Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Making JDM headlights functional in usdm ix gsr

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Making JDM headlights functional in usdm ix gsr

Looked all over and every thread ended with no actual answer...

The IX GSR does not come with hids as we all know. So i'm planning on installing jdm evo8 or evo9 headlights. My problem is I don't know exactly what parts you need to make the hids/fogs fully functional. I want to be able to turn the fogs on and off from the cockpit with an oem button. I would also like to be able to adjust the hids from the cockpit, but that's probably pushing it...

Thanks for your help in advance
Old Jul 6, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Is this a failure of a question?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just get a IX GSR w/ the SSL package? I remember seeing a thread on here about converting a non-hid evo to use the oem hid ballats and housing and it looked like a nightmare.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMCT9MR
Why not just get a IX GSR w/ the SSL package? I remember seeing a thread on here about converting a non-hid evo to use the oem hid ballats and housing and it looked like a nightmare.
Yeah well finding a low mile IX is hard enough... I'm buying a WW IX with 10k miles.

Anyway I'm talking about using the jdm headlights so wouldn't the only problem be wiring them up?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kreeker
Yeah well finding a low mile IX is hard enough... I'm buying a WW IX with 10k miles.

Anyway I'm talking about using the jdm headlights so wouldn't the only problem be wiring them up?

Well if you are planning on just getting an aftermarket HID kit for the low beams and fogs than you may be able to wire everything in to work with the OEM switches. I was just suggesting trying to find a IX GSR w/ the SSL package because from what I saw on the thread of converting a non hid evo to run the oem components was more work than it was worth.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMCT9MR
Well if you are planning on just getting an aftermarket HID kit for the low beams and fogs than you may be able to wire everything in to work with the OEM switches. I was just suggesting trying to find a IX GSR w/ the SSL package because from what I saw on the thread of converting a non hid evo to run the oem components was more work than it was worth.
Oh trust me WW IX with SSL is the exact package I want, but it's coming down to the wire and the amount of low mile, stock IXs are dwindling.

So are you reading that i'm talking about swaping out usdm ix headlights for jdm viii headlights w/ fogs? I was thinking that my only real problem was going to be wiring the fogs to work with the oem fog switch from ssl/se/mr evos.... Now you're getting me nervous.

Last edited by Kreeker; Jul 9, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can be done but unless you can source the stock wiring easily, its a PIA. The stock way is the best though. This thread was very useful:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=299721
If wire it yourself, its not too bad. The leveling system is nice but not critical so you can leave it unplugged. For the fogs, wire them to the stock switch with a relay and call it a day.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skywarp
It can be done but unless you can source the stock wiring easily, its a PIA. The stock way is the best though. This thread was very useful:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=299721
If wire it yourself, its not too bad. The leveling system is nice but not critical so you can leave it unplugged. For the fogs, wire them to the stock switch with a relay and call it a day.
Found this also: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188012

I wish the guides were more step-by-step...