Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

turbo timer with aftermarket alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2003 | 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Here's how I fixed this issue:

The guys that installed my alarm told me that the yellow wire on the (viper) alarm harness was what sensed if the engine was running or not. They suggested to cut this wire, but after I did, the alarm thought the engine was never on, so it would start arming while I was driving. Obviously this wasn't a practical solution... So I busted out my voltmeter. What I found was that the yellow wire has 14V running through it when the engine is on, and 0 when the engine is off. I needed to find something that was 14V when the engine is on, and 0 when the key is removed and hook that up to the yellow wire input of the alarm. I tested the wires in the TT harness, but they didn't change when the key was removed, only when the engine turned off. Then somehow my eyes rested on the parking brake wire...

Testing showed that the parking brake wire was 0 when it was pulled up, and 14V when it was released. If I hooked that up to the yellow wire of the alarm, when the parking brake was pulled, the alarm would think the engine had been turned off, and would activate as soon as you opened and closed the doors (I have auto-lock and auto-activate on).

So I ran a wire from the gray wire of the parking brake sensor to the yellow input of the alarm, and it works perfectly, assuming of course that you pull the hand brake every time you get out of your car... The best thing was that the wires I tapped into were in the alarm harness and the TT harness so I didn't have to touch any factory wiring...

Hope this helps...
Old Dec 13, 2003 | 12:59 AM

"You should turn off the auto-lock/auto-unlock door feature"

How do you turn the "auto-lock" feature ON or OFF???

Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2003 | 05:41 PM

i posted this info a long time ago it is a sticky in the begining of this how to section..... 2 relays and your done .....
Old Feb 5, 2004 | 10:32 AM

Alarm

CompuStar alarms have a turbo timer feature. They work great!