Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY Ground Kit for $20

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF did u use to crimp a friggin 4 gauge cable??? I've bought everything I need to do the deal, and can't seem to find a suitable crimp tool...any suggestions????
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

I bought a tool from radioshack.... cost about 7 dollars.
Heavy duty crimper .. designed for hex crimp RG58/59/6 Coax cable.

and yes... 8 gauge would be plenty.
Wish i had put 8 gauge on my install... would have made it alot easier. And cheaper.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

I used a little hammer for the crimping. I used solder to secure the wires to the connectors.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thoe99
Can I just choose which bolts to bolt them onto, under the hood, so long as I have about 7 different grounding areas? Also, can 8 gauge wire do just as fine?
You need to ground specific locations: cylinder head, tranny, intake manifold, and chassis to the negative battery post. How can we attach images anywayz? I can show you my set-up.

STi
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

as said before 4gauge is overkill, but looks hella nice compared to 8! My friend got a little creative on his pontiac, he braided 3 strands of 10gauge wire together into I think an 8gauge ring terminal and grounded his car that way... looks a little odd, but he got the wire for free.. so I couldn't argue on that!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran

You need to ground specific locations: cylinder head, tranny, intake manifold, and chassis to the negative battery post. How can we attach images anywayz? I can show you my set-up.

STi
Here's a pic to show you how to attach a pic. You'd have to post a reply for each pic though, since they only allow one pic at a time.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Ground Kit for -attach.jpg  
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my 10lb hammer and give the 4 gauge ring terminal a hard welcome.

The result is very good.

Originally posted by camdog17
WTF did u use to crimp a friggin 4 gauge cable??? I've bought everything I need to do the deal, and can't seem to find a suitable crimp tool...any suggestions????
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I have a concern regarding the cables you buy from an audio shop to make the grounding kit. Can the plastic cover of the audio cable withstand the heat in the engine compartment and not melt? So for this, should we find grounding cable that has high heat tolerant instead of using audio cable?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:31 AM

I have silver 4 awg monster cable installed, and it has not even begun to discolor or melt. it will be just fine. If you are that concerned, wrap some electrical tape around areas that are near heat.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

You using audio cable for grounding cable? I think most of us use cable, from audio shop, specifically made to use as power or ground cable.

These cable can tolerant heat, moisure, and abuse.

BTW, any cable will melt if you expose it to high heat area such as exhaust manifold. Just route the cable properly and avoid direct contact to heat source.

My DIY ground cable kit is as good as the manufacturer one.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:02 AM

So, despite all the people who say they can feel the difference in their idle, is there some way to prove the benefits of a grounding kit (to the rest of us skeptics)? Would this show up on a dyno run (smoother curve)? Has anyone ever done a before and after dyno run for grounding kits to see if there's any change?

How about a blind a/b test? Do you think you could tell if someone removed the extra grounds?

Just curious.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Will anyone spend $100+ on dyno just to prove a $20 mod? Personally, I will not do that.

If I spending $600+ for an exhaust, I will not mind to spend the extra $100+ on dyno and find out how much extra HP I gained.

my $0.02
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I spend almost more than 2 weeks on my bare stock car. My first mod is ground cable. I can felt the differences after I install the my DIY ground cable.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

BWA HA HA HA, I got 10 ft 8 gauge wire for $10. I don't know why they sold it to me for so cheap. oh wells, yay for me! They didn't have gold connectors, so now I have to drive around sommore to find some.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:21 PM

What are the actual physics involved in grounding kits, I don't understand how adding more grounds could possible effect how the enging responds....i'm not saying it doesn't, but does anyone know how it is accomplished???

Quick Reply: DIY Ground Kit for $20