Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY Ground Kit for $20

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not have the EXACT Physics answers, but I have sum undergraduate EE guesses:

As the current is generated by the alternator, it is distributed to various parts of the car. In the engine where the ignition is, voltage is amplified to power the spark plugs (several thousand volts). Well, most of the engine(tranny included) is metal and conducts electricity. Liquids (oil,gas,coolant,etc) will conduct electricity will stray all his voltage/current everywhere, unless this voltage/current finds an easy way back to ground (high voltage to low voltage. Low voltage = common ground). All this stray voltage/current can be detected in your radio/amplifier and all the stray current running throughout your engine uses the power that could be delivered to other electrical components of your car. Also, rotating parts cause a lot of electric/magnetic conduction/generation, and the engine and tranny do rotate k's of RPMs. This ground kit will help GROUND all this excess/stray current and voltage. Power cannot be delivered to a part (ignition for instance) if it cannot take it or it does not have anywhere to go (if the engine/tranny is not properly grounded). This ground kit will ensure a HUGE conduction loop, hence, more power!!!

Less stray power = more ignition power
Less stray power = more headlight power
Less power surges = clearer radio reception/amplification

It is a very cheap mod, and mitsu offers it for around$160-$210, so go ahead and do it!!!

Hope this helps.

Flamers

STi

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; Aug 21, 2003 at 09:02 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:39 AM

You rule man, thanks for the clear explanation! I'm always interested in how things actually work....not just that everyone does it so it should be ok, Thanks Again.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

BadBoyBeltran, good post!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To all the skeptics out there thinking that this is a placebo mod, maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I can't speak for others who've said that they've noticed a smoother idle, more power, better mpg.etc.etc... I don't know maybe I'm not that sensitive I can't really feel any of those changes.

But I did notice that my headlights are much brighter than before. I can actually see the road in front of me now. Where before it was like "Are my lights even on?" That alone to me is worth the time and cost for this upgrade. my $.02
Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Also, we are using larger wires for the grounding kit. As long as you're using anything bigger than 16 gauges (smaller in number...) than you're helping the electronics of your car. When more current wants to pass through the wires, but the wires are thinner, then it meets with more resistance. If it meets with more resistance, then the current won't completely transfer through those wires, as was said before, some of the current will try to take another route (a small bit). With thicker (or more) wires, there's less resistance, so more of the current is sent to a safe ground. Plus, if your car is running a lot of current, it heats up your wires because of the resistance. If the wires get really hot, then the conduction gets worse. And it COULD (even though it wont... in this case) melt your wire coating, creating shorts and such. So it is safer & smoother for your car if you have thicker and less resistive wires (silver is ideal, but way too expensive and corrodes when electricity runs through it). Hope this helps.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Make me one in blue and I'll paypal you the money. FYI, I'm in Oklahomo so shipping it to Altus AFB shouldn't cost a lot of money.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Good jobtom

Originally posted by sir lurks alot
20 gold connectors from autozone rang up at $10.99 per 10 pack. Turns out they were mislabled, so I got them for the display price of
$5.99 a pack. total = $12 for all 20 connectors...
I just got off the phone with Autozone, and they said it was $4.99 for one 4 gauge terminal???
Old Aug 31, 2003, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Just drive on over to Autozone. They have packs for 8 gauge wires. They're packs of 10. I bought 3 because I wanted the black ones only (They have 5 red and 5 black). They were $9.99 each pack for me.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

I Just finished building and installing a DIY ground kit for my EVO and to be honest I haven't noticed anything really different. Is there suppose to be any thing notably different?

-randy
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Can anyone take a pic of this tranny bolt, so I can see what it looks like?
Old Sep 3, 2003, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I used a 10mm bolt for the tranny. Looks very similar to 10mm bolts used to ground the wires on the chasis.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Is there a good how to on this showing tha actual bolt locations?
Old Sep 4, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those DIY guys/gals, here is a online store where you can buy any 4/8 gauge terminal for less $$.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15908&DID=7
Old Sep 4, 2003, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

The tranny bolts are 10mm and 12mm or 13mm (not really sure, but they only cost less than $.50). Get a 3/4 inch long bolt. Any 10mm bolt will do!!!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Here's shots of my set-up. Man, I cant believe I forgot to see if the other tranny bolt is a 12 or 13mm...

Quick Reply: DIY Ground Kit for $20