Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HID headlight adjust...03 evo8

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID headlight adjust...03 evo8

I have a 03 Evo 8. The factory HID's are adjustable (up/down) from inside the car. The problem is, at the "up" setting they need to come up just a tad more (by preference of course). Is there a manual adjustment to aim the headlights up a tad more than what the in car "dash dial" can produce?
Old May 29, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, if you look down around the back of the highbeam area, you'll see a black plastic 10mm hex head connected to a gear that is connected to a cable. you turn this geear which in turn adjusts the low beam/high beam at the same time. sometimes they seize though or the plastic gear will strip making your life difficult.
Old May 29, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search for headlight adjust... youll find about 30 pages on this topic with pics.. Use a 10mm socket on a 1/4 drive with a 3" extension.. not the "screwdriver" or "torx bit" method..

also adjust with the power to your lights OFF or you will strip out the plastic adjustment.. It takes alot of turning to make it move just a little. So be patient. If your looking at your windshield from in front of your car. Turn the bolt towards your right to aim them up.

Last edited by sikrsix; May 29, 2007 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Aug 6, 2024)
Old May 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sikrsix
also adjust with the power to your lights OFF or you will strip out the plastic adjustment..
mine didn't strip adjusting with the lights on.
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Aug 6, 2024)
Old May 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
+1 on search, if it's strips...you're going to have to take the light out and do it manually....i drove around with my lights uneven for about 1 year...adjusted them higher than standard, so my highest level basically has a bird blinding angle
Old Mar 3, 2008, 02:01 PM

This is for my 03, with HID, with height adjuster from the cabin.
I've read a bunch and the "noodle" method everyone refers to does not work so here's my own write up.
The low beam height adjuster is within the small plastic box that sits between the hi and low beam bulbs. To properly adjust follow some or all of the directions, depending on how lazy you feel.
Take a look at the back. the "cable" in this picture is tethered between the high and low beams adjusters, so you can simultaneously adjust height. This cable is junk. If you take it off and try and turn it, its pretty much stuck. its useless, throw it away. when you adjust the hight from your driver seat, it does not activate this anyway.
(and because of this reason, the noodle method does not work on cars equiped w/ this cable) I would suggest you don't try to adjust either beams without removing this cable, or at least make sure its free spinning. Someone in here decided to clean this cable thing. I tried for a minute and stopped cause i didn't see a reason to, i didn't think it was an advantage to be able to adjust them at the same time.
So here is what I did
remove bumper, removed headlight. removed the cables. removed the metal piece (where it says cut here) and hacksaw at that line, this will give you access to what you need to adjust the headlight.

To be able to adjust your headlight, you need to turn a gear inside here

if you're able to turn the small plastic hex (might be 5mm?) then you can adjust it that way too. I decided to hack that metal thing because some people in here said they stripped the small plastic hex, so I wanted a second source incase that happened.
I think, both method is accessible with the headlight installed on the car. But for sure the screw driver method is.
be make sure you use the right size screw driver. Its really picky with size. Watch the little hex thing, it should turn as you turn the screwdriver. If its not turning, then its not working.
here's what it looks like under the hood, once you hacked away the metal guard thing

Last edited by drive01; Mar 3, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Nice Post
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drive01
This is for my 03, with HID, with height adjuster from the cabin.
I've read a bunch and the "noodle" method everyone refers to does not work so here's my own write up.
The low beam height adjuster is within the small plastic box that sits between the hi and low beam bulbs. To properly adjust follow some or all of the directions, depending on how lazy you feel.
Take a look at the back. the "cable" in this picture is tethered between the high and low beams adjusters, so you can simultaneously adjust height. This cable is junk. If you take it off and try and turn it, its pretty much stuck. its useless, throw it away. when you adjust the hight from your driver seat, it does not activate this anyway.
(and because of this reason, the noodle method does not work on cars equiped w/ this cable) I would suggest you don't try to adjust either beams without removing this cable, or at least make sure its free spinning. Someone in here decided to clean this cable thing. I tried for a minute and stopped cause i didn't see a reason to, i didn't think it was an advantage to be able to adjust them at the same time.
So here is what I did
remove bumper, removed headlight. removed the cables. removed the metal piece (where it says cut here) and hacksaw at that line, this will give you access to what you need to adjust the headlight.

To be able to adjust your headlight, you need to turn a gear inside here

if you're able to turn the small plastic hex (might be 5mm?) then you can adjust it that way too. I decided to hack that metal thing because some people in here said they stripped the small plastic hex, so I wanted a second source incase that happened.
I think, both method is accessible with the headlight installed on the car. But for sure the screw driver method is.
be make sure you use the right size screw driver. Its really picky with size. Watch the little hex thing, it should turn as you turn the screwdriver. If its not turning, then its not working.
here's what it looks like under the hood, once you hacked away the metal guard thing
does this really work? i've always thought this is the right way, my light hit to low now i need to adjust it but i am scared that if i strip anything i'll be clueless.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

how many bolts is holding down the headlight?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
4 bolts holding headlight down. What I did the adjust headlight is turn the cable with a pair of pliers till it was at the correct level.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

i keep hearing different ways to adjust it. i don't know which to go with.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by drive01

This is a bit off topic, but what are the 2 lights all the way to the right in this picture. I know one is the turn signal and is the other the running light? Does anyone know the part numbers?

Thanks and sorry for the off topic message, but I thought someone might be able to help me!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

parkin lights
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your help. Would anyone happen to have the plastic plate that is shown on the back of the low beams or the connector for the low beam bulb? I bought a set of headlights that was missing this.

Thanks again!
Old May 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Kdash106
i keep hearing different ways to adjust it. i don't know which to go with.
Man you've got options... just try one and if it doesn't work try something else. In the past I tried that nonsense about "just turn the green sprocket" and I almost stripped it. However, today after reading this I figured I would try the screwdriver technique... you don't have to cut that one piece away you can just bend it back with a pair of pliers if you’re like me and don’t own a hacksaw. Anyway when I put the Phillips head in the screwdriver was turning but the 5mm hex bolt was not; then I tried to turn the next bolt with a socket wrench and I noticed the screwdriver wasn't turning. So just when I was about to give up I disconnected the cable that is held down by the two screws by the green sprocket shown in the picture above and I put a pair of pliers on it and turned clockwise... Viola! The lights came right up and doing it this way I didn't have to worry about throwing my high beam out of alignment.
I would however advise taking the front bumper off; you will be able to get to the cable on the passenger side just by moving the coolant reservoir but on the driver’s side you are going to have to drop the intercooler sprayer reservoir and it has 4 bolts holding it in place. The 10mm one is right on the side but the other three 12mm bolts you will have to remove the splash shield to get to; and if you have an ARP CF wind shield like me and you opt out of removing the bumper you will have to take the driver’s side wheel off and the splash shield in the wheel well to get those last three friggin bolts.

Last edited by tiggeryellow1; May 3, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: HID headlight adjust...03 evo8