc.

Any help would be appriciated.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Starting next week I'm on vacation and I have a heater blend door waiting on my workbench. To install the door the dash has to come out. Two weeks from now I should be able to provide a blow by blow account.

I got a copy of the service manual on CD from Ebay. You might want to do the same.

Last edited by barneyb; Apr 17, 2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
disconnect the battery 1st..haha
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Starting next week I'm on vacation and I have a heater blend door waiting on my workbench. To install the door the dash has to come out. Two weeks from now I should be able to provide a blow by blow account.

I got a copy of the service manual on CD from Ebay. You might want to do the same.
Nice, take some good pics of the process.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for some help.
BTW Barneyb, I got the service manual, and there is nothing that refers to the dash or anything like that (unless i'm missing it.)
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck! dont break anything. lol
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

start by taking the small stuff off. i.e. steering wheel,glove box,dash console(where the a/c n heat switches are).
stuff like that. never done it on my own car but on others cars(not an evo) but i can gurantee u its a PITA.

make sure u have a lot of ziplock bags to put ur screws in n label them so u dont have any extras left

have fun
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I've done it before. It's not too hard at all, and it's pretty intuitive how they put it all together.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, with the steering column off I could clearly see the side of the heater box where the levers are and could see why the knob sticks in the center. So, I was looking at the TSB and the levers they picture are different - a new design. I got and installed these new levers and while not super the heat knob is good enough. In other words, I never got it all apart.

By the way, putting the steering column back on is a trick I haven't mastered. With one hand you hold the column up, with the other you slide the shaft back on while with the third you squeeze the clamp open. I finally gave up and used a worm drive clamp.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

dont use a screw driver to wedge thing out try using a platic shank..to wedge it out..so wont wont scratch the dash....
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M5150
I've done it before. It's not too hard at all, and it's pretty intuitive how they put it all together.
Do tell...
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:32 PM

fyi, pulling apart the dash will often lead to more/new rattles
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I have had mine out 3 times and have no more rattles than I started with.

You don't have to pull the steering wheel.

It is intuative. Once you have all the trim panels off the dash has several 10mm bolts holding it on and the whole thing comes out. The hardest two to see are the two holding the pass side airbag mount down. One is up and behind the ECU and you need an extension and a swivel to get to it. The others are all in plain site.

I can get it all out in 10-15 min now. I think the first time will take about 30 minutes or so.

see it all comes out:

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostEEd
I have had mine out 3 times and have no more rattles than I started with.

You don't have to pull the steering wheel.

It is intuative. Once you have all the trim panels off the dash has several 10mm bolts holding it on and the whole thing comes out. The hardest two to see are the two holding the pass side airbag mount down. One is up and behind the ECU and you need an extension and a swivel to get to it. The others are all in plain site.

I can get it all out in 10-15 min now. I think the first time will take about 30 minutes or so.

see it all comes out:

WOW.... looks like alot of work for someone that never did that before. Next time I'm in Indy, I will just drop by your house and do it
Old Apr 25, 2007, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
WOW.... looks like alot of work for someone that never did that before. Next time I'm in Indy, I will just drop by your house and do it
haha. It looks harder than it is. The wires everywhere in that picture are cause I was installing my alarm.

Let me see if I can find a diagram that shows how it comes apart. I should have taken pics and done a writeup cause its really a one man job that only requires a socket and a screw driver.

Quick Reply: Taking apart the dashboard....