Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

EGT Installation (yes I already searched)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT Installation (yes I already searched)

Well, got my Defi Gauges. EGTm Oil Pressure and Boost w/ Control Unit 2.

I've never done any work on cars before, besides a catback on my WRX.

From what I was reading in another thread you actually have to drill into the Exhaust Manifold? I thought there was already some sort of Bung I could put the sensor in? If not would you guys recommend me installing all the stuff minus the EGT?

I was looking for a local place to do the labor, and I decided to call Motorex. (even though they work with Nissans) They told me $240 for all the gauges. So here's my options:

1) Do all myself
2) Do all minus EGT
3) Pay the $240 and take my digi cam and take a buncha pics of whatever Skylines they have there to show to you guys

What do you guys think?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Re: EGT Installation (yes I already searched)

Originally posted by NappyK
Well, got my Defi Gauges. EGTm Oil Pressure and Boost w/ Control Unit 2.

I've never done any work on cars before, besides a catback on my WRX.

From what I was reading in another thread you actually have to drill into the Exhaust Manifold? I thought there was already some sort of Bung I could put the sensor in? If not would you guys recommend me installing all the stuff minus the EGT?

I was looking for a local place to do the labor, and I decided to call Motorex. (even though they work with Nissans) They told me $240 for all the gauges. So here's my options:

1) Do all myself
2) Do all minus EGT
3) Pay the $240 and take my digi cam and take a buncha pics of whatever Skylines they have there to show to you guys

What do you guys think?
Drill need
Drill bit 11/32
NPT 1/8 tap (sears has them for like 4 bucks) (DEFI NPT, Greddy BSPT (From england) and Omori (NPT or NP same thing)

I would suggest the mainfold be taken off.

But the way around taking the mainfold off

1.)Take off you heat sheild.
2.) Make sure the car is completely cool so you don't burn you self
3.) Start drilling no more then 2in way from the port stop before drilling completely throw.
4.) Start the car and let it idel and finish drilling. (you will need a very steady hand to make sure the hole is perfect.
5.) while the motor is running it will push the metal bits out of the mainfold. (Try to keep it clean it before drilling the hole completely throw)
6.) shot off motor and perpare your tap.
7.) Spray with WD40 (don't be separing)
8.) Start motor again
9.) tap with high heat gloves and take your time.

Done turn off you motor and screw in prob.

Dill opening in heatsheild and your done.

If you feel this is beound your ablity take it to a pro.

Eric
Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Take the manifold off if you want to be safer. Avoid putting debris through your turbine.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Take the manifold off if you want to be safer. Avoid putting debris through your turbine.
Yep! That's why I have not installed mine yet.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I asked this in one EGT thread about 2 weeks ago but no one answered:

- Where is the best place for the EGT Probe on the EVO?
- Which runner? The one closest to the passenger side of the car?
- What about doing it closer to the turbo, where 2 of the runners meetup to get an average reading from 2 cylinders?

I was thinking of semi-disasembling the car for the drilling part like this:

1) undo the turbo to manifold bolts.
2) remove the gasket
3) put a sheet metal plate over the turbo side inlet (so no shavings get in). use that metal exhaust tape to hold it in place.
4) drill at your will, then tap it.
5) start the car, and let the exhaust gases blow all the shavings out from the intake manifold. They should not get into the turbo as you nave a plate there to prevent that. The exhaust gases will just leak out from the gap. Wear eye protection in case you want to look to make sure no shavings hit your eye.
6) once the intake is clean of shavings, remove the the sheet matal plate, put the gasket back in and then tighten the turbo manifold bolts.

The above seems like less work and still safe as you prevent shavings from going into the turbo.

I do not know if the above procedure will work as I have never done it, but will be trying it out shortly...
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I say take it to Motorex.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yhea. Seeing any Skylines would be cool, but if you get motorex to do it, if anything breaks because of the install you might be able to pin it on them.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Many people use the #4 runner because it's furthest down the fuel rail, usually gets the least fuel so if there's a lean condition, and therefore will give the highest temps (and therefore err on the safe side).

Last edited by HobieKopek; Aug 13, 2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard 1st runner is the best way to go.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. How are you guys counting the runners, just to avoid any confusion. Are you refferring #1 runner to be:

a) the one closest to the passengers side of the car (EVO 8) or
b) the one closest to the drivers side of the car (EVO 8).

BTW, I hope that everyone is aware that although you run hotter as you go leaner, there becomes a point where running really, really lean actually lowers the EGT temps. So, be careful, just because you have low EGT's does not mean you are safe. You could actually be running dangerously lean, and I mean really dangerously lean as in you are about to break something. That is why having one of those cheapo A/F gauges is still good to have...

Tried to look for a graph for you guys with EGT vs A/F and this is the best I could come up with using a 30 second google search. But you should get the idea...

Graph from:
http://www.usfamily.net/web/alexpeterson/fuelflow.htm

Last edited by xtnct; Aug 13, 2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:19 AM

I think I'll do the EGT at Motorex. I'd rather learn to do the more difficult stuff on an older car, not my Evo

The Boost gauge I think I can do myself with the directions from Project Evo.

Now for the Oil Pressure the only thing I don't know is where the Pressure Switch is on the engine block. This won't require drilling will it?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NappyK

Now for the Oil Pressure the only thing I don't know is where the Pressure Switch is on the engine block. This won't require drilling will it?
Plug and play. You can also get ths sandwich from Defi or Greddy.

Eric
Old Aug 13, 2003, 04:21 PM

Okay. I've never tapped/spliced anything before. Today I was planning on installing the Control Unit only, since I don't have the brackets yet. I took off the center console and got in there fine. I found the Radio Harness....now my problem is....how exactly do I splice/tap the 4 wires? I've never seen a guide on splicing/tapping anything before.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Which cylinder is best to monitor on this engine? Someone said #1, someone said #4.

Since EGT is not really a good tuning tool, more like a warning and general health, and a quicker way to watch heat than waiting for the oil temp to rise too high. What about monitoring at the downpipe?

What are safe/normal EGTs for a stock Evo, measured where?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My EGT is in the downpipe for the record but 1. I dont' drive an Evo 2. my manifold is stainless, not cast, and 3. There's always the slight possibility of the probe becoming damaged and the last thing I want is parts of my EGT probe flying into and through my turbine. The EGT in my car will be used more for monitoring than tuning, so complete accuracy isn't essential.

Besides...that's what wideband O2's are for.

Quick Reply: EGT Installation (yes I already searched)