Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Defi BF boost gauge HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi BF boost gauge HELP!

I have just finished hooking up all the wiring necessary. However, when I turn the key to ignition ON, the boost gauge doesn't light up nor do I get a reading. However, I noticed that when I turn the parking lights ON, the Control Unit illuminates, but not the gauge. I double checked all my wirings with the Project Evo write-up. What's wrong with my setup??? I suspect that it is my wiring connection to the radio harness constant power that is faulty. I'm supposed to splice into the Black w/ Red stripe right? And if anyone has pictures of the wiring I would appreciate it greatly.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:47 PM

Anyone know which wire to tap for constant power? It doesn't seem to be the black w/ red stripe wire I spliced into...right now I've got it spliced into a red w/ yellow stripe (not sure if that's constant power though). ANYONE?
Old Aug 16, 2003, 07:16 PM

ericomundo,

I also used those instructions . I used the RED wire with the Black stripe. I used a volt meter to verify the connection was indeed 12V. I think the instructions must been a typo which is easy to confuse the color configuration. Hope this helps
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:41 PM

Always use a volt meter ...

It saves the day and is the safest way to work on any electrical projects, even if we know what it is already, it will not hurt to take a reading everytime.

cheers

gino

www.gb-motorsports.com
www.mpjperformance.com
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Did you plug the boost gauge to meter 1 or meter 2 on the control box? BF gauges plug into the meter 2 connector.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 02:09 PM
bs
Evolving Member

this must be why my control unit would never store the warning values after the car was turned off......good info.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 03:51 PM

I do have the gauge plugged into the Meter 2 slot. The gauge works fine now except for the fact that it doesn't store any of my set values, which means that I don't have it connected to a constant power supply. I know that I'm looking for a red wire w/ black stripe now, but where the heck is it???
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Usually constant power on a stereo harness is yellow. Red is switched ignition + and yellow is constant +. I hooked up my Defi control unit to the stereo harness as well. But I have an aftermarket radio and spliced into the harness coming out the back of the aftermarket radio which were clearly labeled what they are.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by IzenGreyEvo7
Usually constant power on a stereo harness is yellow. Red is switched ignition + and yellow is constant +. I hooked up my Defi control unit to the stereo harness as well. But I have an aftermarket radio and spliced into the harness coming out the back of the aftermarket radio which were clearly labeled what they are.
In a previous post, I believe KK tried splicing into a yellow wire (stock radio harness I assume) but it didn't turn out to be a constant power wire. Does anybody have a picture of their "spliced into" radio wiring harness for constant power? This is driving me nuts...I've already spliced into two wires that I THOUGHT were constant power but by checking the voltage turns out they weren't...somebody has to be out there running a boost gauge spliced into a constant power wire...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well run down to radio shack, buy a multi tester and find the right wire.